DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
J ust FYI, although it's advertised as "OFC", it's not.
thanks for the heads up on that. just some wikipedia for you in case you don't know that it doesn't matter.
Oxygen-free copper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Use in home audio

The high-end audio cable industry markets oxygen-free copper as having enhanced conductivity or other electrical properties that are significantly advantageous to audio signal transmission. However, conductivity specifications for common C11000 Electrolytic-Tough-Pitch (ETP) and higher-cost C10200 Oxygen-Free (OF) coppers are identical.[8] Much more expensive C10100, a highly refined copper with silver impurities removed and oxygen reduced to 0.0005%, has only a one percent increase in conductivity rating, insignificant in audio applications.[8] OFC is nevertheless valued by some for both audio and video signals in audio playback systems and home cinema.[8]

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Some people are very anal about it, that's why I mentioned it, I run cca in all my cars.
wrong information about a product isn't good because you expect one thing and get another, but at the same time the fact that it's not ofc shouldn't turn someone away. I get what you were saying and before someone could spout off asking whats ofc and why is it better? (its not really) I answered it. :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
wrong information about a product isn't good because you expect one thing and get another, but at the same time the fact that it's not ofc shouldn't turn someone away. I get what you were saying and before someone could spout off asking whats ofc and why is it better? (its not really) I answered it. :)
lol good team effort here! I actually just installed the cadence 1/0 that I picked up (20 feet for $27) from there in my buddies car and it is awesome cable. Extremely flexible and user friendly. I loved it and will be replacing a lot of my 4 gauge with it soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn you Audiosavings! Don't know how they get away with calling it OFC when even the Cadence website doesn't list it as OFC.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just because its not OFC doesnt mean its CCA (though in this case it probably is). OFC provides no measurable electrical difference over regular(non oxygen free) copper conductors. CCA has a much lower ampacity rating than copper. Here is a more comprehensive break down of wire types typically used for automotive applicationsDifferent wire types used for battery cables..

Coming from the current NEC Book:
-The current range for CCA is 100a-135a, depending on insulation type
-For 1/0 Copper the range is 125a-170a, depending on insulation type

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Just because its not OFC doesnt mean its CCA (though in this case it probably is). OFC provides no measurable electrical difference over regular(non oxygen free) copper conductors. CCA has a much lower ampacity rating than copper. Here is a more comprehensive break down of wire types typically used for automotive applicationsDifferent wire types used for battery cables..

Coming from the current NEC Book:
-The current range for CCA is 100a-135a, depending on insulation type
-For 1/0 Copper the range is 125a-170a, depending on insulation type
I just picked up my order of Cadence cable, this morning....Nismo is correct...it is awesome cable(for the price) and ,NO... it is NOT CCA

One of my customers is an E-E (and also a DIYMA member) and works for one of the largest copper wire suppliers in the world, once explained to me that 100% OFC does not actually exist..there is always a tiny bit of impurities(to various degrees) and that is actually desirable (IIRC 100% oxy free copper is brittle). The difference between regular commercial copper wire and "ofc" is in tiny fractions of a percent gain in conductivity.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just picked up my order of Cadence cable, this morning....Nismo is correct...it is awesome cable(for the price) and ,NO... it is NOT CCA

One of my customers is an E-E (and also a DIYMA member) and works for one of the largest copper wire suppliers in the world, once explained to me that 100% OFC does not actually exist..there is always a tiny bit of impurities(to various degrees) and that is actually desirable (IIRC 100% oxy free copper is brittle). The difference between regular commercial copper wire and "ofc" is in tiny fractions of a percent gain in conductivity.
Good to know that its not CCA. That, in my eyes, makes it far more desirable. Good info on the OFC vs standard copper as well. Her is a little more copy pasted from custombatterycables.com:

"What is OFC and should I buy it?

OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) wire is a type of wire that often gets sold by stereo shops as the best stuff to hook up speakers or a high power amp. I occasionally get asked about it. I’ve had folks ask if I can make battery cables out of it.

What’s different about it?

As the name suggests the copper used in the wire is “oxygen free”, almost. It’s not really “oxygen free”, it has less oxygen. When copper is smelted oxygen is added to help remove the other impurities. OFC adds another step by adding phosphorous to remove the oxygen. Standard wire is AT LEAST 99.90 pure copper. OFC is 99.95 pure copper.

An extra 0.05% copper sounds good. What’s the down side?

In a word, COST. OFC is often TWICE the price for the same size of standard cable. So you are paying DOUBLE for 0.05% more copper.

That sounds very expensive. Is it worth it?

NO. Even though the wire is more pure (a tiny fraction of a percent more pure), there are NO measurable electric differences (source Wikipedia Oxygen-free copper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) . "

Thats all I got. This seems like a legit deal right here for some Cu wire.:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts