DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Yeah,
It's just the extra stuff that's all, the bigger picture, maybe I don't look at what I will be hearing, I just look at the extra things, including a stand alone processor, the laptop hook up.
Maybe that is why I don't use a stand alone processor, what would be the point of having one other than having a 3 way front to have more fun, but so far what I hear it's decent.

It would be nice if they made a 2.5-3" 2 way point source driver with a tiny tweeters placed in the middle. But either they are not practical, deliver better performance or the whole point is to show off extra cones on the dash and pillars to psychologically impress people.
Stand alone processors or any robust processor is extremely valuable in a 2-way front stage also. Again, probably even more needed because of the difficulty of tuning. Otherwise, your system will never sound as good as it could.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Stand alone processors or any robust processor is extremely valuable in a 2-way front stage also. Again, probably even more needed because of the difficulty of tuning. Otherwise, your system will never sound as good as it could.
yup. i also do not get the basis that you dont need something "as good" when doing a 2 way vs a 3 way. It is NOT correlated. Its almost like most of the guys left on this forum and say stuff like this have read every forum thread on here, took some info from some threads and left info from others, then make up their own opinions on various subjects without ever actually doing this stuff? Believe it or not, the guys who do this stuff for a living might know a thing or two regardless if you think theyre trying to bend you over or not.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have never done a 3 way, ben using a 2 way front for 7 years.

I will agree on a 6.5 or 6x9 low in the door being a PITA to tune, especially if you have a full on center console like in my F150. I don't cross higher than 1500hz to avoid beaming issues and I HAVE to run a wideband that can play low enough.

It is especially difficult getting the left side and right side matched in the 80-250 range. The left side always wants to be "bass-ier" even when the actual level is matched.

This F150 took at least 3 complete restarts to get right LOL. I kept ending up over EQ'ing and sucking the life out of it.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I won't step to a separate DSP unless I go 3 way, and a front sub, he he.

Just the headache of matching voltages between DSP and HU then DSP to amps, and just having a DDM to set the amp gains assuming the voltages were good.

3 way or wide band for me, and if it's easier to tune a 3 way, then I'm glad I learned my way the to tune with a 2 way cause the 3 way might almost plug and play.

Center channel Dolby pro logic may be even easier, like some new cars with premium sound packages, only set the tonality and done.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
I won't step to a separate DSP unless I go 3 way, and a front sub, he he.

Just the headache of matching voltages between DSP and HU then DSP to amps, and just having a DDM to set the amp gains assuming the voltages were good.

3 way or wide band for me, and if it's easier to tune a 3 way, then I'm glad I learned my way the to tune with a 2 way cause the 3 way might almost plug and play.

Center channel Dolby pro logic may be even easier, like some new cars with premium sound packages, only set the tonality and done.
you are way over thinking it lol

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
One of the best things about a DSP, in my experience, is the opportunity to play around with your settings easily. Experiment with your drivers. Your data (mfg graphs and t/s specs) will only tell you so much. As you play with different crossover points and slopes, asymmetrical crossover slopes, t/a, etc and see how it interacts with your interior, you'll start to figure out what the overall system "likes" the best.

This leads you down the path to getting the most out of your driver selection, whether 2-way or 3-way. With 2-ways this is even more important because you're asking for more out of both of the two drivers and you're going to experience more cabin interference unless it's a 2-way kick panel install.

It seems like it'd be way harder to get a good outcome without a DSP and much more frustrating to tune.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Great to hear more opinions, thanks, 👍🏻 maybe I need to practice on line for a few of the DSP s available.

Any suggestions of some on line preview or actual software hands on simulation action?

·
Registered
17,645 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I currently have an Audiofrog GB 3 way setup in my car and really love it, nothing to complain. But, I always wondered how a 2 way with high end large format tweeters would compare. I would still use the GB60 as midbass drivers. With the 2 way, I could use the 2 extra channels to experiment with rear fill.

Any real world experience on this subject? It’s still lot of work and money just to try it so any info appreciated!

There are beautiful Satoris in sale right now on the classifieds...
OP, could you do this? Sure you can. But why would you want to? If your setup sounds great, why change it? If you are attempting to free up amp channels (which is how it sounds to me), why not just buy an amp with more channels, or another one all together? If it's a money thing, I get it. But you'll be spending either way. Additional amp channels, or rear speakers, labor hours, etc...all cost something. Does your 3 -way run the GB10 or 15?

IMO the easiest way forward is just to experiment. Disconnect the 25's and try tuning it as a 2-way. If you can get it close to how it sounded before (enough to be happy) then you've answered for yourself whether or not it can be done like you're asking.

The difference in tuning 2-way versus 3-way? One more speaker per side. LOL! Tuning is tuning. It's the same whether you have 2-3-or 20 speakers. The time it takes to achieve the desired goal is the only real difference. There is a reason it's referred to as an audio "system." The components you select either work together to produce the SQ you want, or they don't. And how easily the tuning is of the selected components really boils down to skill level of the tuner, nothing more. Since happiness with the final product is subjective, it's your call to make.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I currently have an Audiofrog GB 3 way setup in my car and really love it, nothing to complain. But, I always wondered how a 2 way with high end large format tweeters would compare. I would still use the GB60 as midbass drivers. With the 2 way, I could use the 2 extra channels to experiment with rear fill.

Any real world experience on this subject? It’s still lot of work and money just to try it so any info appreciated!

There are beautiful Satoris in sale right now on the classifieds...

And back to the topic, it's a matter of your taste and goals.

A 2 way system, can be pushed to its limits easier, since 2 drivers are playing frequencies that at high output levels will show weakness.

The components location plays a roll depending on your goal.

The common logic is, we want higher frequencies played at higher locations, if not they will loose transparency or be blocked.

You can have the ideal perfect scenario of components location for a 2 way system, and the 3 way system will still be more flexible for the best performance or sound even being marginal in some cases.

The tuner's skills are more important, a 2 way well tuned can definitely will sound better than a 3 way system.

You are the only judge, money can buy better, but in the car environment scenario, seating position etc, it's a different new world order.

At some point, we need to improve our listening skills, what to look for etc, sometimes an experienced listener, someone that competes or competed, should listen to your system, you should listen to theirs, and sometimes you need to draw or own conclusions or go deeper down the rabbit hole to get what is needed to achieve your target or decide if that is even the goal you want.
Sometimes it will not be, you may listen to an 82.6 score top podium vehicle with your own music, being a good recording and you will be disappointed. That is how it works, it may take time to know what to look for or even appreciate it.

Another logical conclusion.
SQ is about the stage size, position, height etc. 2 smaller drivers above the dash brings the best full potential of these aspects of the stage.

You mentioned rear fill, that throws off any 2 or 3 way system off, distracting the best potential for a better front stage, rear fill for ambience and tuned down for a better front stage experience is another deeper rabbit hole demanding a more powerful sound processor and making the tuning even more complex.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
OP, could you do this? Sure you can. But why would you want to? If your setup sounds great, why change it? If you are attempting to free up amp channels (which is how it sounds to me), why not just buy an amp with more channels, or another one all together? If it's a money thing, I get it. But you'll be spending either way. Additional amp channels, or rear speakers, labor hours, etc...all cost something. Does your 3 -way run the GB10 or 15?

IMO the easiest way forward is just to experiment. Disconnect the 25's and try tuning it as a 2-way. If you can get it close to how it sounded before (enough to be happy) then you've answered for yourself whether or not it can be done like you're asking.

The difference in tuning 2-way versus 3-way? One more speaker per side. LOL! Tuning is tuning. It's the same whether you have 2-3-or 20 speakers. The time it takes to achieve the desired goal is the only real difference. There is a reason it's referred to as an audio "system." The components you select either work together to produce the SQ you want, or they don't. And how easily the tuning is of the selected components really boils down to skill level of the tuner, nothing more. Since happiness with the final product is subjective, it's your call to make.
Sorry for late reply,

Well, why change my setup? For me, half of the fun is enjoying the music, the other half is trying new things with my sound system. In the past, I tried things without asking here and end up loosing time. You know, as a newbie in this hobby, I lack knowledge and experience to have a good judgment or instinct so I better ask or search here when not sure.

Concerning the tuning of a 3 way vs 2 way, I can tell you that it wasn't so hard to get my 3 way sounding very great with the help of tuning guides I found here.

Anyway, thank you guys to take time to explain the probably obvious for you!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts