DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I was wondering on a 3 way setup for car, would mounting the mid bass driver in the rear deck be ok? Or would it be a terrible idea. I drive a manual car, and putting kick pods in would get in the way of the clutch and the foot rest.

I was thinking of replacing the rear 6x9's with a 6-8" midbass driver, then using time correction to focus the imaging to blend in with the front stage. This is assuming an active setup. Any ideas, recommendations?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would like to know this one as well! I have the same issues as you with the manual tranny and larger speakers aren't going to fit in my doors with the windows down anyway. I would really like to go IB with some 8" woofers in the back deck but may use some midbass drivers in the back deck (preferably IB) and put a small sub in the trunk.. I just hate to lose the trunk space.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've heard three way sets with the midbass in the back, I would suggest otherwise. I would try to follow npdang and other's sound deadening methods to make the car as quiet as possible. There are some who achieve good staging up front with midbass drivers playing from about 200Hz and down, but it's extremely hard to do.
To make things simple, put in the largest driver you can fit, get a good tweeter to match and remember install can make or break the system.
Good Luck to both of you.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so what should go in the rear deck? nothing?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hopefully some 8" subs running IB in my car. Don't know if it will work yet or not. I don't know if there are any 8" subs that will run IB and give some decent output as well. I think I am just going to run two way up front and sub in the back.

I'm really not sure why people are running three way up front and crossing over the larger midbass driver at 200hz or so. It seems to me like those speakers are not being utilized to even close to their ability.

It seems to me that running a sub up to 80hz, running midbass between 80-2,500 and then running tweet from 2,500 up would give the same results as running an extra set mid range speakers to pick up from 200 hz to 2,500hz. I do understand the benefit if having dedicated midbass, but in my car (1995 Civic) space is a premium.

Also, keep in mind, I am looking forward to learning from all the guys from the forum. They are much more knowledgeable and dedicated at this than I am. I am actually returning to the hobby after a ten year break, I'm sure a couple things have changed!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've run 3 way's with the mid basses mounted in the rear in a couple of different cars. (65 mustang and 95 Dakota). It sounds fine. You may not win IASCA or anything like that, but with a relatively low crossover point it works well enough for most people.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have run midbasses in the rear of several of my cars. The up-front imaging isn't the best, but it does sound decent. Most of my personal cars have been Mustangs, so imaging takes a back seat to just getting loud and clean over the off-road exhaust systems. I did have a Thunderbird ('92) that had the rear speakers in the rear side panels. I put 8" woofers in there, with a 5.25" components in the front. That worked VERY well in that car. It locked on the dash, nice and high. I got really lucky on that one, and it was only about 10 minutes worth of modification to do it. It may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
96 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
That's what I would reccomend. Unless you want to do some 8" subs IB strictly for sub bass duty.
Any idea of any?

It seems like some have run midbass in the rear deck. What about running some Adire Extremis in the rear deck and letting them play all the way down to say 30 hz and do away with a sub period?

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cam2Xrunner said:
That's what I would reccomend. Unless you want to do some 8" subs IB strictly for sub bass duty.
but arn't some midbass drivers capable of performing the same as a 8" sub? A 7" mid bass driver doesn't look much diffrent from a 8" sub....

???

·
Registered
989 Posts
tryin said:
Any idea of any?

It seems like some have run midbass in the rear deck. What about running some Adire Extremis in the rear deck and letting them play all the way down to say 30 hz and do away with a sub period?

Check out this thread,

http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=518

I'm just not a big fan of the idea of rear midbass(I'm not a fan of ANY rear speakers except for subs for that matter either :p )

·
Registered
989 Posts
af22 said:
but arn't some midbass drivers capable of performing the same as a 8" sub? A 7" mid bass driver doesn't look much diffrent from a 8" sub....

???
There are some midbass drivers that will go almost as low as alot of dedicated subbass duty subs, but an actual "sub" is going to be better for impact and loudness in the sub bass freqencies.

I would stick to an actual sub for subbass duties, and use the midbass drivers up front personally.

But anything is possible.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so what about having 8" subs hanging from the rear deck. But then a 12" in the trunk for that extra huff.

would that cause blending problems with the 8" and 12" playing similar frequencies...

my goal is sound quality

·
Registered
989 Posts
af22 said:
Ok, so what about having 8" subs hanging from the rear deck. But then a 12" in the trunk for that extra huff.

would that cause blending problems with the 8" and 12" playing similar frequencies...

my goal is sound quality
Don't mix sub sizes. If you don't mind having an enclosure in the trunk, go with a single or pair of 12" subs.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Also, unless those 8's are enclosed, there will be some interaction between the subs/midbass. Basically, your 8's will end up as passive radiators to the subwoofer, while still being sent a powered signal. It gets ugly sounding.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am just wondering if a good set (extremis for example) of midbass drivers or subs mounted IB in the rear deck would produce enough air to eliminate the sub altogether. I would think that three or four in the back deck mounted IB would move some air, have great sound quality, and all your bass would be in the cabin of the car.

I'm not a basshead, but I do want to be able to feel a little pressure when the speakers are firing.

Just for reference, I have a 2005 Accord EX (not the car the system is going into). This car has 6x9's in the rear deck and I have seen them, they look like toy speakers they are so bad. The sound in the car is great though, very good base response and you can feel it when they hit. It isn't like a sub but very good. If I could get twice the performance over that setup and the sound is clean and tight, I would be more than happy.

Plus, if I decided it wasn't enough, I could always add a small sub in the back and bandpass the rear deck speakers at 80 and 200hz. Or just remove them if I wasn't happy with the sound after that and sell them.

Just something I'm thinking about. Space is really a premium for me and I wouldn't mind trying something a little different.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.