DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Listener of Music
3,427 Posts
The Dayton has signal sense so it depends on how you set it up. My son's car doesn't have a headunit with the Dayton. So you don't is remote.

Do have the wired remote? I had a lot of noise and PE swapped the unit out for me. It then went to an acceptable amount.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
I had a lot of noise with the Dayton dsp. Parts express told me that it doesn’t like high pre out voltages

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got a Dayton as well and after installing a Kicker Keyloc I've got lots of engine whine at start up only, couple seconds. Had some before but much more now. I wonder if the higher voltage from the KEYLOC is the cause? I wanna verify my RCA's etc but I'll check the output gain to see if it's high, don't recall ticking it though. Also, the Dayton is single ended vs the KEYLOC and my amps being differential.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ty for the replys, now that I am over the hump and have sound I can hear why I wanted this unit in the first place.

Now I always had some of that 'noise' up front but I usually listen fairly loud so it was never a problem but obviously with the DSP its on another level.

Even at my highest listening level I can still hear it, it goes down a notch or two or something drops out of the 'noise' when the engine is off.

Is there any type of troubling shooting I could go through.

For instance I ordered a distribution block and going to tie all 4 amps and the dsp into something under the back seat.

Considering the sound was there but much lower could it be one of the rca patch cords?

And if it is the high voltage of my hu, 5v, is there anything I can do to mitigate that?

Thanks again folks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been hearing more and more "noise" issues with the Dayton DSP they seam to be hit and miss and the BT module even more miss for induced noise.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got a Dayton as well and after installing a Kicker Keyloc I've got lots of engine whine at start up only, couple seconds. Had some before but much more now. I wonder if the higher voltage from the KEYLOC is the cause? I wanna verify my RCA's etc but I'll check the output gain to see if it's high, don't recall ticking it though. Also, the Dayton is single ended vs the KEYLOC and my amps being differential.

I'm my case is the unit itself (although i didn't check without Bluetooth plugged in) I'm going to have PE either replace it refund mine.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
Ty for the replys, now that I am over the hump and have sound I can hear why I wanted this unit in the first place.

Now I always had some of that 'noise' up front but I usually listen fairly loud so it was never a problem but obviously with the DSP its on another level.

Even at my highest listening level I can still hear it, it goes down a notch or two or something drops out of the 'noise' when the engine is off.

For instance I ordered a distribution block and going to tie all 4 amps and the dsp into something under the back seat.

Considering the sound was there but much lower could it be one of the rca patch cords?

And if it is the high voltage of my hu, 5v, is there anything I can do to mitigate that?

Thanks again folks
Which head unit? I told them I had Kenwood excelon that was 5V and they said that’s too much for this dsp. The Dayton works best 4v and lower.
so I sold it and got a Jl twk88 It was better. Eventually sold it got helix! I’m my opinion after using 3 different dsp there is no reason at all to skimp and get anything but the helix! There is no comparison to helix. When I got the helixthe first night I just entered the crossovers, time alignment and volume levels and with out every making a single eq adjustment is sounded better than 6 months of tuning with the Jl twk88. 😳 bite the bullet and get a helix

·
Registered
338 Posts

Thanks again folks
If you isolate the dayton dsp with AC power (literally plug it into to a ac-dc wall plug/usb/thing) that will tell you if its a ground loop or something related causing noise. You could try DC-DC isolators or something like that in your car to fix it. Mini dsp sells these for their 2x4 boards.

If the noise is still present with the isolated power first try a 3.5mm to RCA cable and connected directly to a phone or laptop (make sure this device is charging on car electrical). I batteried power device should rule out ground loops on the HU and noise picked up by the RCA. If this fixes the noise you then have to figure out if the noise is from a HU ground loop or RCA picking something up via their path in the vehicle (or ****ty shielding).

Try routing a 2nd pair of RCA between the source (hu) and dsp. Route this outside the car to avoid any electrical interference. If it goes away, get better shielded rcas.

For the HU, run a fresh power and ground from the battery or amp distribution.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I just completed the installation on my first 3-way system a few days ago. I have not yet tuned it, but OMG I wish I would have done this a lot sooner in my life. The amount of detail in the mids and upper bass is amazing! I'm trying to decide if I want to tear apart my door panel and do a 4-way system, but I can't bring myself to make "permanent" changes to my car right now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hi all and once again thank for the replys, my guess is either its the unit, as many have had the issue or the 5v from my Kenwood HU are simply too much.

Today I just finished redoing all my wiring and consolidated my grounds and the noise is still there.

I read many of the ideas here and I do have 3 sets of rca's coming from the HU and tried them all and still noise.

When I had the same setup with the passive crossovers for the mids and the Boss Audio BX 55 for the midbass I did not have anywhere near this level of back ground noise.

I would love to get a Helix but its just not in the budget and now I can't even find a second Boss Audio BX 55 to use for a second band pass.

Any ideas?

Should I go through the process at least once and try for a new one from PE?

Is there any other option to get a second band pass filter for my mid range?

Thanks again folks I very much appreciate the thoughts and idea's.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi all and once again thank for the replys, my guess is either its the unit, as many have had the issue or the 5v from my Kenwood HU are simply too much.

Today I just finished redoing all my wiring and consolidated my grounds and the noise is still there.

I read many of the ideas here and I do have 3 sets of rca's coming from the HU and tried them all and still noise.

When I had the same setup with the passive crossovers for the mids and the Boss Audio BX 55 for the midbass I did not have anywhere near this level of back ground noise.

I would love to get a Helix but its just not in the budget and now I can't even find a second Boss Audio BX 55 to use for a second band pass.

Any ideas?

Should I go through the process at least once and try for a new one from PE?

Is there any other option to get a second band pass filter for my mid range?

Thanks again folks I very much appreciate the thoughts and idea's.
You keep stating the 5v preouts are too much, I dont think you understand what output voltage is. I feel like you haven't followed the troubleshooting recommendations. did you try powering it externally?

If you're certain that you've tried everything contact PE for a replacement/return. I'd recommend a minidsp cdsp 6x8 for the money its a more robust option and has digital coax inputs (noise free).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You keep stating the 5v preouts are too much, I dont think you understand what output voltage is. I feel like you haven't followed the troubleshooting recommendations. did you try powering it externally?

If you're certain that you've tried everything contact PE for a replacement/return. I'd recommend a minidsp cdsp 6x8 for the money its a more robust option and has digital coax inputs (noise free).

I don't fully understand, thats correct but I have seen it mentioned numerous times now in my research that the DSP-408 does not like high out put HU and even the PE tech guy was saying it seems to work far better in a home environment rather than car.

I am not a stupid person but that does not mean I know alot about electronics, I have logic and common sense and figured I have now crossed off many of the issues it could be as it relates to this new noise thats been added to my system since swapping the Boss Audio BX55 for this dsp.

I even took the head unit out and moved those wires around while powered up to see if anything was happening in that regard.

Hopefully you are still here....can I use my head units crossovers with my amps to create a band pass?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sorry and the 5v comment is partly my thinking using that common sense that maybe the DSP is just very sensitive to a higher input voltage.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry and the 5v comment is partly my thinking using that common sense that maybe the DSP is just very sensitive to a higher input voltage.
What is the V out at 70% volume? You have full control of it so just dont clip the dsp input. Unless the argument is that the HU is so noisy at low input voltage that you cant use it, then I might buy it... But that's a HU issue not the dsp.

A band pass xover is just a hpf and lpf. So technically you probably can do it. I'm too lazy too look up info on your amps and hu to double check but feel free to post some screen shots of the manuals or something.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
What is the V out at 70% volume? You have full control of it so just dont clip the dsp input. Unless the argument is that the HU is so noisy at low input voltage that you cant use it, then I might buy it... But that's a HU issue not the dsp.

A band pass xover is just a hpf and lpf. So technically you probably can do it. I'm too lazy too look up info on your amps and hu to double check but feel free to post some screen shots of the manuals or something.

That makes sense about the HU and 70% volume but if the switching device or whatever is in the DSP can't or won't adjust to a higher incoming voltage then thats my guess where the noise is coming from.

I did not have this noise before I introduced the DSP into my system so I'm guessing that rules out the HU being the source of the noise beyond the aformentioned 5v output not playing nice with the DSP.

Seems to be many with the noise issue but some got relief by doing an exchange.

Logic tells me I should be able to make a bandpass I just need to be sure the amps can do the frequencies needed.

I only need say the midbass amp to do it, the Rockford Fosgate P500X2 because I can use the Boss Audio crossover to band pass the midrange.

·
Registered
338 Posts
That makes sense about the HU and 70% volume but if the switching device or whatever is in the DSP can't or won't adjust to a higher incoming voltage then thats my guess where the noise is coming from.

I did not have this noise before I introduced the DSP into my system so I'm guessing that rules out the HU being the source of the noise beyond the aformentioned 5v output not playing nice with the DSP.

Seems to be many with the noise issue but some got relief by doing an exchange.

Logic tells me I should be able to make a bandpass I just need to be sure the amps can do the frequencies needed.

I only need say the midbass amp to do it, the Rockford Fosgate P500X2 because I can use the Boss Audio crossover to band pass the midrange.
best bet is contacting PE support and see what they can do. Personally not a fan of using amps to xover drivers. Just a heads up, the dials are super accurate so use your ears to figure out where the xover is set (or dmm).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
best bet is contacting PE support and see what they can do. Personally not a fan of using amps to xover drivers. Just a heads up, the dials are super accurate so use your ears to figure out where the xover is set (or dmm).

Will do and ty.

The Fosgate amp says up to 250hz which would be perfect for doing 75hz to 250hz for the midbass bandpass.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Will do and ty.

The Fosgate amp says up to 250hz which would be perfect for doing 75hz to 250hz for the midbass bandpass.
I meant to say the amp xover dials are NOT super accurate. But I think you got it. I used an amp for a similar situation a couple years back. My HU could only do 2 way + sub with limited xover settings

41 - 58 of 58 Posts