DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
help... 350z Roadster upgrade

Hi All... Im new to the site and know just enough about audio to be dangerous ( which means not much). Its snowing here in colorado and have a new toy 350z roadster, so I thought i would upgrade the bose system.

Here is what im thinking after researching on the site a bit.
1. sound material - floor under seats... Doors... space behind seats. I wanted to quiet the road noise ( i Know its a rag top :)) as much as possible and also help rattles etc.

2. I was going to keep the HU because i don't need or want tv's or navi, this is a weekend mountain blaster and i just want decent tunes. If everyone feels a new hu would make a huge difference i may do it next year.

3. Sub box by wicked CAS with a JL Audio 10w3 in the stock location seems to be a popular option

4. I don't want to lose the dead pedal in this 6speed car which means i only have a few options on the front stage. I was thinking about stock location with 61/2 seperates...i know everyone hates that idea, but what other choice is there?.

5. SQ Sub Amp and 2 channel amp OR what??? with bose HU with an option to change HU later?

6. HU next year

budget is on the conservative side but not set in stone... the jl10 sub is 150ish and the box a few hundred so the other stuff should not be out of wack based on the sub/box money for front stage / amps and maybe a HU next year. I would just like to spend what it would take to make a clean system (sQ)... don't need the latest greatest but good value without having to hunt for good used stuff. Thas budget im sure for most here but better then the stock system, My music tastes range from old rock to metal to rap and i just like smooth clean sound with a bit of bump.

I know there are quite a few people who have done z's not sure how many roadsters...so any ideas or views on what works equipment wise and what im thinking for a reasonable price would be a great help. I going to do the work myself, I have all winter :)

thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
sounds good mate.

the JL sub will provide the much needed extra bass. some speakers to look at would be brands like DLS, Moral and Seas Lotus.

The 2 way seas lotus ref are fantastic SQ speakers with out having to run them active.

Consider a unit like the Audioson bit one or jbl MS8 for more tuning power. (these units work with stock systems well. with out a extrenal unit your stock heap is useless. (p.s a new head unit could end up way cheaper)

AMP wise. JL audios range is compact, hi in sound qaulity and priced well cant realy beat them, maby the 5ch model would suit you best.

as for rear speakers id say not to bother.

hope this is a help to you. im not an expert but i have installed 3 or 4 high end set ups now with good results.. DIY for the win.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Check out zenclosures.com he makes very good quality boxes for cheap. The z community uses them a lot

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you wanna keep the dead pedal, check out wicked cas speaker pods also, very popular. There $50 off for my350z.com members they're a vendor on that site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Duro i will check into those

Thanks timbo... seems as i do more reading a HU may be the way to go right off the bat vs a processor. anything reasonable come to mind? Also would you sound deaden the inner and outer panel on the doors or is that overkill. also would you use something different then dynamat etc on the floor / firewall to quiet the interior

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a z also. I deadened the inner and outer door skin and the panel also. The passenger side only had inner and outer door skin done and honestly I didn't notice a difference. It added a lot of weight to the doors so consider that also. Don't bother with those rear speakers behind the seats there a complete waste of time and ruin the front stage. Lmk if you have any questions I've ripped and put back that inferior more times than I care to remember lol

·
Registered
696 Posts
A lot of people have had success dampening the wheel wells considering they're inside the cabin of the car. Depends how far you want to go with this but like you mentioned might not be worth the effort since its a vert.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks duro... so it sounds like if you had to do again you might only do the inner door panel with speakers going into stock location or using cas pods?

Is there a better material to use as actual noise reduction from the outside.. ie wheel wells floor etc then a dynamat type material?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would of def gone with the pods. The time, effort and extra weight to get mediocre results, not worth it. Im more into sq now so they just dont do it for me anymore. Then the speaker covers pretty much cover 50% of the speaker also. I leave them off or there's a mod where you can use speaker cloth material instead. I've given up on the doors. I've mounted some vifa 25xt's in the vents and going to get the pods that should sound nice. Was also considering doing a 3way. I used edead the liquid deadener on the inner and outer door panels, then 2 layers of dynamat over it. Edead doesn't get the best reviews but IMO it does what its supposed to. It would do the best in the wheel wells IMO. Don't quote me on this but there was a guy that did it years ago on that forum and the results weren't worth the effort involved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice to see a fellow Colorado 350z roadster. I am up in Ft. Collins and have a 04 touring. I am also planning on doing an audio upgrade before top-down season hits. Sadly I do not currently have a garage to use so my project is waiting till early spring when I can take the cover off and knock it out. Here is what I have planned:

HU: JVC Arsenal KW-ADV794
Front Speakers: Boston Acoustic components
Rear Speakers: Boston Acoustic coaxials
Sub-woofer: JL Audio 10W3v3-2
Enclosure: SRQ cubby enclosure
Amp: Rockford Fosgate R600-5

I know a lot of people say not to bother with rear speakers but with the roadster I just don't like the thought of having everything in the footwells and the cost of some coaxials is certainly not going to break the bank with the money I am putting into the rest of the system. I am very interested to see how your project goes and would be willing to pitch in on a weekend if you need some help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks twiz for the offer... im going to be working on it on and off between other projects... Just started taking our interior but still not 100% sure of what i want on the setup, but yours sounds good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts