DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally I am getting some traction on this build for my 2003 Nissan 350z. I have done an enormous amount of reading on this website and others in planning this install so thought I should let everyone see what I am up to.

The setup will will be:

Headunit: Pioneer MVH 8300 BT (installed)
Front Stage: DLS Gothia 6.3 (purchased) Big thanks to South East Customz for sorting these out for me
Rear Stage: Deleted
Sub Stage: DLS Nordica 12 (planned)
Amps: Alpine PDX F4 (purchased), Fusion FP1402 (already owned), Unknown
DSP: Mini DSP 8x8 (planned)
Sound Deadening: Dynamat Xtreme

The third amp will most likely be a second of one of the two that I already have, depending on how they perform. I can get a second hand fusion for about 1/4 the price of another Alpine so I am leaning that way.

The DSP will not be installed straight away, I'll use the included passive crossovers while I get everything up and running, which will probably be over the next two months.

I am taking / uploading pics right now so will add them to next post.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Gothia 6.3

6.5" Driver

Starting to make some Speaker Rings....

Arc Jig came with the router, but was only good for the largest radius cuts

Made my own jig for smaller cuts

Cut out rings as so:

Clamped the rings down to make the final cuts manually

And ended up with a bunch of speaker rings, later sanded down the rough edges

I routed out the edges of the rings which the speakers would actually be mounted to

The oversized spacers and the routed edges are because the DLS manual (http://dls.se/files/701/2/baffle_installation.pdf) suggests that the woofers need good airflow to perform to their best.

The next day I got onto stripping out my car...

I gutted the boot a bit ahead of time because I wanted to play with the car with a bit of a weight reduction. removing all that gear from the rear end definitely made a difference, the car is louder, faster and quite a bit looser...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, this will be a reasonably slow build as I am tight on time, but I will try to post plenty of pics.

Hoping to pick up fibreglass supplies during the week and start on some front speaker mounts on Thursday, weather permitting. It doesn't look like those woofers are going to fit comfortably just with a few spacers up front, so I may as well pull my finger out and custom make some pods that I can bolt directly to the door frame and which properly align with the factory holes in the door skin.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Looking good so far!

Just a tip... this forum only allows new members to edit posts for a few hours, so there's no point in "reserving" posts at the top unless you plan to go back and edit it to post pictures the same day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looking good so far!

Just a tip... this forum only allows new members to edit posts for a few hours, so there's no point in "reserving" posts at the top unless you plan to go back and edit it to post pictures the same day.
Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway I made a tiny bit of progress this week, and grabbed a few new pics.

Went out this afternoon and got some fibreglass so I can start working on the front door pods and reinforcing the kicks:

I pulled out the stock Bose sub and amp... not an incredibly impressive looking piece of hardware, but I think someone tested it and it's not actually as useless as it looks.

I was plesently supprised to see how much space was in the cavity behind the sub, I am planning on mounting a lot of gear in there...

Here is the old Fusion amp I will be using to power the front woofers. I stripped it down and cleaned it and de-badged it a few weeks ago, will probably mount it upside down with some perspex as a bit of a show piece, not that's it's much to show off I think it still looks cool. The Alpine amp should arrive tomorrow.
(Pre clean)

(Cover removed)

Finally, this is the Pioneer headunit I installed a while back, got to do something about that ugly ipod USB cable, I'm just keeping my eye out for a slim black right-angle USB adapter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
subscribed. Looking good. I have some DLS speakers that I've yet to install. The literature that came with them recommended those same angled inside edges (i think they call it chamfered) of the mounting rings to provide adequate airflow. Curious to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
that doesn't look like a sub, it looks like a passive radiator. I an see the engine tho

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually had a thread going on that form in the Audio/Video section when I was initially trying to design the system. I have already linked this install thread there but maybe I should link it from the DIY Audio/Video section as well.

subscribed.

can we get some pictures of the outside of the car? (always helps give some overall perspective.)
I don't actually have any exterior shots at the moment so I'll take some this weekend, after I wash it!

Nice start, great car! :) Although I have to admit, I hate HU's with a front USB slot.
Yeah it's not that great, that head unit was a bit of an impulse buy, main reason I went for it is BT hands-free integration. Part of this project is actually wiring up my Android phone properly, I have 3.5mm adapter that plugs into the ip-bus in the back of the unit. So what I may do is migrate my music to my Android then I can get rid of the iPod and that cable all together.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Amp arrived today, Wahoo! The box is a bit banged up, thankfully Alpine packaged it well enough to be dropped from a plane, because it looks like that's what happened to it.

Today I made the bases for my door pods, pics provided:

Door skins off

Stock speakers out, they are a pain to disconnect so I just stuck them to the door frame with their own magnet to keep them out of the way.

I want a layer of Dynamat between the pods and the door to eliminate any buzzing from the midbass, so I lay that down after cleaning the surface with meths. I need to get myself a roller for this, but for this small area a rubber mallet worked fine.

I'm keeping the off cuts because I will use them to target any vibration on interior panels later on.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts