DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally putting a system in my truck, and I would like some opinions on a couple things I am still tossed up on. First I'll let you know what I am looking for. I want loud and clear. I don't need concert loud, but I do like my music loud sometimes. As far as the sq, I don't plan on being the next Richard Clark - I want my system to be able to reproduce music detail accurately, and I don't want to get ear fatigue when I'm on a long trip.

I already have a set of Polk Dxi 6.5" coax for the rear doors (just to be nice to anyone who sits back there), and I need help deciding what to do for the front. The two sets I'm looking at are the Polk MM6501's and the MA CK6V's. I had heard the Polk MM's, and I really like how they sound. I have not heard the ck6's, but the reviews of the ck's have been pretty amazing. I can get either set for the same price so that makes it that much harder to choose. To sum what i like about the two sets - Polk MM's sound good, have a 94 db sensitivity, and are 2.7 ohm. The ck6's have great reviews, the version V seems to have corrected the harsh tweeters (so I've read), and they can take tons of power. So what are your thoughts on these two sets?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now on to the 4 channel amp. I already ordered a powerbass xax-4160fd (4x100w @ 4 ohm) for $181. I think this amp would be great matched with the 2.7 ohm Polk's since the power would be more than the 100 watts. The amp has not shipped yet, and I am thinking about changing to a massive d 800.4 (4x120 @ 4 ohm) for $30 more that the powerbass. I think this could be a better choice if I go with the ck6's. Any thoughts? Also, I am going to be using the passive x-overs, so multi mapping the components is not an option.

The reason I am looking at the above products is because they seem to fit my desires and (perhaps more importantly) my budget. I also have a space issue in the cab of my truck - I want to keep as much space as possible.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
It's tough to wait 4 hours isn't it.

I really like the Polk for the money. But, you can't expect wondrous results with most any speaker without doing a good job on the install.

I would stay with the amp you already have on the way. But what is your budget for all this stuff? And are you remembering to afford wiring, sound deadening, baffle materials, misc.?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's tough to wait 4 hours isn't it.

I really like the Polk for the money. But, you can't expect wondrous results with most any speaker without doing a good job on the install.

I would stay with the amp you already have on the way. But what is your budget for all this stuff? And are you remembering to afford wiring, sound deadening, baffle materials, misc.?
I've got almost everything on the way - they only thing I need to buy now is the front speakers. Yes I got good wire, sound deadening, and everything taken care of. The speakers will be mounted with a baffle since the stock door location is 6x9.

Also, it seems I can get the ck6's for $140 shipped. I have also found another contender - ID cxs62's for $209 shipped. It seems like the id's might be a better choice for a couple reasons - they are a good speaker with a Freq response down to 900 from the tweeter, and the are 2 Ohm.

Considering my original budget of $200, $9 extra isn't much more. And to be honest, $69 more than the ck6's isn't bad if the id's are that much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts