Votes: 0 0.0%
  • amazon

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am looking to make a 8" subwoofer and amplifier.

I have a 200W audio amplifier, which I was looking for advice on in this thread 200W amplifier design .

Does anyone have any good speaker companies? So far, I'm leaning towards skaraudio.com .
I'm thinking of getting their 8" 300W subwoofer.

When I have a 100W amp for a subwoofer, is a 300W subwoofer good? Would a 500W subwoofer sound better even though the amplifier is only 100W?

Thanks in advance!

· Premium Member
GILLDON AUDIO
554 Posts
Out of what you have listed.
1.75 ft3 ported enclosure port tune to 28hz

With 100watts look for a subwoofer with a higher sensitivity. Doesn't matter if it's RMS rating is 300 or 500.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of what you have listed.
1.75 ft3 ported enclosure port tune to 28hz

With 100watts look for a subwoofer with a higher sensitivity. Doesn't matter if it's RMS rating is 300 or 500.
Thanks @Nineteen69Mach1

Do you know how this compares to any skaraudio subwoofers?

· Premium Member
GILLDON AUDIO
554 Posts
Thanks @Nineteen69Mach1

Do you know how this compares to any skaraudio subwoofers?
I'm assuming your looking at the IX line of Skar.
The Dayton has a higher sensitivity so it louder per watt. It has a lower FS so it plays lower with less distortion, and it has more Xmax so it moves more air.
So yes, In my opinion the Dayton is a much better option.

Reactions: kgray9

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming your looking at the IX line of Skar.
The Dayton has a higher sensitivity so it louder per watt. It has a lower FS so it plays lower with less distortion, and it has more Xmax so it moves more air.
So yes, In my opinion the Dayton is a much better option.
Oh, thanks for explaining. I just checked all of the Skar subwoofer lines, and they all have the same sensitivity of ~80dB, and FS of ~50hz! The only difference is the higher the wattage, the higher the Xmax.

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
Hello, I know very little about Subwoofers, but I am VERY happy with the 8" one I am running now and have no plans or desires to upgrade or even add another one, which I could easily do on the opposite side of my SUV.

Automotive design Carbon Grey Automotive exterior Rim

I was originally running 260w to it and it sounded ok, but then I ran a 500w mono amp to it and it sounded quite a bit better, as I understand it, running "more" power to a Sub is better than running less and then having to overdrive you amp, as that high end is where the distortion raises it's ugly head and can make you bass sound "sloppy" (not a technical term...lol)...

These list for $300 or so and there are two people on eBay selling them for $220, - I'd chose this over the Skar, anyday (but then again, I have never run a Skar)...

Tech Sheet: https://www.audison.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/AUDISON_Prima_APS8D_Tech_Sheet.pdf

Reactions: kgray9

· Registered
1,010 Posts
skar is trash, but some of their older subs would survive you TRYING to beat them to death. saw a guy with ppi black ice bouncing two older ix's off of their xmech's, sounded atrocious, but ive never seen any other sub that id bet a single dollar that they could survive what those subs went through. also seen plenty of them with flaws right our of the box, and never heard one that i couldnt think of a driver id rather have in the same budget.
as mentioned earlier, if youre limited on power, look for the highest sensitivity spec you can find, ignore power rating unless its lower than what youve got. i wouldnt worry about fs too much on an 8 inch sub, as at higher volumes youll run out of displacement anyway, and 8 with a magical 10hz fs still wont hit 10hz with authority unless it also has a magical amount of xmax

· Registered
740 Posts
Without knowing the test conditions for the listed sensitivity specs it is pretty much meaningless.

A small enclosure is not going to play low and loud.

Are you really sure an 8" sub and 100 watts is going to be sufficient for your listening levels and expectations?

The dayton listed above is the best choice of what you listed

· Registered
8,024 Posts
I own both Skar and Dayton subs and use them daily. There is simply no comparison in performance, quality and value. My Skar subs are okay for what they are, but I would never have bought them if I had known any better at the time. I absolutely love my Dayton subs, and I would happily buy them again. Parts Express/Dayton have earned their excellent reputation. Skar, not so much...

· Registered
8,024 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.