DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could splurge on one component of a 3 way, and only one... which would it be? Is there a certain range that is more important than the other?

I can't go all out on all 3 pairs of drivers. So, should I get matching, equally ****ty ones? Or like a bad ass mid and decent mid bass and tweets? Or awesome tweets and skimp on the mid and mid woofer?

I have my amps, crossovers and sub stage set. Just looking for the speakers now. And, FWIW, I am considering the Silver Flutes and AuraSound. Comments, good or bad, on those would help out a lot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say the most important is the midrange driver because it typically the speaker that plays most of the critical vocal range
That was my contention also, but wanted to get confirmation.

How large of a frequency range would you let your mid play? Like, if it was flat up to 5khz- where would you want to cross it and let the tweeter take over? Typical 1" silk dome (probably).

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
It would depend on the midrange itself, the tweeter and midbass it were matched to and the mounting location. I would cross it over at what sounded best, all systems are different so there is no concrete rules

In my systems, midrange has been from 400-700 to 4000-6000 roughly

·
Registered
243 Posts
if you are patient... I will be putting up for sale my DLS nobeliums and an Iridium 3 inch dome mid.. plus the Nobelium 10 inch sub.. cheap.. talk to me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please correct me if I am wrong but,

Start with your Midrange. That is the "heart and soul" "meat & potatoes" of your system.

3 Way Active:

TWEETER = HIGH LPF 3.2 kHz HPF 20 kHz
MID = MID/BASS LPF 160 kHz HPF 3.2 kHz
MB = LOWS LPF 53 Hz HPF 200 Hz
AND OF COURSE A SUB.
Good info. Thanks. That's a huge range for the mid. I can see why I need a really good one.

So, a LPF on the tweet? And at 20khz? I was assuming that I just need a HPF and let it play to whatever it could get. Are hyper 20khz frequecies unimportant? Should I not be concerned with anything that high?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Good info. Thanks. That's a huge range for the mid. I can see why I need a really good one.

So, a LPF on the tweet? And at 20khz? I was assuming that I just need a HPF and let it play to whatever it could get. Are hyper 20khz frequecies unimportant? Should I not be concerned with anything that high?
1) No just highpass the tweeter and let it roll off
2) Tell me if you can actually hear past 20kHz anyways ;)
3) I would never play a midrange down to 160Hz daily especially at typical listening levels while driving. You run out of xmax and power compression quickly

·
Registered
524 Posts
It would depend on the midrange itself, the tweeter and midbass it were matched to and the mounting location. I would cross it over at what sounded best, all systems are different so there is no concrete rules

In my systems, midrange has been from 400-700 to 4000-6000 roughly
+1 this.

You HAVE to match the crossover points to the specific drivers chosen. Some midranges can play down to 200Hz and others I wouldn't use below 400Hz. That doesn't seem like much, but when you are talking about frequencies around the human voice we can detect those subtle differences.

I agree; the midrange is the most important driver in the system. You should actually choose your tweet and midbass drivers around the mid. If the mid can play low then you can choose a midbass that slams but may not be a good midrange driver. You won't need it. Likewise, if your mid instead can extend high well, then you only need a "sparkle" tweeter to cover, say, 5kHz and above.

To put this in perspective: I run a 3 way myself. My mid choice is a modified Vifa driver that I have running from around 250Hz to 7kHz. It is a wide range driver. Most cannot cover that range that well. Since my mid almost doesn't need a tweet (the actual freq response is much higher) then I was able to use a planar tweet to cover from 7kHz on up. Just for the sparkle.

You are only asking the midbass to cover ~60Hz -300Hz. That is not a lot of range, but it is a lot of energy. However, there are some great choices that cover that range well.

Good luck to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts