DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So i need help with choosing wattage levels for my 3 way active front stage. I will be purchasing the Focal PS 165 F3 3 way component set ( i am open to different speaker suggestions) and will be running it active and since I am not using the passive crossovers it came with, all of my rms settings are differ on the speakers. The woofer has a 80w rms, the midrange has a 50w rms, and the tweeter has a 15w rms.
What i was thinking of doing was powering the tweeter at 50w rms with the rear fill, and powering the midrange and woofer at 75-100 rms. Would this be alright, or do i need to rms match all my speakers?

Like i said, i am open to different speaker suggestions, i have a max budget for components alone at $800 max, but i do want to stay below that. I will be installing these speakers in a 2008 Chevy avalanche. I will be adding sound deadening from sounddeadenershowdown. I want to install the woofers in the doors and the mids/tweets in the kickpanels. I’ll be using an audison BitOne for the sound processing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
What kind of amplifier are you using? I would not recommend pushing 50w through a tweeter.

you adjust your level for each speaker typically (or set of channels on some amps)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to chose an amplifier, i like to find the speakers first before amplifiers. Now, should i purchase a separate amplifier for the tweeters, have the mids and rear fill on 1 amp, and purchase a separate amp for the woofers?

·
Registered
751 Posts
What about a sub ? That’s an awfully large vehicle. You’re going to want some low end.
Also, go with individual DIY drivers. No sense paying for passive crossovers if you’re not going to use them. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, i like that idea a lot better, but i am a complete noob when it comes to picking raw drivers, so help would be appreciated lol. I am a very bass heavy guy. I love all genres of music, but my main genre is Hip-Hop. I am going with Rockford Fosgate P3D4 - 15 that will be ran off of a NVX JAD1200.1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I don’t care about my hearing as I get older, so I like to listen to my music loud . I’ve heard of websites such as parts-express, but don’t know where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
Lots of searching/reading is in your future ?
Seriously, read, read, and read some more. Look at the “ Help me choose equipment for my car” section here. Also, the “Member reviews “ section has lots of good discussion.
A lot of it depends on your driver sizes and locations as well as your fabrication skills.
A 3-way front stage is a pretty complicated first step into an active system. You might want to consider starting with a 2-way + sub. Then, in the future, once you get comfortable with crossovers, slopes, EQ, phase, levels, etc you could consider adding a dedicated midrange or midbass.
What source unit are you using to feed the BitOne ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there’s a lot to read here lol, but I can do it. Since I am keeping my factory head unit, I am going off of the rear speaker levels for the BitOne

·
Registered
751 Posts
there’s a lot to read here lol, but I can do it. Since I am keeping my factory head unit, I am going off of the rear speaker levels for the BitOne

Ok. Well, I’ll have to defer to more knowledgeable members regarding that one.
You have a pretty involved install ahead, so take your time and plan things as best as possible. Look for other installs involving your vehicle to see what other people have done that worked for them.
You haven’t mentioned a total budget. Don’t forget wiring and other install items that can be fairly pricey. Also, once you decide what “type” of system you want ( 2 or 3-way + sub, etc ) only then will you know what kind of install accessories and amplification you will need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I’m looking forward to it. I have a few months before I do everything, so I will definitely do some more research. Total budget is $4000 ?that disgusts me lol, but it’s going to be a truck I keep past until the wheels fall off so well worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First time doing an active 3-way. Last vehicle had a 2-way passive. I thought about doing a 2-way active, but decided since my budget was so large and my vehicle was so big, I would put in the extra time and effort for a 3-way active.

·
Registered
751 Posts
So, you did the previous install yourself ? That’s what I was getting at. Not sure how much of a noob you are. ?
Remember, just because you have the budget for it, doesn’t mean you have to use all of the budget. Haha
Also, more equipment doesn’t necessarily mean better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol, not a total noob to audio installs, but there’s a gigantic difference from buying a set of prepackaged 2-way passive components and picking raw drivers lol.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You are correct.
But, at least you’re familiar with running wiring, The Big 3, baffles, mounting equipment, etc. Right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yea, most definitely! Those were apart of my last vehicle. But now I know I need to sit down and just go through the forum and learn what I need in terms of speakers.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You also need to decide if you’re going with stock sizes or not. And check depths, door panel clearances, baffle size fitting, etc.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Lots of searching/reading is in your future ?
Seriously, read, read, and read some more. Look at the “ Help me choose equipment for my car” section here. Also, the “Member reviews “ section has lots of good discussion.
A lot of it depends on your driver sizes and locations as well as your fabrication skills.
A 3-way front stage is a pretty complicated first step into an active system. You might want to consider starting with a 2-way + sub. Then, in the future, once you get comfortable with crossovers, slopes, EQ, phase, levels, etc you could consider adding a dedicated midrange or midbass.
What source unit are you using to feed the BitOne ?
I started in stages.First was coaxes,then passive components,then 2-way raw driver active and now I'm seriously contemplating 3-way active.Guess that's the nature of this hobby though although I don't see why somebody couldn't just get started with a full blown 3-way active system.If they want to take the time to read and learn before installation and tuning it could work out for them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can see where he’s coming from. If someone who’s never driven before gets their license, your not going to put them on a highway and say drive lol

·
Registered
751 Posts
I started in stages.First was coaxes,then passive components,then 2-way raw driver active and now I'm seriously contemplating 3-way active.Guess that's the nature of this hobby though although I don't see why somebody couldn't just get started with a full blown 3-way active system.If they want to take the time to read and learn before installation and tuning it could work out for them.
I agree. I built my current system in stages also. It just depends on what the goals are. And, I wasn’t sure of his previous experience with installing.
The OP stated he wants it loud and good sounding. That can be accomplished with a 2-way + sub. He also mentioned running rear fill. Depends on if he actually needs it for rear passengers ( I wouldn’t think so - but he needs to figure that out ).
As you know, a good system is more than just equipment. A lot of consideration has to go into install and tuning. It’s not as easy as buying drivers, mounting them, turning it on and expecting to have the best sounding system you’ve ever heard. ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts