DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions for a new/used head unit in the $350-$450 range, new or used does not matter. For example I have been looking at Pioneer X930BT and F90BT units, Alpine W505. My budget would be a little more, but it appears I am likely to need $150+ of wiring harnesses/dash kits :(

I have never owned a double DIN unit, so am not really sure about which are good models to go with. I wish a single DIN looked better in my dash, otherwise I would go that route. So, since I am forced (somewhat) into a double DIN I want something that has a good screen and navigation. I am using an external processor so tuning options are not so important. Dual zone capability would also be nice.

Sorry this is kind of vague, I honestly know very little about DD units. Might be posting a WTB ad soon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The units you're looking at may be hard to find in that range. I have both a w505 and a z120bt... the system interface on the Alpine is simpler and easier to navigate (imo), but the ipod interface on the Pioneer is MUCH better and loads faster. The Alpine requires add on for nav, bluetooth, etc.. while the Pioneer has them all built in. Something to consider in your shopping.

If I had to choose one to use with an external processor it would probably be the Pioneer but I would have no problems keeping the Alpine either. Now if I was looking for the ultimate sq dd set up, it would be the w505/h701 combo or the w910/h800 combo. However since you already have a processor you don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The units you're looking at may be hard to find in that range. I have both a w505 and a z120bt... the system interface on the Alpine is simpler and easier to navigate (imo), but the ipod interface on the Pioneer is MUCH better and loads faster. The Alpine requires add on for nav, bluetooth, etc.. while the Pioneer has them all built in. Something to consider in your shopping.
Yeah, I realize its going to be tough finding one in that price range. I am hoping to find probably a used Pioneer at this point, I see the F930BT on eBay for around $500 brand new, hoping to keep an eye out for a used model. It is annoying that to get any stereo to work with my car I need to spend so much on wiring harnesses, and that a single DIN would look so out of place in my dash (otherwise I would be considering an older Alpine, probably a CDA-7998).

The Alpines needing additional components for nav and bluetooth are what is putting me off Alpines units, despite me being an Alpine fan. I have no iPod, so the interface on the Pioneer is useless to me.

Annoyingly I missed an Alpine W505, with NVE-P1 and Sirius module on eBay the other day, it sold for $375 on a buy it now.

Also saw some guy on Craigslist selling a Pioneer for a decent price, he had it listed as an X9130BT though, when I emailed him, his reply said it is both, that they are the same, and he is selling it as suppliers sometimes give him extras, not touching that one with a 10' pole.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I will also say that the navigation on the Alpine (nve-p1), while not quite useless, is not far from it. By far the worst in dash navigation I have used... in fact even when I had it I still used my Garmin as the Alpine was just not reliable and terribly outdated.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will also say that the navigation on the Alpine (nve-p1), while not quite useless, is not far from it. By far the worst in dash navigation I have used... in fact even when I had it I still used my Garmin as the Alpine was just not reliable and terribly outdated.
That is the second thing that puts me off the Alpine units, almost every review I read of the P1 was pretty poor, and the bluetooth reviews are not far behind either.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are the Eclipse double DIN units? I know the single DIN are good units, but don't know much about the doubles. There are a few AVN6600's on eBay at the moment for under $300. 5V pre out's would be nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts