DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd SQ Install - First Log - 2011 Subaru Legacy

Well the time has come. I am doing some major overhauls on the car in preparation for next year's Meca build (Modified Class), but I still need to stay in my class restrictions for now (Stock Class).

What it's going in:

Most of this stuff is coming out, the sub and HU will stay, as will the Soundstream Reference amp:

And a pic of the dash where the A-pillar pods will be mounted:

And here is the equipment list of what is going in for now:

Head Unit
- Pioneer 80 PRS

Amps
- Soundstream Reference 370.2 (Tweeters)
- Rockford Fosgate T600-4 - Bridged (Midrange)
- Rockford Fosgate T600-4 - Bridged (MidBass)
- Rockford Fosgate T1000-1BDCP (Sub)
- 100 Farad Hybrid Capacitor (Possibly)

Speakers
- Soundstream TWT.6 (Tweeters)
- Fountek FR88ex (Midrange) (might be getting changed to the Tang Band Bamboo 3", will depend on how the amps sound)
- Peerless HDS GFC 6.5" (Midbass)
- JL Audio 12W6v2

Battery
- Kinetic HC2000
- Toolmaker Metalworks Battery Posts {(4) 1/0 and (2) 4ga)}

Wiring
- 1/0 OFC Front to back
- 2 Gauge OFC front to back
- (2) Toolmaker Metalworks ANL Fuse Holders
- Solid Copper Custom Distribution Plate
- 4 Gauge from distro to Amps
- DB Link Competition Series RCA Cables
- 12ga OFC to speakers

Sound Deadener
Alpha Damp
Fat Mat
Cheap Ebay Sound Deadener

And Pictures of some of it:

Time to get to work, I will keep you guys updated on my progress. Here's to hoping I don't burn down my car! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not very exciting, but I got my new saw horses built. It's probably good the wife isn't here, since I did it in the living room. Apparently I picked the hottest day of the summer to start this. On to the amp rack template!

Swyped while swerving

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to go with an "amp rack" mounted to the back of my back seats, but there was just plastic sheeting back there. I got some 3/4" MDF and made a new back for the amps to hold on to.

You can see where the my JL 500/1 used to be mounted, and also where it pulled out of the plastic:

Mocking up a template from cardboard:

I know a lot of people have problems with the Parts Express brand bar clamps, saying that they break very easily... They do. However for light jobs, they work out great!

I cut the board at a 30 degree angle to help the fabric on the back lay nicer, so it didn't look so bulged up

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and dif ur limited on soace..get a palm router. Will be much faster than ur jigsaw :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Limited on space how? I also have a skill saw, but didn't feel like getting it out. And not that I know you're going to be watching I will have to step up my game, lol.

Yes, it is very hot out, but let the wife come home to tools in the living room, it'll be much cooler outside. haha
Seriously good work there, take time, measure twice, hope it all works out smoothly for you.
This went really quick, but measurements were not precise as nothing was going to be showing, so a template was enough. But yes, I have made that mistake too many times, lol.

·
4,981 Posts
Limited on space how? I also have a skill saw, but didn't feel like getting it out. And not that I know you're going to be watching I will have to step up my game, lol.

This went really quick, but measurements were not precise as nothing was going to be showing, so a template was enough. But yes, I have made that mistake too many times, lol.
oh i meant if you dont have space for a full router table, a palm router would save you a lot of time, a single pass with a chamfer would be a lot faster than cutting with the jigsaw set at the angle :)

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, yeah I definitely don't have room for a full on table. I would at my old house. I was looking at a nice plunger router, just don't know what to look for exactly, never had one before.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this makes another 5th generation Legacy owner who will be watching this build. :)
Very nice, I love those wheels!

These cars really make great SQ cars, high roof, open interior, symmetrical dash, only if the sail panels were accessible.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I should have most of it done in the next few days, minus the Pillars.

·
4,981 Posts
For ur needs meaning finishing work without a table a palm is the way to go. Look for the variospeed bosch. I ran 3 years without a table and did well with it. Not too expensive either at 150 bucks. Wout a table plunge full size is best used to cut circles. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bing. Still would love a list of the equipment that you will be using please. :)
There is a list at the end of the first post

Swyped while swerving

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the first one set in, it doesn't look bad, and holds pretty well. I will have to figure something out about the wires when I re-wire everything, the board is slightly pushing against the false floor where the power wires are ran right now. Here is where it sits, I'll get the other side and some more prep work done tomorrow morning, or tomorrow afternoon if I go to the lake in the morning.

This is what I am thinking, with the SS Ref amp on the other side, then mount the T1000-1 to the back of the box, or against a wall. I don't think it will look as good, but it will be more functional, I guess. Thoughts? Should I mount the 3 similar amps together and make it look good, or keep the stages together for wiring purposes? I have always gone function>form, but I would be interested to see what other people think.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts