DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i have a 2002 buick regal ls. I installed a new 220 amp alternator. It came with an overdrive pulley but i had to use the stock pulley because i thought the other pulley was too small and the belt would slip. I really want to use the overdrive pulley for more output but i need to know what size belt to use or if the smaller pulley will fit. The pulley size is about an inch difference. 6 groove. Also i cant find any tensioners so i think the 3800 series 2 uses the alt as a tensioner. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Maybe a half-inch shorter belt... Figure out the part number for your belt from one of the aftermarket companies (Gates, Gatorback, etc.) and find the length. Then look for the same belt but like half an inch shorter.

Pretty sure you've got a tensioner... should be spring loaded. I'm sure I could find it in 5 seconds if I looked at your car but...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wish the OP lots of luck with his venture. The last time I did something like that, I ended up purchasing 5 belts before I finally found one that would work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish the OP lots of luck with his venture. The last time I did something like that, I ended up purchasing 5 belts before I finally found one that would work.
Thanks i did find the tensioner and went to advance and rented the tool for it. This made the job extremely easy and the belt fit the pulley just fine. Thanks everyone for your input!

No more dimming at all, and battery hold 14.4v @idle
And just so everyone knows I bought my alt on ebay through powermaxusa. So yeah you dont have to spend a fortune to get good output. $153 :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just wondering what are you running that requires a bigger alt?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering what are you running that requires a bigger alt?
I have 2 amps. Polk Audio 330 for highs and Cadence ZRS 6000D on 2 Dayton Titanic MKIII 10's wired to a 2ohm load. I know it doesnt seem like much but i was getting major voltage drop. Now im not. :laugh:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Not to be mean or anything non of that would require a new alt by any means. Glad your issue is gone but just letting you know.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Not to be mean or anything non of that would require a new alt by any means. Glad your issue is gone but just letting you know.
Tough to say. Maybe his issue could have been fixed with some upgraded wiring and such, but hopefully his new alt gives him more power at idle than the stock one. Not all aftermarket HO alternators are very good at idle, but for those that are, they are much better for running a system like the OP's at idle.

·
Registered
898 Posts
First off you have to look at allot more then just the simple alt fact. Newer cars alts run 100% BUT have a cpu to monitor the draw. If you need 100% it will give you it. Need 50% it will give you it. Next we don't know his wiring situation nor how his install is. As I see it, if everything was done correctly, he would be fine on a 90 amp alt but he has a truck and is allot more. I'm going into electrical engineering and this is my field.

Note: He got some cheap Ebay alt and they are AWFUL. Good ones put out say 250 amp alt would do around 200 or so at idle. You get what you paid for and there is to many factors and for only that price to fix his issue, that isn't bad fyi.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
First off you have to look at allot more then just the simple alt fact. Newer cars alts run 100% BUT have a cpu to monitor the draw. If you need 100% it will give you it. Need 50% it will give you it. Next we don't know his wiring situation nor how his install is. As I see it, if everything was done correctly, he would be fine on a 90 amp alt but he has a truck and is allot more. I'm going into electrical engineering and this is my field.
Yes, this is also true. Some cars do this and some do not. And those that do can do it to different amounts. It really depends on the car.

DC Power told me that the recent GTO was really tough because of this, but my G8 either doesn't have the same system or it is much less bad. Likely the latter because my car DOES have a current sensing coil on the battery negative.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ya, my escape doesnt have anything like this either. just a very simple alt. ground and power out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok first of all i have a 2002 buick regal not a truck. It has power seats, heated seats, info center, daytime running lights, power locks, power windows etc. So with the stock alt powering my system would give me major voltage drop. I did the big 3 and deka intimidator as well. And everyone says you get what you pay for but im hitting 139.7 @34hz with my budget systems and it sounds amazing. So thats a wash. And i did require a bigger alt. As far as wiring goes im running 4 gauge knu for my amps and 0 gauge knu for my big 3. Also how do you know that alterrnator is junk? Have you ever used one? It states [email protected] which is probably legit. Im tired of brand snobs and haters. Try something out before you speculate and bash it.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Ok first of all i have a 2002 buick regal not a truck. It has power seats, heated seats, info center, daytime running lights, power locks, power windows etc. So with the stock alt powering my system would give me major voltage drop. I did the big 3 and deka intimidator as well. And everyone says you get what you pay for but im hitting 139.7 @34hz with my budget systems and it sounds amazing. So thats a wash. And i did require a bigger alt. As far as wiring goes im running 4 gauge knu for my amps and 0 gauge knu for my big 3. Also how do you know that alterrnator is junk? Have you ever used one? It states [email protected] which is probably legit. Im tired of brand snobs and haters. Try something out before you speculate and bash it.
I hope you werent refering to me, cause my "truck" has all that stuff too :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
That is very interesting indeed. My setup is a Zed amp, l1 pro r2 tweets, l6 mids and 2 jl 12w6v2's in a sealed box and it only required a 50 amp fuse on my stock 90 amp alt with .2-.3 voltage drop on bass notes. I did the big 3 with 0 gauge and power wire is 0 gauge. That is why it seems odd for me to see you needing a new alt and I'm glad that you got your issue fixed. I'm not bashing you for what you bought, just saying it isn't one of those "top alts".

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
That is very interesting indeed. My setup is a Zed amp, l1 pro r2 tweets, l6 mids and 2 jl 12w6v2's in a sealed box and it only required a 50 amp fuse on my stock 90 amp alt with .2-.3 voltage drop on bass notes.
What kind of meter did you use, for the record? DMMs often aren't fast enough for this purpose. You need an analog meter for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is very interesting indeed. My setup is a Zed amp, l1 pro r2 tweets, l6 mids and 2 jl 12w6v2's in a sealed box and it only required a 50 amp fuse on my stock 90 amp alt with .2-.3 voltage drop on bass notes. I did the big 3 with 0 gauge and power wire is 0 gauge. That is why it seems odd for me to see you needing a new alt and I'm glad that you got your issue fixed. I'm not bashing you for what you bought, just saying it isn't one of those "top alts".
The thing is i'd love a Zed amp and a "top" alternator but I have to spend my money on more important stuff at the moment. I am buying a house. So i guess its kind of a blessing in disguise. I get to try out some of the "budget" stuff now and see if i can save myself some money on future builds. Sorry if i thought you were bashing but it just seems like people cast stones without experience on these forum sites.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Then that is perfect! Glad it worked for you. Only reason why I sad what I sad was for other people if they had money was to pony up to make sure that they got a good one for their cash. GL with that house and no need to be sorry, I'm only here to help and have a good time learning :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts