DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have (3)JL 10w6s Dual 6 0hm Wired in Series Parallel and running bridged on My Phoneix Gold zx500. I wanted to build a new enclosure in my VW GTI's spare tire well . Currently they are in simple rectangle box and all in separate sealed enclosures filled with poly fill.

I was planning on doing a single shared enclosure, out of fiberglass and MDF. I figure i will do all of the straight runs out of MDF, and just glass up to the curved sections.

It's not to scale , but , like, this...

The JL specs say that the subs need .625 of cubic space. This is smaller than what size space they are currently in which is around 1.25 ft3.

i was going to build the enclosure to give them each 1 ft3 of space or larger, by just increasing the overall height of the box until i got the extra space i need. I was also going to RAAMat and polyfill to inside of the box as well.

So my questions is since there are pro's and con's to everything, what are the pro's or con's (read mistakes) to using a shared enclosure for three drivers.

Also if you have thoughts on box volume feel free to share those too..

Rizza

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not sure of any pros other than ease of construction. The con I know of is if one sub stops working than the other two subs think they are playing in a much larger enclosure. So if you built a 3 cf enclosure for three subs, and one sub stops working, he other two subs will behave as if they are playing in a 1.5 cf enclosure. Make sense?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The con I know of is if one sub stops working than the other two subs think they are playing in a much larger enclosure. So if you built a 3 cf enclosure for three subs, and one sub stops working, he other two subs will behave as if they are playing in a 1.5 cf enclosure. Make sense?
That makes sense, since the "dead driver" is now just part of the baffle. I think you would notice a difference in sound right away though ? y/n ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What kind of bracing exactly, i figuring allot of the box has flat sides, like the very bottom of the spare tire well, back and side walls, the baffle as well.

You suggest some "extra" diagnols, here and there just to tighten everything up? Sort of like gussets?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
A common chamber for all three subs will equalize any minor differences between the subs and turn them into one coherent driver (which is the point of the single channel of power anyway).

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
What kind of bracing exactly, i figuring allot of the box has flat sides, like the very bottom of the spare tire well, back and side walls, the baffle as well.

You suggest some "extra" diagnols, here and there just to tighten everything up? Sort of like gussets?

Make some full span shelf braces and cut out squares in each corner leaving it looking like a + sign........ inside of a square of course.;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Every 10W6 I ever saw used 3 in a common enclosure to get to that magic 4ohm easy load. I actually don't think I'd ever heard a box that was 3 separate boxes. Just think, one box, they'll all smooth out their inconsistencies as they all share one airspace "spring".

I remember JL even making those fiberglass baffles you could buy, to either mount your subs in a row, or in the shape of a triangle. And they had those nice smooth rounded edges. I don't know if they're still made but they were paintable and looked great installed.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Every 10W6 I ever saw used 3 in a common enclosure to get to that magic 4ohm easy load. I actually don't think I'd ever heard a box that was 3 separate boxes. Just think, one box, they'll all smooth out their inconsistencies as they all share one airspace "spring".

I remember JL even making those fiberglass baffles you could buy, to either mount your subs in a row, or in the shape of a triangle. And they had those nice smooth rounded edges. I don't know if they're still made but they were paintable and looked great installed.
I remember those. Very slick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
???'s with this box i built.

Thanks to everyone for their input. In the end i did'nt bother to tub out the spare tire well, as i just couldnt get enough clearance behind the magnets, with my orginal design.

So i ended up just fabbing up a full MDF box, that i shot with 16guage nails, and glued & clamped overnight. I initialy was going to use screws, but even after pre-drilling, and countersinking, i was still splitting the MDF, so i stopped using screws. I was a little concerned about the strengths of a few of these seams, so i just went ahead and fiberglassed the inside edges for a little extra support.

My main concern though is still the depth of the box on the one side. You can see the speaker sits close to the inside bottom edge. I measured and checked this dimension a couple of times, and it's about 1 1/2" gap.

Will this cause a problem, or should i be okay, Also i was going to add polyfill to this box, but wasnt sure exactly how? Should i just lay along the bottom edges, or stuff the left and right sides, and throw some in the bottom.

Also here is picture of the completed box.

And here is a link to my build log.
Picasa Web Albums - Rizza - 02 GTI 337 Ed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts