DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everybody on this site I've been able to piece together a build that I believe is as high quality as possible within my budget. The amount of knowledge on this site is priceless!

With the release of the new iPad Mini, I decided to put an iPad in my car's dash. The iPad Mini is 7.81 inches in landscape, so it's only slightly larger than the DIN space in the car.

I'm building this system from scratch for my 350z. I haven't done any car audio stuff since 2007, so I've been out of the game for a while. I'd like to get a sanity check on this build and make sure what I've got planned is appropriate and evenly keeled.

GOALS
  1. SQ
  2. $3000 budget
  3. Even quality across all components of the build (value vs. price)
  4. Visually pleasing

THE BUILD
Speakers:
  1. Mid-high: Hertz HSK 165XL
  2. Midbass: JL 6W3v3
  3. Low: JL 12W6v2

Amps:
  1. JL HD 600/4 to power mid-high and midbass (150w to each)
  2. JL HD 750/1 to power sub

Source:
  1. iPad mini, connected to
  2. HRT iStreamer DAC, connected to
  3. Pioneer DEH-80PRS audio in

I decided to use the audio in (aux2) on the back of DEH instead of the digital usb support because of the lack of charging support (DEH 80 only supplies .5 amps, while the iPad Mini needs 2.1). Also, it looks like the sound abilities may be limited, even in app mode, and I wanted to make sure i ALWAYS have sound coming from my iPad to the HU.

With all the deals I've found online, this setup costs $3016 before tax, and does not include wiring (I have TONS of wiring stuff already).

So what do you guys think? Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Dunno the answer as to what more you need, but welcome to another rainy weather guy!

·
Registered
2007 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
219 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and the welcomes guys.

Indy- I think I'm going with SDS for sound deadening. I'll probably do the entire car, which is likely to cost about 500 or so. I didn't include it as part of the audio budget because I have to sound deaden no matter what. My car has lots of road noise already and my fiancé would kill for a quieter ride :).

Looks like there's nothing too wrong with my build specs, so i'll probably buy this stuff this week and then keep you all updated on my progress! I might wait on the 12W6v2 though because the v3s should be out soon. Maybe I can wait a week on that...

Then next weekend or so I'll start sound deadening, then the weekend after that I can do the speaker install. The fabrication of some sort of in dash mount will probably come later, after I figure out how I want to mount it.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Devin,

Welcome to DIYMA. :)

I'm interested in the new iPad Mini as well! Have you confirmed with HRT that the iStreamer is compatible with the new iPad Mini? Since the iPad Mini has the new "Lightning" connector, there is a possibility that the current iStreamer will not be able to extract the digital signal even if using the Lightning-to-30-pin adapter.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything on the HRT web site that confirms that the iStreamer is compatible with the new iPad Mini, 2nd Gen iPad 3, or iPhone5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering the same thing so I went to their facebook page. Sure enough, there was a post and picture there saying that it works perfect with the new lightning connector as well.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A few questions:
Why are you using an iPad?
Since you're using an iPad where are you going to put the 80PRS?
Why and where are you going to put the 6W3's?
Why are you going with the HD mono block are you limited by space? I'd say if you have a budget save money on your sub amp, there are other amps that can do that power for less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few questions:
Why are you using an iPad?
Since you're using an iPad where are you going to put the 80PRS?
Why and where are you going to put the 6W3's?
Why are you going with the HD mono block are you limited by space? I'd say if you have a budget save money on your sub amp, there are other amps that can do that power for less.
Thanks for the great questions.

I'm using an iPad because I'm an iOS developer, and have some fun audio projects I can do to control things with the iPad (3D audio tuning, etc... that could eventually replace the head unit completely if I wanted). I can have movies playing for my fiancé, etc. etc... it's just cool.

I'm putting the iPad mini above my stereo in the factory cubby that normally would fit the navigations system of the car. The 80PRS will go in the factory stereo location.

After a lot of research I decided to try placing the 6w3v3s right behind the stock rear speaker location and towards the edge of the car (right in front of the rear wheels in the front part of the trunk). I really didn't want to put them in my kick panels up front because I have a manual and really don't want to sacrifice my dead pedal foot rest. I think I can tune them and aim them such that it will have the correct phase to fit with the rest of the car's audio. I've had dedicated midbass before and they were behind the front seats there as well. I think it will work fine.

I'm not sure if you were asking why I'm going with dedicated mid bass (you said why and where), but if you're asking why... I really hate systems that go straight from sub to components. It seems that no matter how good the components are up front, there's a dead zone in the 100-300 range where the music lacks richness. I really like dedicated mid bass for richness.

I'm sort of limited by space (I have a 350z.. two seater hatchback), but my main reason for going with HD amps was looks, price, and weight. I actually got the HD750/1 for $440 brand new off amazon.com. Not a bad deal I think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why are you retaining the head unit? I would eliminate it and use a JL audio master volume knob and have the iPad as the sole source. If you have the LTE iPad you will have all of the source material you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why are you retaining the head unit? I would eliminate it and use a JL audio master volume knob and have the iPad as the sole source. If you have the LTE iPad you will have all of the source material you need.
Yeah, my ultimate goal would be to remove the head unit completely, but in the mean time the head unit gives me the following:

• 24 band equalizer
  • time delay to specific speakers, which is very important to me due to my midbass location.
  • radio support (for traffic, weather, fiance)

Later, I would like to create a 3d audio program on the iPad, and use it for volume as well as time delay and eq. I would sacrifice the head unit at that point and make use of a DSP box that took digital audio in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am looking at doing this same source setup in 08 Charger SRT.

I was going to add the wrinkle of mounting the deck main unit behind the iPad or in the glovebox, and mount the faceplate remotely. I'd like to keep the deck for the sake of sound processing (I know it's not as good as an external DSP, but its cheaper), hands free phone calls, CD playback, internal amp for rear fill (can I do that?)...

I don't know if anyone knows for sure about the charging amperage on the Mini yet. It may be supported via the USB jacks on the head unit. On another thread I thought someone mentioned the Mini was shipping with the same power adapter as the phones. The issue most people are having is the control of the connected device depending on which iOS version the device is running. I'm not worried about control, just audio and charging.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
^Are you going off looks alone, or did you measure the milliamp-hour output of the iPad Mini charger (or are the specs listed for it)??? It seems like it would take a really long time to charge if just using the iPhone USB charger. Just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
That charger is one amp right? Do they sell the 30 pin connector you can solder onto I wonder? You could always splice in a 2 amp power supply and it would charge twice as fast. I have been contemplating looking into this as my pos x920bt also doesn't charge my regular iPad which I usually try to plug in. That is annoying!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Source:
  1. iPad mini, connected to
  2. HRT iStreamer DAC, connected to
  3. Pioneer DEH-80PRS audio in
So from an audio playback perspective:

Ipad mini - music stored as AAC/MP3/ETC
Ipad mini - decodes to 48khz digital stream
HRT iStreamer DAC - decodes 48khz digital stream to analog L and R channels
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - encodes analog left and right channels from HRT back into a 48khz digital stream
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - performs equalization , etc on 48khz digital stream.
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - decodes 48khz digital stream back to analog left and right channels

If you are going with the Ipad as your primary source (and no reason not to, I am thinking of doing the same thing!), then get the digital stream out, and take that directly to an audio shaping device with digital inputs (audison bit1, modified JBL MS-8, etc). This eliminates an extra decoding and encoding step, eliminates needing the HRT iStreamer DAC, eliminates needing the Pioneer HU, and provides much more audio shaping functionality.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So from an audio playback perspective:

Ipad mini - music stored as AAC/MP3/ETC
Ipad mini - decodes to 48khz digital stream
HRT iStreamer DAC - decodes 48khz digital stream to analog L and R channels
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - encodes analog left and right channels from HRT back into a 48khz digital stream
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - performs equalization , etc on 48khz digital stream.
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - decodes 48khz digital stream back to analog left and right channels

If you are going with the Ipad as your primary source (and no reason not to, I am thinking of doing the same thing!), then get the digital stream out, and take that directly to an audio shaping device with digital inputs (audison bit1, modified JBL MS-8, etc). This eliminates an extra decoding and encoding step, eliminates needing the HRT iStreamer DAC, eliminates needing the Pioneer HU, and provides much more audio shaping functionality.
Why not run the iPad mini into the Pioneer HU via USB? Assuming the charging works... Wouldn't the USB connection send digital to the HU? Process, EQ, DAC all that with the deck. Plus CD playback. Granted you get better processing options from a standalone processor, but wouldn't the deck be significantly cheaper?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.