DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the how high do you cross your sub thread i had the idea that if you cross your sub at 100hz and you could get a speaker that covers 100hz and above you possibly could have a system with only 3 speakers ??

So say if i cross my mag v4 @ 100hz and use these wide band home drivers above 100hz and have a 3 speaker system ??

Jordan JXR6 High Definition drive unit

Less speakers = less set up/settings/crossover issues ?

100hz crossover point keeps the vocals clear of any crossover/phase issues ?

Sorry if this is a dumb idea but i thought i'd throw it out there incase it does have any merit ?

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
You could just buy a jensen three way 6x9 circa. 1987 and have no signal processor, no crossovers and only one amp. It really eliminates a lot of work, lots of wiring and lots of worrying over settings (not to mention lots of control).

Thats how I did it in 1987,:D

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I like the idea, myself. I think you could get away with a higher crossover point with the Mag V4, though. From what I have read, the Mag will play quite high and sound good. Remember, the critical vocal range is around 300-3000 Hz. You might want to keep your fullrange drivers fairly on-axis to keep the upper-end response from falling off too sharply.

·
Registered
891 Posts
After reading the how high do you cross your sub thread i had the idea that if you cross your sub at 100hz and you could get a speaker that covers 100hz and above you possibly could have a system with only 3 speakers ??
Yes... :)

So say if i cross my mag v4 @ 100hz and use these wide band home drivers above 100hz and have a 3 speaker system ??

Jordan JXR6 High Definition drive unit

Less speakers = less set up/settings/crossover issues ?
You're exactly right... :)

100hz crossover point keeps the vocals clear of any crossover/phase issues ?
It certainly does... ;)

Sorry if this is a dumb idea but i thought i'd throw it out there incase it does have any merit ?
Not a dumb question and you've answered most of your own questions as to the inherent advantages already. An issue to consider, as you probably already know, would be the amplitude capability of the system and optimizing the x-over points and filters to utilize the Jordan to its' fullest. And, as has already been mentioned, careful aiming of the speaker.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back guys, i was planning to run them on or fairly close to on axis, only problem is where to mount them as they opimally need 3ltrs sealed or may be try 2ltrs but this will lose me a bit of lower end response ?

·
Registered
891 Posts
^^^ If it were me, I'd do whatever I could to afford the drivers an optimally-sized enclosure since sacrificing low end response would be one of the last things I'd want to do with these drivers in this system. Have fun and keep us posted... :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have always had problems localizing drivers playing above 70-80 Hz behind me. The problem is reduced with brick-wall low-pass filters, but I really hate to hear the sub. So I've not used a crossover point that high in a rear-sub vehicle in years and years.

Which is not to say you aren't stuffing that mag V4 in the front floor of your E9x:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's all conjecture at the moment, it might still need a pair of midbass drivers in the front to get it sounding right ?

I've found a new driver similar to the jordans, it needs to be hp slightly higher at 350-400hz but it only needs a tiny enclosure so building an on axis a piller build will be a lot easier.

I'm not sure if 350-400hz is a bit too close to the vocal range as thats one thing i'm trying to avoid ?

BB 2.01 - Lautsprecher Selbstbau by blue planet acoustic

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have always had problems localizing drivers playing above 70-80 Hz behind me. The problem is reduced with brick-wall low-pass filters, but I really hate to hear the sub. So I've not used a crossover point that high in a rear-sub vehicle in years and years.

Which is not to say you aren't stuffing that mag V4 in the front floor of your E9x:)
If you are localizing the sub that low, its other noises that are pulling your attention to the back

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Is that Jordan speaker a 2"? Maybe I'm wrong because I've never heard a full range speaker in the pillars, but seems to me it wouldn't have enough output between 100-300hz. It sure would be nice if it did, make things alot easier.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Is that Jordan speaker a 2"? Maybe I'm wrong because I've never heard a full range speaker in the pillars, but seems to me it wouldn't have enough output between 100-300hz. It sure would be nice if it did, make things alot easier.
Pretty dam impressive for a 2 inch driver. 6mm p-p excursion. Following is in liters from the site:

Vb Fb Qb F-3
4 106 0.66 115
3 113 0.7 114
2 126 0.78 115
1.5 139 0.86 119
1 160 1.0 127

To the OP, if you can control the vibrations caused by the subwoofer to remove localization, it would work very well for you. I would go with a kickpanel location sealed since it would be easier to do (although ~2 liters isn't asking for much)

·
Registered
524 Posts
gallo a'diva go down to 80hz and their micros go down to 120hz (3" widebanders, paper cone out to 18k, aluminum out to 22k). I am running a 10" and 2 micros passively crossed over at 120hz in my 2nd system at home and love it. It would be interesting to hear a system with micros on the dash. Home Theater Speakers | Gallo Stereo Speakers for info. Anthony Gallo is a good guy to talk to as well. jps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gallo a'diva go down to 80hz and their micros go down to 120hz (3" widebanders, paper cone out to 18k, aluminum out to 22k). I am running a 10" and 2 micros passively crossed over at 120hz in my 2nd system at home and love it. It would be interesting to hear a system with micros on the dash. Home Theater Speakers | Gallo Stereo Speakers for info. Anthony Gallo is a good guy to talk to as well. jps
Thanks for the link, looks good

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty dam impressive for a 2 inch driver. 6mm p-p excursion. Following is in liters from the site:

Code:
Vb	Fb	Qb	F-3
4	106	0.66	115
3	113	0.7	114
2	126	0.78	115
1.5	139	0.86	119
1	160	1.0	127
To the OP, if you can control the vibrations caused by the subwoofer to remove localization, it would work very well for you. I would go with a kickpanel location sealed since it would be easier to do (although ~2 liters isn't asking for much)
I must get around to researching speaker specs' so i know what they mean, F-3/etc goes right over my head at the moment.

Thanks about the sub vibration info, i still can't decide which way would be the best set up, obviously i started this thread of saying three speakers but i'm leaning towards five. Or maybe 4 if i can get enough base with out a sub ?

2 x micro/widbands
2 x midbase, use my dyn MW160 for starters then maybe move on to some 8" ?
1 x Mag V4 12" sub

I don't think i'd be able to get an 8" driver in my doors but i might be able to put them on the floor just infront of the seats if i can get them in a small sealed enclosure.

CDT do some 8" subs that go into about 0.5 cft.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had a setup that you are describing ( full range drivers + midbass) and I loved it. If you go sealed in the front with a good woofer you can get low enough to not need a sub. Hard part is squeezing the enclosure in ;)

I must get around to researching speaker specs' so i know what they mean, F-3/etc goes right over my head at the moment.

Thanks about the sub vibration info, i still can't decide which way would be the best set up, obviously i started this thread of saying three speakers but i'm leaning towards five. Or maybe 4 if i can get enough base with out a sub ?

2 x micro/widbands
2 x midbase, use my dyn MW160 for starters then maybe move on to some 8" ?
1 x Mag V4 12" sub

I don't think i'd be able to get an 8" driver in my doors but i might be able to put them on the floor just infront of the seats if i can get them in a small sealed enclosure.

CDT do some 8" subs that go into about 0.5 cft.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Andy, I'm searching for a similar setup myself. I'm searching for a pair of wideband drivers to put in the pillars plus a pair of 10" midbass (Peerless SLS) to put in the doors & call it a day. I'm afraid this won't satisfy my bass craving though.
Another option I'm looking into is using a pair of Stereo Integrity 12" BM's in the doors when they come out. They have a mounting depth of 3.5", & Nick, the owner says they will be designed to play up to 500hz.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts