DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current Setup:

-A carpc that will allow me to set crossover frequency, eq, and timebalance per channel
-MB quart dsc4125 providing 125 RMS x 4 at 4ohms.
-IDQ12 d4 v3 powered by mb quart dsc1500.1d

Right now running DLS Reference MS6a components up front, but looking for a bit more power and punch in the mids (very happy with the tweets, but probably would be easier to sell off as a set)

What mids and tweets would you recommend in this range? Ive considered the HAT imagines and ID CSX64 (without the crossover), but anything else I should look at in this range?

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2000 toyota solara, not sure if I can fit 7" drivers, but the mounting hole took the 6.5" pretty snugly so I doubt it. Is there a big benefit in fitting a 7?

Mounting depth: my DLS comps fit when mounted on a 3/4 ring with just about a half inch for clearance. They are 2.64" deep, so I'm guessing I can fit a 3" or so.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
A nice budget combo would be the Seas neo or Vifa XT25 tweeters with either the ScanSpeak Discovery series or the Peerless HDS mids.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so does this mean I can get a midbass or midrange speaker? I though I could only get a midbass if I was going to get a midrange to fill the gaps til the tweeters. Keep in mind I am running an idq12 in the trunk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The only people using midranges in car audio are those with 3-ways. People here do not not seem to know how to call a speaker by the correct name.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Current Setup:

-A carpc that will allow me to set crossover frequency, eq, and timebalance per channel
-MB quart dsc4125 providing 125 RMS x 4 at 4ohms.
-IDQ12 d4 v3 powered by mb quart dsc1500.1d

Right now running DLS Reference MS6a components up front, but looking for a bit more power and punch in the mids (very happy with the tweets, but probably would be easier to sell off as a set)

What mids and tweets would you recommend in this range? Ive considered the HAT imagines and ID CSX64 (without the crossover), but anything else I should look at in this range?

Thanks

Nothing wrong with the Hats, very nice speakers....make sure you do them justice by doing a solid install on them...good luck

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discovery and HDS are both out unless he wants 15cm (~5.9") drivers. He can't fit the 7"s he said.
I realize that - I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the smaller sizes. For that matter, maybe the SB Acoustics are worth a try.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I realize that - I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the smaller sizes. For that matter, maybe the SB Acoustics are worth a try.
They are valid options, sure. The SB may work because they have 17cm, not 18cm, so he might not need to step down to 15/16cm.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the responses so far. is there any benefit on going active with a passive set (such as the HAT imagines or ID CXS64) and ditching the crossovers?

I was thinking i could get better quality mids and tweets separately for the same $250...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
thanks for the responses so far. is there any benefit on going active with a passive set (such as the HAT imagines or ID CXS64) and ditching the crossovers?

I was thinking i could get better quality mids and tweets separately for the same $250...
The HAT only has a simple cap for the tweeter...you're not paying for crossovers that will not be used if you go active

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmm I've never heard of sb acoustics... Anywhere where I can get more info? Also does that mid need to go into a baffle?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts