DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 Ford Transit 350 XLT passenger low-roof. I need a head unit with a Metra kit and I have settled on the Apline ILX-W650 based on screen size and AA compatibility.

I live in San Diego and have spent a lot of time trying to demo higher end speakers without real luck. No one really demo's anything above Apline R which I didn't really like. I listen to a rock, indie and jazz for the most part and really enjoy a wide stage with emphasis on vocals.

I did get a chance to listen to a component set of Sinfoni Appasionato amp'd by an AudioControl D4.800 paired with powered sub ACS110LG-TW1 and was mind blown until I got the quote which included 14 hours of labor at $120hr and a total cost of $4600.

I have (2) more quotes below, the hertz quote I have not heard the speakers yet but will before committing. The second quote is for Audison Primas paired with a 5 channel Hertz (which model I could not identify). I really liked the sound of the Audison but not nearly as much as the Sinfoni/AudioControl.

Here is the Hertz quote which also includes rear coax speakers the second quote is $200 more and does NOT include rear speakers of any kind.

The hertz quote comes from a more window tint/alarm/stereo type business with good reviews but not a lot of the reviews were for custom stereo. The Audison quote comes from someone who made a point of showing my the speaker custom mitered brackets/foam rings, front and back sound deadening material and all soldered/shrink connections he uses.

HERTZ
Stereo:
Alpine (ILX-W650) $300
Dash Kit (99-5835G) $110
Harness/ Module (XSVI-5524-NAV) $75
Antenna Adaptor (40-EU10) $10
Video Bypass (TR-1) $15
SWC/ Backup Camera Retention Harness (AX-FDSYNC-SWC) $15
Install/ Labor $100
Subtotal: $700

Speakers:
Hertz Mille Pro 6.5" Component Speaker (MPK 1650.3) $550
Hertz Cento 6.5" Coaxial Speaker (CX 165) $180
Install/ Labor $100 (
Subtotal: $830

Subwoofer:
JL Audio (12W0v3-4) $120
Single Sealed 12" Sub Box $40
Install/ Labor: $20
Subtotal: $180

Amplifier (5Ch./4Ch.):
JL Audio 5 Channel Amplifier (RD 900/5) $550
Elite Audio 4AWG Amplifier Kit $30
Elite Audio RCA's $20
Install/ Labor $100
Subtotal: $700

Complete Sound deadening of 2 front doors; $100

TOTAL $2510

Here is the second quote for the Audison

Apline 650 $300
Metra Kit $65
Stereo labor $200
Audison Prima Compenent $330
Audison labor install $160
Adapters $80
Rings $30
Hertz 5 channel amp (no model given) $600
Amp Wire $150
Amp Install Labor $300
Sound deadening 2 front doors $60
JL10TW3 and box $450
No rear speakers

Total $2725

·
Registered
597 Posts
in both quotes neither of those subs make sense and I suspect you'd be disappointed in the output from both.

In the Hertz quote, you have a 12" in the wrong ohm load of 4 when it should be 2 to maximize the 500W power of the amp and that sub isn't capable of using the 500W. So you should opt for a better model like the JL 12w3-2 ohm to handle 500W and make use of your available power.

In the audison quote, a shallow mount 10TW3 makes no sense if you were going to be able to fit a 12W0. Replace it for the 12w3 which should be a little cheaper and get better output.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in both quotes neither of those subs make sense and I suspect you'd be disappointed in the output from both.

In the Hertz quote, you have a 12" in the wrong ohm load of 4 when it should be 2 to maximize the 500W power of the amp and that sub isn't capable of using the 500W. So you should opt for a better model like the JL 12w3-2 ohm to handle 500W and make use of your available power.

In the audison quote, a shallow mount 10TW3 makes no sense if you were going to be able to fit a 12W0. Replace it for the 12w3 which should be a little cheaper and get better output.
That is exactly the kind of feedback I needed, I never in a million years would have caught that. Thank you very much

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
the second quote is kind of wonky on labor break down. #200 bucks to drop in a head unit plus $65 for an dash kit and no mention of any harness. You could littterally buy that from Crutchfield, get a free dashkit and install it yourself in 15 minutes. $300 to install an amp when i bet they will literally screw it to a board under a seat. And then only $60 to deaden two doors. I'm guessing thats 2 sheets of roadkill then. So they will not be deadened LOL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any reason you don't want to try installing things yourself? You'll be surprised at how easy a lot of this stuff is and it'll save you some coin

·
Registered
21 Posts
I work for a car haul company based out of the Ford assembly plant that builds the Transits. I drive them every day. I can assure you that you will have a HUGE amount of panel vibrations with any descent amout of bass. You will spend a fortune in sound damping material to do the job right and make it sound right. Nearly every trim panel on the sides will nead to be treated. I do think it would be a good platform for a system especially if you can do the work yourself. Just wanted you to be aware of the potential issues ahead. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news(and a Debbie Downer) but better now than after spending thousands of dollars and being disappointed with the results. Personally I would learn how to do it myself and save the cost of install and use that money to buy extra sound deadener to do the whole dang thing. (Personally I’ve been day dreaming about putting a system in one since they first came out.)
Adam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the second quote is kind of wonky on labor break down. #200 bucks to drop in a head unit plus $65 for an dash kit and no mention of any harness. You could littterally buy that from Crutchfield, get a free dashkit and install it yourself in 15 minutes. $300 to install an amp when i bet they will literally screw it to a board under a seat. And then only $60 to deaden two doors. I'm guessing thats 2 sheets of roadkill then. So they will not be deadened LOL.
In fairness the metra kit is around 60 but overall I was surprised at the Audison guy giving me a handwritten quote when his shop was so professional and organized. The window tint/alarm/stereo Hertz guy sent me a detailed and professional quote.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work for a car haul company based out of the Ford assembly plant that builds the Transits. I drive them every day. I can assure you that you will have a HUGE amount of panel vibrations with any descent amout of bass. You will spend a fortune in sound damping material to do the job right and make it sound right. Nearly every trim panel on the sides will need to be treated. I do think it would be a good platform for a system especially if you can do the work yourself. Just wanted you to be aware of the potential issues ahead. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news(and a Debbie Downer) but better now than after spending thousands of dollars and being disappointed with the results. Personally I would learn how to do it myself and save the cost of install and use that money to buy extra sound deadener to do the whole dang thing. (Personally I’ve been day dreaming about putting a system in one since they first came out.)
Adam
Yikes! My plan was to put the sub in the middle seat in the row directly behind the drivers seat. I don't really enjoy large amounts of bass, just want enough to fill the bottom spectrum.

I am not comfortable pulling the dash and wiring a HU and 5 channel amp. I think post install, if vibration is as much an issue as you say it will be, I could pull the seats and panels and go crazy with sound deadener. I kinda like the idea and the van is pretty noisy already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any reason you don't want to try installing things yourself? You'll be surprised at how easy a lot of this stuff is and it'll save you some coin
I am a stay at home dad to 3 preschool children and I just don't have the time.. I am also a really big guy, I have seen the wiring involved and I cannot see my large sausage fingers connecting and running that kind or wire. The Hertz quote has crazy cheap labor rates....which is great if he does a good job with install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts