DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on adding an amp, an 8" sub and 6.5 component speakers to the base car radio. My preference is to place the 6.5's behind the front seats on the elevated shelf, about 24" from driver and passenger. It seems the clarity would be improved over mounting low in the doors, but I've read negative things on rear speaker placement. Bad idea? Or not?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The question I have for you about the placement of your speakers is why would you want them behind you? Not to be a jerk here but the reason the speakers are placed in front of you is so that you are "facing" the music. You wouldn't sit with your back to the stage or band at a concert would you? If you are just going for ambient sound then wherever you want to place them is fine, but if you want a "sound stage" then go for in front of you. Again take all this with a grain of salt as this is all about what you want from your audio system.

P

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it seems speakers in the door are firing sideways at my knees, while in the rear at ear level, firing from the opposite side of the car 2 feet away they have a straight shot to your ear. I used to have a van with speaker boxes mounted like that, the sound was great. It seems the front low mount are muffled.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Jerry,

the 370Z is a state of the art car. I was just looking at one at a new car show the other day. If you have this car it is because you appreciate the attention to detail, the way that form and function are melded together in a way that catches the eye and excites the senses. My point is that this car is a feat of engineering that is made to excite. I can't imagine putting together a sound system in this car that doesn't do the same. That being said, I don't remember looking at the factory layout for speakers, etc, so I couldn't advise on what would sound best, but I would ditto with the previous poster said. My .02 anyways, but your car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts