DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out guys!
My sub stage currently consists of a pair of Acoustic Elegance IB12s. Infinite baffled, of course.

Front stage is rather weak, since I'm trying to move over from the SPL side. I have a set of Crossfire C5 coax and Digital Designs T1 tweeters in each door. I'm trying to decide on whether I should go 3-way (really, if it's necessary with the sub stage) or just go 2-way.

2-way: Build my own through raw drivers, or DLS RM6.2 set.
3-way: Build own set through raw drivers, or PPI P65c3.

Amp is a Kenwood KAC7005PS.
Help me out!

·
Registered
2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
1,614 Posts
Being new to SQ, I recommend staying with a solid 2-way up front and learning to tune them. I have a whole year :p under my belt and I am still improving my rig from month to month. It never ends!

And you can get some damn good sound from a simple 2-way with sub!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was honestly leaning more towards a 2 way. My only concern is the fact I want more meat in the mid bass area - 80-600hz. Just not sure if a donor 2 way can do that

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
To have the dedicated midrange is nice! Allows you to deliver much cleaner sound from the midrange and midbass. I prefer the 3 way setup if it's possible.

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
There are trade offs to each. Installation locations and tuning capability play a huge role in selection. One thing that I don't think you have shared is if you have a dedicated DSP or active capable head unit. Keep in mind that having one or the other of these is practically a necessity if you decide to go raw driver.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are trade offs to each. Installation locations and tuning capability play a huge role in selection. One thing that I don't think you have shared is if you have a dedicated DSP or active capable head unit. Keep in mind that having one or the other of these is practically a necessity if you decide to go raw driver.
Well, with that in mind (and my limited budget) I'll have to stay away from Raw drivers for now.

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
Well, with that in mind (and my limited budget) I'll have to stay away from Raw drivers for now.
Sufficient amplification channels with band pass crossovers might be able to get you close.

·
Registered
719 Posts
What kinda car?
Where are the speaker locations?
What amplifier will you use?

The IB12AU can play well up into the midbass region, which is more like 80Hz to 300Hz. If you went two way you could use a smaller mid, like a 5.25" or 4" for better blendage with the tweeter.

Can your doors handle a serious midbass driver?
How much depth do you have?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like two-way sets, but I'm running surround sound... with an extra comp set in the rear for the surround signal, it sounds very open and dispersion is not an issue. Surround sound fixes a multitude of sins ;)

But if I were going to have only one stereo set of speakers up front for all my highs/midrange? - I would definitely run a 3-way set.... probably one of the PPI or Soundstream sets, they are a good bang for the buck... and the passive crossovers which come with the sets work just fine. I think the 3-way sets offer better dispersion and have a more open sound, and less tweaking and aiming is necessary to achieve good sound.

If you are looking for more midbass, another option is to use a 2-way comp set and add a dedicated midbass driver crossed over in the 60-90hz range.

·
Registered
889 Posts
IMO, I would only opt for a 3 way front stage if you are running active. 3 way ran passive can sound good, but especially if you are buying separate raw drivers for a 3 way setup, you are better off running them active, also you can do a LOT more with an active system. 3 way is the way to go, either active or passive. Just much more clearer sound when each speaker has a dedicated frequency range.
I have heard a 2 way active vs a 3 way passive system, and the 2 way ran active sounded way better. But in the end it all comes down to the install and the speaker placement and the way it it tuned.
3 way active, if done right, is usually the best way to go.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
When I was considering my first two way, I almost went with the Hertz Mille set which includes a crossover for the midrange and tweeter allowing me to treat the entire front stage as a two way - only the midbass was independent (2 channels) and the midrange and tweeter were behind a crossover still taking up 2-channels. Mount the midrange and the tweeter close to each other and you can time align no problem. Expensive set, but sounds delicious and will help you skip the processor route. The crossover is kind of big though. You can buy their crossover separate, too, if you want to use raw drivers that'd be suited to the Mille crossover's crossover points (pretty standard). Check their site.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Another option with a 2-way set is to go the "full range" route with a single pair of drivers covering the mid/tweet area. There are plenty of wide band drivers out there that can cover 500hz and up. Dollar for dollar the best I've heard is the 2" Scanspeak Discovery. I'm not saying this because I run them, I'm saying this because they really are that good. When going this route any good midbass driver will do the job. With a wideband you don't have to fight with crossing over in the vocal range which in turn makes tuning a lot easier in my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kinda car?
Where are the speaker locations?
What amplifier will you use?

The IB12AU can play well up into the midbass region, which is more like 80Hz to 300Hz. If you went two way you could use a smaller mid, like a 5.25" or 4" for better blendage with the tweeter.

Can your doors handle a serious midbass driver?
How much depth do you have?
Car is a 1996 Mercury Sable
Speaker locations are stock (door/sail)
Amp is the one I mentioned - 5channel kenwood.
The AE's I'm using are not the AU model

·
Registered
59 Posts
there are spectacular raw drivers out that would give you the capability to do exactly what u want. you can get the best driver for the job but the budget was never discussed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts