• Midrange in kicks and tweeters in a-pillars

Votes: 384 72.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with the poll, with those who voted i'd like to know why you chose what you chose. I'm still comtemplating on where to place the tweeter mainly. I heard vestax's car last week (the guy w/ lotus dual midbass) and the stage was quite low. I know it already a given that you will lose height with them in kicks anyways but if i do an a-pillar install you think it'd be hard to image and level match? right now i already made baffles for my lotus 4" and lotus 1". both sides are hooked up now and the stage is low, but i'm sure if i mess with it a bit i can heighten my stage a bit more. but just curious on other people's opinion.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol eh too much work to build speaker pods for the midrange up there. nice try though :D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mids in kicks for best centre image and tweets in A-pillars for high soundstage with no rainbowing effect at the high frequencies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
deezal77 said:
Mids in kicks for best centre image and tweets in A-pillars for high soundstage with no rainbowing effect at the high frequencies.
x2! Plus having the mids in the kicks helps you optimize equal pathlengths which minimizes the need for electronic manipulation of the signal. I'm assuming you are going with an active set-up. You need the ability to control the signal to each driver. If you are going with passive crossovers then you would be better served keeping the tweeters as close to the mid-range as possible...which would mean both in the kicks.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You got the processing to make any of it work. I'd go to the pillars with the tweet to eliminate a 'possible' stage height issue. That would sucxor after fabricating kicks to fit both. It will also allow more room/space to angle the 4" optimally while have a smaller sized kick.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Pillars, off axis = stage height IME. You could also put the tweets in the factory sail location to minimize windshield reflection...although that brings the driver's side tweet pretty close. Not sure how you'd like a metal dome that close. But it's all about T/A and aiming. Somehow I've managed to pull it off.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow so far its an overwhelming majority for the pillars. looks like it vinyl wrapping time :D.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I prefer keeping the tweets closer to the midbass so the driver's tweet isnt much closer than the passenger tweet is. also helps keep the sound coming from a single location when you hit those cut off frequencies of your crossover.

but they can still sound good in the A pillars too. this is just where personal preference and skill in mounting them comes into play.

·
Registered
352 Posts
well, y dont u do what that guy did with his g35? main tweet down low in the kicks, and an imaging tweet to bring up the soundstage in the sails or a-pillar? you could probably find a small 25x4 amp that'll fit under ur seat, see if supa_c (on ca.com) still has that old rf i told u about

·
Registered
957 Posts
Tweet in the kicks can work well. I'd just suggest using a metal dome tweeter and try aiming it a bit. I'd prefer that over tweets in the a-pillar, multiple sources FTL!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference would be in a 3 way setup, but I would do something like what csuflyboy over at ECA did. Mids and tweet in kicks. It was suggested that the tweets in a-pillars are a band-aid fix for stage height... I don't have any direct experience but its something I would like to experiment if I was re-doing my front stage. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Csu's stage height is good with tweets in kicks. We tried for hours to get the same thing in my Odyssey van with no luck so into the pillars they went.
So I think the vehicle has a lot to do with it.
FWIW in my new car (530) I'm doing tweets in kicks and if height is a problem I'll do the extra attenuated tweets in the sails to bring up the height. Will also time align those to match their respective drivers in the kicks. So I'm not talking about (yet) aligning from side to side, but rather to align all the speakers on the right with each other and all the speakers on the left with each other.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
rbenz27 said:
It was suggested that the tweets in a-pillars are a band-aid fix for stage height.
True, but it's also a good solution for the inexperienced. I think there's a learning curve involved in setting it up how it 'should' be set up.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hey Peter,
When you had a two way and moved your Ref tweets to your kicks, you felt the stage height did not suffer at all, and IIRC you even felt it was alot better. Why would you feel then that having both tweet and mid in the kick now would be a bad idea? Seems if you liked it before, you'd still like it now. If *your* car works well with the tweets in the kicks, and you like it like that, then that's all that matters, right?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i didn't say the height was better, i just said imaging, staging was much better in the kicks. i did get a pretty decen height, probably between the nose and the chin. somewhere around there. as of right now i'm still messing with angles and maybe i'll make new baffles because right now i have both the mid and the kick in one baffle and its hard to mess with the tweeter itself as if i move the the tweeter, the mid will have to move as well.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
whoa this thread is back from the dead. btw, i did put the tweets in the pillars. sounds pretty good so far.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yea i'm glad i went with the Tweets pillar, Midrange kicks, and Midbasses in doors, i feel like the stage height is VERY high, and very expansive deep, and tonal accuracy is utterly amazing, more detail than i've ever heard.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have the same setup as demon and I agree with him completely. The best part is that the detail and stage height remains even if you open the windows. Since I enjoy driving with windows/moonroof open when weather permits, having that detail up high and un-obstructed by my legs is a real benefit.

I honestly cannot hear the crossover point between my tweets and mids (Ir 1" and Ir 3"). Only when I move my head down below the dash does it become obvious. I wonder sometimes if my mids are playing...but they are...the sound just isn't pulled down the least bit.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts