DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just recently sold off my 2-way active setup and headunit from my old car and picked up a new project.
I've got an 06 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab to work with now :D

There really isn't much room for a sub and I don't want to give up much space because this vehicle is going to double as my camping/offroading vehicle.

Apparently there is plenty of room in the door panels for a large midbass (i'm thinking 8") and then i'll probably put my midrange (4") in the kicks with tweeter in the factory door location (where I prefer them)

My question is whether or not an 8" midbass in a 3-way setup will somewhat makeup for a lack of a sub, and then of course the obvious question of what 8" midbass and 4" midrange to go with on a budget

BTW, i'll probably be using an alpine iva-w205 or 505 with the 701 for processing.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
"Maybe" slim 10" subs in modified doors with 300-400 watts each could give you similar results to a good sub. The doors would have to be well braced and deadened to avoid very loud rattles.

·
Registered
524 Posts
depends on the 8. check the dynaudio 360/362. you can go up to the dynaudio 10" (mw 180) for the midbass and still us the passve x-overs and the md140/142 and the md100/102. jps

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot to mention i'd like to keep everything looking factory, so an 8 is probably as big as I can go without going outside the factory door panels.

Any recommendations of speakers to look @ on madisound...I know there are always a few good speakers to be had on there for a good price? Dyn's would be nice, but more than likely out of my budget.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I had good results using Kicker SSMB's, but mine were in sealed door enclosures and WAY over powered, but it worked very well. Try to go for something with a bit more excursion potential if you don't need the shallow mounting. I think those CSS Trio's would be quite the show stopper.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have that with the peerless SLS 8's in the doors. Don't feel the need for a sub. Well I did, and put some subs in, and then took them out hehe.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you like those and what midrange are you using with them (if any)?

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm currently looking at Double Din headunits, and I know the Alpine 205 and 505 can utilize the H701 processor...but if I were to choose a pioneer unit or say an eclipse, what other processors can I use to get a 3-way active setup with the possible addition of a sub in the future (so 4-way active)

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's looks good to me...I'd look into Hybrid's L8 if you are looking for midbass/subass.....take my word for it....you won't be disappointed....
I agree on the L8. I finally heard one this weekend and It surprised the living **** out of me. Definitely plenty of output as long as you're not a basshead.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone know where to look at the L8's online just to see some prices/specs?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts