DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading the audio in my bmw e39. I want it to look completely stock but sound the best it can. So far i have hertz hsk163 3 way components in the front doors running off an audison lrx5.1k. For the source i have a pure i20 ipod dock going through optical to an alpine pxa h700 processor. I would love to run the setup fully active but i dont want a second amp in the car and the doors are a real pain to feed any more wires into, adding one in each was a massive hassle so i dont think its going to be easy to squeeze any more in. So i will be running the system with four channels from the amp to six speakers. What is the best way to do this? With the tweeter and mid on a crossover and the midbass on a separate channel or the other way around, tweeter on its own and mid and midbass on the crossover. Also is it ok to run just two speakers on a 3way crossover. For phase adjustment i would have guessed its best to have the tweeter on its own channel as this will probably make more of a difference to the sound but the tweeter and the mid will be located quite high up and quite close to eachother compared to the midbass (tweeters in the a pillars, the mids close to the top of the door and the midbass will be at the bottom rear of the front doors) i wanted 3 way because of the lack of room high up on the door and also lack of room at the bottom near the front of the doorcards without modifications that will make it look obviously not stock.
The crossover points with the supplied crossover are 500hz and i think around 4k but whatever i run active i have the processor to control. And output of the amp is 160w x2 and 60w x2 (plus 1050watts for the subwoofer)
Like i said i really dont want to add a second amp, mainly for ease of install and to be slightly kinder on a stock alternator. If it is really that highly recommended i will try to look for a stereo audison lrx series, with my experince with this amp so far i would not use anything else that is near that budget, i love the 5.1k.

Thank you in advance for any replies and advice on this.
The system is not fully installed at the moment as i am making brackets for the front speakers so i cannot try anything. I am temporarily using some old rockford 5.25inch coaxials and rockford t1 tweeters from an old install, each speaker on its own channel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there anyone else running 6 speakers off of a 4 channel amp? Or know of anyone who is? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts