DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering trying a 3 way setup in the kicks. I did a search and didnt come up with much, and really dont remember ever seeing this done much. Maybe its not done for a reason. I currently have a Pioneer 720PRS comp set and a set of Beyma SD-35 dome midrange. The vehicle is a '98 F150. I have a few choices on decks... Pioneer 880 or Clarion DXZ785. The amp on the front stage is an Alpine PDX4.150. I am thinking of using the 720 mids on 2 channels or the amp, and the other 2 channels or the amp will go to a set of Eclipse passive crossovers that will go to the Beymas and Pioneer tweeters. I still have to figure out crossover points for the mids and Beymas. As I am looking into it, it seems as though the Clarion has more flexible crossovers. If I am looking at the manual correctly it seems the lowest I can transition from the Pioneer mids to the Beymas is 1.25k. That can be tackeled later I guess.
The main question I have is if I should try all three drivers in the kicks. I was thinking of having the 6.5s firing across at each other. The kicks will be vented into the kicks also. Then the Beymas and tweeters will be on the same mounting plate that are aimed at the opposite headrest. Aiming will be played with as I build the plates. I just dont see 3 drivers in the kicks... any reason?
I am kinda wanting to stay away from the Beymas and tweets in the A pillars. Mainly due to size and looks. Another big thing is that I am hoping to stay away from time alignment. I want to keep it somewhat simple as far as processing goes. I measured and it seems to be about 14" difference in distances from each kick to drivers head. I dont mind the drivers being set up for both seats to enjoy. It doesnt have to be based solely on the drivers seat.
Is there anything I am missing or overlooking?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I think the main issue is space! Most cars don't have the space for a 3-way in the kicks. Other than that, I would think it would work just fine!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From rough measurements it seems like they will fit. I am thinking the mids firing at each other in the "flat" part of the kick. Then the Beyma and tweeter will be mounted more toward the face of the kick that faces the driver and passenger...if that makes sense. I know they would have to be fairly beefy and the Beyma and tweeters are both sealed back, so that shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
My friend Webster has the new Hybrid 6" subs, L4's, and L1 Pros in the kicks of his Audi. I can pm you pics of you are interested.

I forgot to mention....the car sounds phenomenonal!!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely want to see pics. Very curious.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a 98 f150....he might just have the space. it would be easy enough to just put the mb in the doors though
The doors are VERY and have baffles to hold 6.5s already. I am just trying to get all the drivers together for the sake of not having to use time alignment. The door locations are high... above knee level. I am trying to keep processing to a bare minimal.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
The doors are VERY and have baffles to hold 6.5s already. I am just trying to get all the drivers together for the sake of not having to use time alignment. The door locations are high... above knee level. I am trying to keep processing to a bare minimal.
I guess it will depend on how you are gonna cross them over. if the 6.5" midbass at x'd off at under 200hz, then up in the door might be ok. more non-directional sound anyway. but you are right, some small amout of T/A might be required.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unfortunately the Beymas cant go that low. 800hz is the recommended crossover point. So its gonna have to be above that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You're worried too much about time alignment.

Espesially since it doesn't play that big a role in your midbass. Unless this is going to be a competition vehicle...

Your biggest concrn is seperating mb and mr and having the air space. Well...that's a much larger concern than time alignment and the 3 speakers anyway

·
Registered
123 Posts
I guess it will depend on how you are gonna cross them over. if the 6.5" midbass at x'd off at under 200hz, then up in the door might be ok. more non-directional sound anyway. but you are right, some small amout of T/A might be required.
you won't 'need' t/a in this case.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Definitely want to see pics. Very curious.
I just landed and am able to post the pic....

These do take up a bit of space in the floorboard, and I don't believe he uses grills - just has gotten used to it. The worry would be taking the car in for service, etc.

Again, the car sounds simply amazing!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that 3 way setup looks good.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Wow! That 3-way looks sweet!

PJ, can you tell just by looking at that pic if you have more space down there than this vehicle?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! That 3-way looks sweet!

PJ, can you tell just by looking at that pic if you have more space down there than this vehicle?
Not to lay them out like that I dont. I will try to mock something up tomorrow with the way I am thinking about positioning them. My MR and tweet would have to be very close to each other and aimed at the same point. The 6.5 would be further forward firing across at each other.

If this gets too complicated I will go to a simple 2 way and be done with it. I just know if I dont look into a 3 way I will always think about it and want to try it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts