DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was running a cheap Sony amp to my evl12 in the box that was made for the speaker. I upgraded all the wiring to 1/0 and I have a 3.5 farad cap. The old amp pushed this sub so hard at 8ohms. I'm running it at 1ohm now. Its sounds great until you start getting up in the volume. It seems to top out before it did with the 480w amp. Any ideas? Amp is the pma1000hc by alphasonik

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
What sub is able to run 8ohms and also 1 ohm?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was running a cheap Sony amp to my evl12 in the box that was made for the speaker. I upgraded all the wiring to 1/0 and I have a 3.5 farad cap. The old amp pushed this sub so hard at 8ohms. I'm running it at 1ohm now. Its sounds great until you start getting up in the volume. It seems to top out before it did with the 480w amp. Any ideas? Amp is the pma1000hc by alphasonik
Is the amp stable at one ohm?
Yes amp is 3000w at 1 ohm

·
Registered
884 Posts
Digital multimeter the speaker terminals on the back to make sure it's the correct ohm load.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
So it sounds like the 3000w amp rating is derived at 1-ohm.

Do you know what its rating is driving into 4-ohms?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Product Specifications
Skar Audio EVL-12 D2 Subwoofer

• Dual 2 Ohm Voice Coil Configuration
  • Peak Power: 2500 Watts
  • RMS Power: 1250 Watts
  • Competition Grade Pressed Paper Cone
  • 3" High Temperature CCAW Voice Coil
  • Frequency Response: 25 Hz - 250 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 85.1 dB
  • Xmax: 23.5 mm
  • Mounting Depth: 7.75"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the info on the amp
Specifications:
Power Handling
  • 500W x 2 @ 4 Ohm
  • 1500W x 2 @ 2 Ohms
  • 1575W x 1 @ 4 Ohms
  • 2500W x 1 @ 2 Ohms
  • 3000W x 1 @ 1 Ohm<
General Features:
  • Remote Bass Boost Control
  • Remote Digital Volt Meter
  • Cooling Fan(s)
  • Bridgeable
  • Tiffany-Style RCA Jacks
  • 1-ohm Stable
  • Hour Meter
  • Onboard Crossover
  • Subsonic Filter
  • Bass Boost
  • 4-way Protection Circuitry
  • Beveled Clear Acrylic Protective Cover
  • Parallel Line-Out RCA Jacks
  • MOSFET High-Speed Switching Power Supply

·
Registered
721 Posts
And have you confirmed you wired it correctly for parallel? - to - to -, + to + to +? If you never went in the sub and changed the wiring I suspect you are in series for a 4 ohm load, as your old amp wouldn't of handled 1 ohm.

I also see your new amp is 2 channel. You need to make sure you wire it correctly according to the manual to bridge them. And make sure the subsonic filter is all the way down to 15. CCW I believe.

Also how did you set your gains on the amp? If too low, you may be trying to compensate by turning the HU volume up higher and causing a clipped signal coming out of the HU.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm waiting for my neighbor to wake up so i can get the multimeter to check but i did pull the sub out and rewire in parallel. and its bridged using the 2 outside terminals which are marked for bridged. Subsonic is all the way down and gains are all the way up

·
Registered
721 Posts
Looking at a pic of that amp, everything BUT the LPF should be full CCW. If you really have them 'all the way up' that's why your sound sucks. You're clipping like crazy. Everything else should be left on its lowest setting and the only one you should increase is the gain.

Reactions: Bchester6

·
Registered
884 Posts
I wouldn't recommend running anything at 1 ohm especially that much power without an upgraded alternator and battery.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
I wouldn't recommend running anything at 1 ohm especially that much power without an upgraded alternator and battery.
I suppose the DMM can tell him if there is a charging problem...

Let's solve one problem at a time.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts