DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
multiple driver sub SQ bass? What is your take on it? I have modeled and it models as well as many other world champion sq sub setups! The difference is the extra spl you can get.

I have found multiple small drivers to give a very good sq type result.

Give me some response on what you think and why you think it will or will not work in SQ

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Depending on how they were arranged, maybe phase/time alignment could pose a problem? It just seems many, many subs would be mounted all over the place.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Larger speakers = SQ

A larger speaker doesn't have to Xmax as far to produce deep bass unlike a smaller speaker.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm just guessing but wouldn't the higher Fs make it a little harder to get low even with a ton of cone area? Either way, interested in the results.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Buwalda did something like this recently, swapped from two 18" FI subs in an IB config, to four of the new 6.5" HAT subs, in a 6th order box. Thats almost 25% of the cone area of the 18"s, but he (and several other people) state that it is not only louder, but sounds better than the two 18"s did.

With the 6.5"s it was all based on the box. Agreed on large cone area and low excursion reducing distortion, but 4th and 6th order boxes, if built well, also reduce distortion.

I would love to emulate his setup, but for me, its too much trunk space to lose, so I'll stick with two 15"s IB.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Buwalda did something like this recently, swapped from two 18" FI subs in an IB config, to four of the new 6.5" HAT subs, in a 6th order box. Thats almost 25% of the cone area of the 18"s, but he (and several other people) state that it is not only louder, but sounds better than the two 18"s did.

With the 6.5"s it was all based on the box. Agreed on large cone area and low excursion reducing distortion, but 4th and 6th order boxes, if built well, also reduce distortion.

I would love to emulate his setup, but for me, its too much trunk space to lose, so I'll stick with two 15"s IB.
I had my 12W6s in a 4th order bandpass and excursion was rediculously low. It looked fake like you had the real sub hidden somewhere. You could look in through the port or put your hand on the subs and with little to no visible excursion they were moving the visors and flexing the roof. I loved that setup, it was so musical and efficient and loud but the space it took up led me to the IB setup. It was fairly small for a 4th order. 1.2 sealed and 1.8 ported. The sealed section was just barely big enough to fit the subs. I'm talking half an inch behind the magnets and the frames pretty much touching each other and the edge of the box.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yep, same here, my 13 year old neon is quieter than my wifes 2010 civic, so my car is the vacation car. It has to have a big trunk. Even with the box using 6.5" subs, Scotts box is too big for me to use. Pics are a few posts down on the link.

http : //www . buwaldahybrids . com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4853&start=90

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buwaldas 4 6.5's are nice. I used a similar setup to Buwaldas almost 6 years ago and it works great. This setup would be in a bass reflex enclosure that models to an F3 of 22 Hz and an FB of 30 Hz with a subsonic filter at 35 Hz. It has no impedance problem, no cone displacement problem, and no vent velocity problem. Model shows an output of 139.4 @ 34 Hz. Most of the time you can add 10-20 db in a car based on bassbox designs and experience. This is the recomended enclosure alignment recomended by Bass Box. Oh yeah the enclosure size for this box would be 23cube including driver and port displacement

·
Registered
347 Posts
Isn't the tuning of the box what matters for SQ bass. Not the speaker necessarily.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we are going to find out I ordered the drivers today.

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
You ever model the Fi IB 18s?

It wants 63 cubic feet each for an enclosure of .707.

Put a pair of them in a small trunk of 12 cubic feet and you get a Q of 1.1.

Great for a house, but suxor for the car.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Excellent point.....

Cars are too small for most of those 15 and 18 inch subs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Excellent point.....

Cars are too small for most of those 15 and 18 inch subs.
then what about 32 6.5s? lol

I will stick with 15s and 18s

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just sold 2 IB318's

I did model them and they look great but they model no where close to the 32 6.5's. Based on cone area 32-6.5's should give a cone area close to 4 - 18's and still have the attack of a 6.5. Please keep in mind that 32 of these drivers is $309 shipped compared to the $540 of the 2 new IB3'18's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just sold 2 IB318's

I did model them and they look great but they model no where close to the 32 6.5's. Based on cone area 32-6.5's should give a cone area close to 4 - 18's and still have the attack of a 6.5. Please keep in mind that 32 of these drivers is $309 shipped compared to the $540 of the 2 new IB3'18's.
what brand?

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
? I will keep that on the low for now. If they work like I think they will then I want to buy all of the left over stock.

LOL

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to do 64 but that would involve a wall and that is out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would like to do 64 but that would involve a wall and that is out.
I am interested in seeing it.

But I have serious doubts on how it will sound. But you never know.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts