DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The vehicle is a 2019 GMC Sierra with 6x9’s in the door and 2.5/2.75 in the dash as stock locations. If I were going to attempt a 3 way setup and keep the stock locations but add a 1.5” tweeter in the sail or A pillar could this work? I don’t really want to glass a big enclosure to hold the mid and tweeter, I’d like to keep it as “stealth” looking as possible. I’ll be using a dsp if that helps with the answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I'd probably do the sail panels for simplicity. It's easy enough to try both spots temporarily though. Attach the tweeters with velcro, and test them in both places. I'd only use the A pillars if they sound significantly better, I'd much rather fabricate sail panels than A-pillars, they are cheaper to replace if you screw up, and generally easier to finish well because they are smaller and can be finished in a single color, or wrap. Cutting a hole in an A pillar means you have to blend and transition into the portion that you didn't cut. You may need to re-texture the entire piece, find perfectly matching interior paint, or wrap them to get an even and professional finish. A pillars are a pain in the ass unless you do that kind of fabrication all the time. Sail panels are much easier, and cheaper to work with. They can often sound just as good, or better, than A pillars, depending on the vehicle geometry. So, I'd only mess with A pillars if testing the tweeters temporarily installed showed that they sound significantly better there. There's a very real chance that they'll sound better in the sail panels anyway, which would be a win win.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I figured I’d end up testing first before I decided where but I’m glad the sail panel might work as it does seem much easier to install there especially if I do them off axis or have a pair that swivel.

Now to find a pair of 2.5 drivers and tweeters to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts