DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an Audiofrog GB 3 way setup in my car and really love it, nothing to complain. But, I always wondered how a 2 way with high end large format tweeters would compare. I would still use the GB60 as midbass drivers. With the 2 way, I could use the 2 extra channels to experiment with rear fill.

Any real world experience on this subject? It’s still lot of work and money just to try it so any info appreciated!

There are beautiful Satoris in sale right now on the classifieds...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If you want to try a large format tweeter that is made for the GB60 than the GB15 is it. The GB15 is an incredible tweeter that can cross very low. If you can get the GB15 closer to being on axis than it would be even better. Mine are located in the factory locations in the dash corners and they are about as good as it gets for a two way like this. A good alternative on a budget would be the SB Acoustics SBRDCN29 neo magnet tweeter. I have these in my minivan and really like those too. It’s my opinion that you will not beat those SB Acoustics tweeters for that price range. I have my GB15 crossed at 2k Hz and my SB 2.5k Hz, both in active two ways.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I currently have an Audiofrog GB 3 way setup in my car and really love it, nothing to complain. But, I always wondered how a 2 way with high end large format tweeters would compare. I would still use the GB60 as midbass drivers. With the 2 way, I could use the 2 extra channels to experiment with rear fill.

Any real world experience on this subject? It’s still lot of work and money just to try it so any info appreciated!

There are beautiful Satoris in sale right now on the classifieds...
Where are your speakers mounted currently? I don't think the 3-way can be beat.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What’s a large format tweeter really going to gain you? 1,800 Hz with the GB15 vs 2,500 Hz for the GB10. Sorry, not much gain there.

But what you’re really losing is the ability to keep 300-20,000 Hz up high and (nearly) on-axis. You’d be moving the very, very important (vocals) 300-1,800 Hz range down to your doors. This is most definitely a huge step back.

Now if you were talking a GB60 and GB15 up high on/in the dash or something like the Illusion C6CX coaxial, then you’d be making a nice improvement.

But dropping from one of the best 3-ways with great placement to one of the best 2-ways with mediocre placement (6.5 in door) is definitely a step back. Even if your 6.5 was mounted nicely in a kick panel, it wouldn’t be as nice as what you already have.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
You wont beat 3 way. Just because the FS of a large format tweeter can be down to 400hz doesnt mean you can still cross it below 2k or so

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
Now if you had asked for opinions about doubling the power to the GB60s with a new amp and then using the newly opened channels for rear fill, I’m sure you would have gotten enthusiastic thumbs up replies. :D

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I've experimented with this, you could do it but you'll have to be hyper-selective in which drivers you choose in order to get an excellent outcome. Blending the drivers can be challenging. Frequency response, polar plot, harmonic distortion, and CSD data can give you a perspective on the performance of the driver, but it doesn't communicate tonality. Matching tonality can be challenging with a 2-way when listening near-field.

I've found that even if a driver is able to reproduce a frequency with low harmonic distortion, some frequencies just don't sound "right" out of too small of a cone. This is a trade-off between beaming frequency and richness of lower midrange when selecting a midrange driver. I've found the 4-5" range to be the optimal point in my opinion. The reason why I bring this up is that even if the tweeter can play super low frequencies without much distortion, it might not sound quite "right". It'll depend on the driver's characteristics but this can be a thing.

As a related tangent, as far as budget large-format tweeters go, the SB26ADC-C000-4 is the winner. At around $100 for a pair, they're a ridiculous bargain. Very natural, laid back, and can handle being crossed over at 1500-1600hz LR4 at reasonable volumes. I did 1,800hz LR2 and it didn't seem to mind at all and sounded unstrained while doing it. Exceptionally low harmonic distortion between 1khz-2khz. They're the first aluminum dome tweeters that I actually wouldn't mind using in a budget setup. Don't expect beryllium-type detail resolution but you get a heck of a lot for the money and it's much better than other textile dome tweeters that I've tried within that price range.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't see the need for a 3 way in a small environment like a car. At home yes, in car not really. Save your money and get the best 2 way drivers you can afford.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I don't see the need for a 3 way in a small environment like a car. At home yes, in car not really. Save your money and get the best 2 way drivers you can afford.
Really? :confused: Couldn't disagree more. I have a science behind my "opinion", you don't.

If anything it is more necessary in a car since at home you can have the drivers on axis and in a car you can't.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Really? :confused: Couldn't disagree more. I have a science behind my "opinion", you don't.

If anything it is more necessary in a car since at home you can have the drivers on axis and in a car you can't.
I agree with this. I explained my reasonings above why the 3-way is better than MOST 2-ways simply due to placement. I’m definitely a proponent of keep it simple, which means the fewer drivers the better but since a car environment is very unforgiving in both acoustics and speaker placement, a 3-way will usually be better than a 2-way assuming both are of similar quality equipment AND installation.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
You also didn't see a need for signal delay in a car, so....

·
Registered
393 Posts
SBRDCN29 is built like a tank. 24db/oct. High pass at 1600Hz is no problem if you don't play very loud. By mistake I once connected mine to my woofer amp so for a week or two they played down to 80Hz.
But in my next car I do want a 3 way setup. 2way is difficult because you need a woofer that plays from 80 to 2khz and placement is very critical.
I was looking at audiofrog GB60 but I couldn't find official offaxis response curve. Does audiofrog only measure on axis response?

·
Registered
302 Posts
You also didn't see a need for signal delay in a car, so....

I don't see time alignment as a deal breaker with all the reflections in a automobile environment. I don't see someone covering there interior with acoustic paneling and removing there trim and blocking out there windows to alleviate the issue anytime soon. Car audio is a never ending battle!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I don't see time alignment as a deal breaker with all the reflections in a automobile environment. I don't see someone covering there interior with acoustic paneling and removing there trim and blocking out there windows to alleviate the issue anytime soon. Car audio is a never ending battle!
Expect Time Alignment has nothing to do with reflections.....so there is that. You could make the argument that EQ can't fix all the reflections, but time alignment works with or without reflections.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The first time I used time alignment was with an AudioControl DQ61 and once I got it dialed in I was like “holly shit this is awesome” and that was with a passive 2-way so....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts