103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current setup is:

07 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
PPI 356cs Comps in Door
Kicker CompVT 8" Sub Under seat
Audiocontrol EQS
PDX 4.150

I have an Alpine PXE-h660 on order for TA and autotuning, but still plan to use the EQS.

My question is about the benefit I will get from going to a larger sub for SQ oriented music. I am looking at this 2x10" (or 2x12") custom box for the back:

02-10 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Dual Sub Box

I am going for a SQ install, and don't have any experience with big subs. Wondering how much this sub will improve SQ. I figure with a bigger sub, I can add more midbass.

Or should I stay with the small 8" sub and focus on tuning and the front stage?

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
That is exactly what you need to decide. Do you want more bass or do you desire better midrange and upper frequencies? A way to help you decide is how far do you plan to alter your vehicle for this install? Because you can only go so far with door mounted mids and tweets.

Less excursion usually means less distortion; additional cone area means you can achieve more output with less excursion.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
This probably depends on the type of music you listen and volume level. I can imagine that 8 inch subwoofer could provide good output for some scenarios and so so in other cases. Other things being equal, the 8 inch subs should roll off their deep bass output faster than larger subs. They also will need more power compared to a larger subwoofer. A larger subwoofer will reach a given output level with less excursion, which is good for SQ. However, with the right amount of tuning you can get great SQ from either 8 inch subs or 12 inch subs. I would first concentrate on identifying the constraints of your vehicle and deciding first, what kind of equipment these will allow, and then select equipment. Having said this, I personally prefer larger subwoofers in sealed box. A single 10 would work well for SQ sound, but music with thick, heavy bass may strain it and the amplifier.

The box you linked, strangely says that the 10inch version has more mounting depth than the 12 inch version. Perhaps, the web site swapped the specs? Go for the one with 6.75" depth. That will give you more options. Given the internal volume of the box, 10 inch subs would probably work better, unless you can fit Dayton Reference HO subs into it (they can work well in small sealed box)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts