DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

4 13TW5's or 4 RE SL12's??

11K views 50 replies 15 participants last post by  kelrog 
#1 ·
I got an '07 Crew Cab Silverado Classic.

I run all Zapco C2K Amps, so the Designated Sub Amp will be a 6.0, so the 4 12's will see roughly 300wrms each and the 4 13.5's will see just under 300wrms each (because JL has to be different and use 3ohm Coils.)

I like my Music LOUD and to be able to play the Low, Gut Wrenching, Door Flexing Bass. I know this is a damn near impossible thing to achieve with a Flat Sub (or so I think), but it's all I got to work with due to the Limited Mounting Depth.

Going by Overall Size, Box Requirements, and avail. Power, it looks like to me the RE's would be the better Speaker to go with, and Price, I can get 2 RE's for almost what 1 JL Costs. But I wanna know what you Guys think.

Last Year I went and Demo'd all the Flat Subs that were out at the Time and they all Sounded like they were Blown. They Sounded like absolute ASS. Then I heard 1 13TW5 in an '08 Silverado Crew Cab, under the Rear Seat, facing Up. It Sounded REALLY nice. So I know what that Sub Sounds like.

I don't wanna get the RE's and them Sound like all the OTHER Flat Subs I Heard, BLOWN.

So what do ya'll think? :confused: :D

See less See more
#5 ·
Buying the cheaper unheard option just because it is cheaper option is kinda dumb to me....Having to rebuy everything cause you are dissappointed with your outcome costs you twice as much...Still have to buy the other option you wanted to start with...Try and listen to both yourself Don't go buy what some people on here say... Everything in the Car Audio world is very Subjective and application dependant...But word on the street is those TW5's are HARD to beat in underseat enclosures...LOL...

#6 ·
Yea, but the thing is, I don't have any Local RE Dealers out here by me. So it would just be by Hearing other peoples Opinions on them, or watching them in Vids on YouTube which doesn't really do anything.

And if they do infact Sound just as good as the JL's or even better and I never know that, I'd be pissed knowing that I coulda saved a couple $100 Dollars.

The only way to do it would be Buy 1 of each and Model them in the Truck, OR if someone here has Heard both, give me their Honest Opinion.

#8 ·
What would you rather have? A sub moving as much as it can to make good bass or one not working as hard? There's a reason most of the old school low Xmax subs sound better than a lot of the new "look how far it moves" subs. Sure they're expensive, but they're very, very good.

#9 ·
we are talking 16mm for the re nothing like 30mm, the jl has like 9mm with about 640cm of cone area and the re has something like 460cm, I dont think 16mm is alot, 9mm is alittle there are midbass that has that xmax and can still retain control, its all about design, now if the re retains control of the cone I dont know since I havent heard or played with one

Like i said I dont doubt that they are good but not worth that much IMO

#10 ·
16mm doesn't SEEM like a lot but it's all relative. Look at the old school monsters. I don't remember ANY having more than 10mm until the Strokers came out.

Have you at least HEARD the TW5? If not, then "IMO" doesn't really amount to much does it? Not trying to be an ass but commenting on product you haven't owned or used is kinda silly.

#11 ·
I am commenting on displacement, I never said anything about tonality of the speakers, so please dont give any of that silly crap, Yes I have heard one at my local dealer but thats it, and that isnt relavent to what I was saying about displacement

Your doing the same thing you said "is silly" have you owned or used a RE SL sub????????? How do you know your JL sounds better if you havent heard the RE huh?

#12 ·
I understand you're talking about displacement. But is a lot of displacement from a sub that doesn't sound good worth anything? I'm not saying that the RE doesn't sound good, I'm just saying it's an incomplete argument at best, that's all.

Yes, I owned a XXX. It was a nice sub. It was also expensive as hell and impractical in most cars because it's HUGE.

But my argument wasn't even about which sounded better, only that your argument is flawed.

#13 ·
How is it flawed when we are talking about displacement? he doesnt want a sub that sounds blown, does that mean he wants sq? This is in the SPL section and in the OP's original post "LOUD" is there in capitals.

And "SQ" is in the ear of the beholder. I personally think that all JL subs sound bloated and fat, not real transparent and natural, other disagree but I dont care because SQ to me is what sounds good to me not others

#15 ·
hehe, i love when subwoofer talks turn technical. I'm a techie myself but sometimes just need to step back and say to myself "It just matters what it sounds like to me at the end of the day".

Go with what you can hear, or just make the leap based on a couple of people's opinions and hope that you don't have to change later!

#17 ·
Well I now have two TW5's under the rear seat of my 08 Silverado Crew Cab with a JL HD 750/1 on them and could not be happier...I need to beef upy charging system it goes below 9 volts now.
I switched from what most people said were the next best thing the Memphis SClass 12's and the TW5's are better but alot more money too. Don't get me wrong the SClass are nice and if your looking to save some money that would be an option. They handle 500 watts easy I had a PDX 1000.1 on them, they do not sound blown, play the low bass you can feel, and if you put 4 of them in should get plenty loud. Just my .02 cents give them a listen if your looking for a cheaper option easier to find Memphis Dealer than RE!

#22 ·
For my personal knowledge, among others, I suggest that you get the RE's and write a review :D. But, of course, for what would be better for YOU, I can't offer much. It seems that wait until you can find a relevant review on the RE's by someone else or wait until you get the opportunity for a listening demo, carefully evaluate your constraints (physically, electrically, and economically), or go out on a whim.

#28 ·
I have not spent the time to read through the entire thread, but just chiming in on from the thread title.

I've heard both, and you're definitely wasting money on the JL between these two.

They are by far two of the best 'flat' subwoofers on the market and I've heard and installed quite a few (rockford, excelon, kicker, memphis, etc). And then you consider price, it's a no brainer between RE and JL. Think of the SL as the SE series, just less power handling and a lot thinner!

I'll probably add after I get home to read all this mess.

#35 ·
Last Year I went and Demo'd all the Flat Subs that were out at the Time and they all Sounded like they were Blown. They Sounded like absolute ASS. Then I heard 1 13TW5 in an '08 Silverado Crew Cab, under the Rear Seat, facing Up. It Sounded REALLY nice. So I know what that Sub Sounds like.

I don't wanna get the RE's and them Sound like all the OTHER Flat Subs I Heard, BLOWN.

So what do ya'll think? :confused: :D
Finally got to read this. Is price a super concern to you? If you like the JL and can afford, get it--since you already like it. Although the RE is better to my ear, it may not to you. Not sure if you like that smooth low bottom-end kind of woofer the SL is over the JL.

#39 ·
Well, I think I'm gonna have to get one of these SL's now to try it out. Because if you're saying that the Low End is better on the RE's than the JL's, that's something I GOTTA hear, because I was Blown Away with how low the TW5 that I Heard could Play.

#43 ·
ive got 2 13TW5's in my harley truck under the back seats. i really like them. a little pricey...but IMO they sounded a ton better than the other shallow subs on the market. but my ear is my ear and yours is yours... i havent heard the re's...
only able to give about .8 ft/each but they seem to be still achieve the lower notes well.
wish i could squeeze 2 more somewhere else in the truck....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.