DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first build - in my past I have taken my cars to shops and paid good money most of the time not happy with the outcome. Shortcuts, messy wiring, bad designs, no creativity. I must have never had the money to get it done right.

The Car: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 (425HP)

Mods:

20" Powdercoated Magnum Forged SRT wheels, Pedders full Race Track 2 suspension, Diablo Tuner, High Flow Cats, AFE2 Intake, painted roof, Grip Tuning Grille, painted headlight bezels... MORE

Audio Equipment:

Stock Navigation deck with PAC audio LOC
Dynaudio 360 (8", 3", 1.1" tweeter and passives) installed in doors, and kick panels
Image Dynamics ID10 subs infinite baffle rear deck
Zapco DRC digital amp controller
Zapco DC650.6 Digital amp with crossover, 10 band eq and way more than I can tune.

Most recently just tonight I finally got both speakers in the doors with nice results. No vibration, no rattles, SOLID as a rock! I had installed the whole system and decided to change the Dynaudio MW160 6.75" to the MW170 8" model for more midbass.

First I wanted an angle for the speaker, I wanted the speaker out a lil from the door (to fit the large magnet). This angled baffle I made is basically 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF with some 1.25" wood legs on the bottom to make an angle. I filled the open areas with foam and I added 2 layers of fiberglass to the inside and outside of the foam creating a super strong fiber glass angled baffle to mount the speaker.

I mounted the MDF baffle to the door with some hot glue to hold it in place, some JB weld and finally I screwed the baffle in place - secured it to the metal doors skin. After the baffle was secured I tried using NON HARDENING Modeling clay to reduce vibration and fill any voids caused by the shape of the hole and the door. I like that feel after adding it, I think it makes a nice difference.

The plastic door panel was trimmed a lil to get it to fit over the 8" driver, and a new piece will have to be constructed to flush the speaker to the panel. I have not figured this out yet, but Im sure it will require a lil more fiberglass and the stock speaker cover!

I will post some pics of the rear deck soon!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is my first build and I decided to make some kicks for the 3" speaker, and the 1.1" soft tweeter. The did not need sealed since the 3" was a sealed speaker. It was pretty easy with just some 1/2" MDF and some bondo glass. I covered them in a matching vinyl I think they look pretty cool for the first time!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear deck is my favorite part...

I was thinking the thing would rattle like crazy and I would hate it. I was wrong. Its as solid as could be, and it sounds perfect to me. I am not a huge bass head, and I wanted less trunk rattle, I wanted better SQ and I wanted something that looked different than all the other 300C's I have seen. I think this did it. The speakers are 10" Image Dynamics IDQ - When I originally got these I didnt think I would have a lot of power to run them, and I wanted to be sure they would fit under the glass in the deck. Who knows maybe I could upgrade some day to the MAX but no way they will fit in from the top... Not enough room between the baffle and the glass.

I used 3/4 MDF, 2 cans of spray foam, 6 layers of Dynamat extreme and 6 long bolts with washers on both ends.

I am happy with the results again I never tried anything like this before. I made the baffle and Chad From Xtreme Audio in Apache Junction AZ made the trim piece for me. He did a great job, I love the look he did a great job.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is below. Has a Tactite Gray Roof, Gray Magnum SRT wheels, Pedders Race Suspension, Air Intake, Diablo tuner, Grip Grille color matched, black painted head light housings... More. I have had 5 sets of wheels, here are some pics.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want my subs baking in the AZ sun on the package shelf like that. I would try to cover them with grill cloth at least. I think the surrounds would become brittle and weak fairly quickly. :confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
As I said on CA

Really nice job. I would love to hear it some time. One question if you would, How is the staging? do you find it low or at the dash?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I said on CA

Really nice job. I would love to hear it some time. One question if you would, How is the staging? do you find it low or at the dash?
So far with no tuning it seems low. I wonder what would happen if I moved the tweeters to the stock dash locations? Is that way too far from the other speakers?

exactly what kind of spray foam did you use and where to get it? Thanks!
I used the medium expanding yellow foam from home depot. It was really amazing, and I cant believe how solid it made the baffle. I was shocked actually. Just make sure you get it where you want it or else you are toast LOL

·
Registered
271 Posts
All around very nice install. I had the same question about height of the sound stage. Beautiful car. Interestingly enough I have been thinking of using the exact same equipment, just with a single 8" ID sub. :) I'd love to hear how it sounds once you have time to tune!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All around very nice install. I had the same question about height of the sound stage. Beautiful car. Interestingly enough I have been thinking of using the exact same equipment, just with a single 8" ID sub. :) I'd love to hear how it sounds once you have time to tune!
Not sure how one ID 8 would hang with the Dyns. In my opinion even not bening a bass head I would consider something more or you might be upgrading soon after your install.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with the equipment you have im going to need you to step up from that LOC to one of the factory integration pieces out there
Think it will make a difference?

I bought all the JL stuff at one point and returned it.

From what I was told it gives a "flat" eq line. BUT so does the new pac piece so what is the difference?

Does anyone think it would improve the sound by having it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
So far with no tuning it seems low. I wonder what would happen if I moved the tweeters to the stock dash locations? Is that way too far from the other speakers?

I used the medium expanding yellow foam from home depot. It was really amazing, and I cant believe how solid it made the baffle. I was shocked actually. Just make sure you get it where you want it or else you are toast LOL
I put mine on the a pillars and the sound stage is nice, low on the windshield or high dash. I am working on the x-over points a little

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put mine on the a pillars and the sound stage is nice, low on the windshield or high dash. I am working on the x-over points a little
Lets say the doors have the 8s, the kicks the 3s, and I move the tweets to the dash will that work?

·
Member Infinitum
681 Posts
IMO, I think the tweeters are fine in the kick panels....however, I think using dome midranges in kicks might become the limiting factor. Do a search as I think it has been discussed before. Also, are you using the Zapco amps with EQ and alignment capabilities?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes the DC amps with Time Aligment, EQ with optional frequencies to play with, Q bass, Q settings, xover points, lots of stuff!

·
Member Infinitum
681 Posts
OK, cool. Then with patience and time you should be able to raise the stage height noticably. Have fun, great looking install by the way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts