DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all over the forum looking for a decent 4 channel amp to purchase for less than 300. New or old school, either is fine. Zed built is preferable. I have not located any newschool amps within my budget except for cadence, but they are out of stock at the moment on the amp I want.

I almost got 2 zed built us acoustics amps, and a boss audio amp, but got to them too late.

I am looking for at least 75x4 at 4 ohm. This is going to power to seas lotus tweets and 2 id oem mids active.

Any suggestions appreciated!

·
Vendor
1,814 Posts
My authorized repair center is having a sale on refurbished SAX-100.4s complete with one year warranty. The crossovers should do what you need to run active:

# Selectable HP / LP / FULL crossover
# CH 1 & 2 Variable HP crossover 50 - 5000 Hz @ 12 dB
# CH 1 & 2 Variable LP crossover 50 - 500 Hz @ 12 dB
# CH 3 & 4 Variable HP crossover 50 - 500 Hz @ 12 dB
# CH 3 & 4 Variable LP crossover 50 - 5000 Hz @ 12 dB
# 10 Hz - 500 Hz variable subsonic filter (CH 1&2 and CH 3&4)
# Subsonic filter allows for band-passed crossover configuration

http://www.db-r.com/sell/store/index.php?productID=194

$275 shipped for the new heat-sink style, which also comes with upgraded power supply vs. older versions.

------

Other than that I would suggest a Diamond D7 as they have wonderful crossovers as well. I had the Esoteric Audio version years ago and I really enjoyed the functionality.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Keep your eye out for the older Sony ES 7547.
I've seen them go for well under $200.
A bargain.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've got an RF 400.4 for sale that actually puts 70W x4. LMK if you're interested.

Just curious. What seas tweet are you using? I was looking to go in a similar direction with a 2-way active setup with the OEM mids.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got an RF 400.4 for sale that actually puts 70W x4. LMK if you're interested.

Just curious. What seas tweet are you using? I was looking to go in a similar direction with a 2-way active setup with the OEM mids.
Im using the metal dome 1" tweets. Ive read that these tweets are bright but not offensive. I figured they were cheap enough, that if I dont liek them I can choose something else.

Also, the "save up and buy what you want" I posted this thread because I dont know exactly, what I want. I'm using this thread to narrow it down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My authorized repair center is having a sale on refurbished SAX-100.4s complete with one year warranty. The crossovers should do what you need to run active:

# Selectable HP / LP / FULL crossover
# CH 1 & 2 Variable HP crossover 50 - 5000 Hz @ 12 dB
# CH 1 & 2 Variable LP crossover 50 - 500 Hz @ 12 dB
# CH 3 & 4 Variable HP crossover 50 - 500 Hz @ 12 dB
# CH 3 & 4 Variable LP crossover 50 - 5000 Hz @ 12 dB
# 10 Hz - 500 Hz variable subsonic filter (CH 1&2 and CH 3&4)
# Subsonic filter allows for band-passed crossover configuration

http://www.db-r.com/sell/store/index.php?productID=194

$275 shipped for the new heat-sink style, which also comes with upgraded power supply vs. older versions.

------

Other than that I would suggest a Diamond D7 as they have wonderful crossovers as well. I had the Esoteric Audio version years ago and I really enjoyed the functionality.
YOur amp is on my list, but having a crossover on the amp is not a requirement. I am planning on using an audio control dqx or dqxs. So amps just need to supply clean power.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Shoot man, If it's in your budget I'd do the Sundown just for the sound and build quality alone.. You might have a great time dialing in the audiocontrol filters, running the amp flat, then A/B comparing the sound quality with amp crossovers at same settings instead to see which is better.. That would be an interesting comparison. :) Also by avoiding an extra digital conversion and just keeping analog gear infront if possible, you'd also fair better I'll bet. a thought :)

If I didn't just go on double super secret spending freeze, I'd be all over the refurb deal.

... That's the badness!

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
what am I allowed to suggest? I'm going to say PDX 4.100 cuz that's what everyone uses and I don't want to get in trouble.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
To the OP, the refurb deal on the Sundown amps would be my choice. Jacob is a great guy and his amps are rock solid. My second choice would be one of the ICE Power amps from either Pioneer Premier or Eclipse that are all over Ebay. 3rd choice would be a Zed built U.S. Acoustics 4 channel. The USX4080 would work for you and those can be found on Ebay pretty easily. I still think that you should consider the Sundown though. Just my .02

Zach

·
Vendor
1,814 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After comparing the specs of the sundown amps with the speakers and sub I plan on using, I think sundown is going to be my choice. a 100.4 and eventually the 1000D.

debate: should I pay for this amp tonight, or wait until I get paid again...decisions decisions.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
retail on that amp is $500? why, the alpine name?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9219_Alpine+PDX-4.100.html
this is a link for $330 and you can get them cheaper. In all honesty it would take an act of torture to get me to use one. I was being the smartass that DIYMA needs right now. You see, DIYMA can be a little provincial at times. By me asking "what am I allowed to suggest?" it was me bucking the system that constantly perpetuates itself. Since I have a relatively recent join date, I have to ask permission to post in the audio section ;) (smileys make it better, though)
It is a little more expensive because yes the alpine name, it's class D so it's smaller and more efficient, it has the ability to maintain the same output at varying impedences.....and it's cute.
If you REALLY want a great deal on quality gear, look in the for sale section. There are good people there with good equipment.
I have a JL 6 channel that would fit your needs. Jl E6450 (I might as well get the cheap plug in) and I'll throw in the bass knob (ooo's and ahhhh's)
Alot of people here like the PDX, having heard them, I'm not one of them. Please don't take my sarcasm for anything other than a little manginitis. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sundownz,
What is the deal with the website you recommended to me? Their payment system claims to be paypal but it is not secure. It also does not use the official paypal security certificate.

·
Vendor
1,814 Posts
Sundownz,
What is the deal with the website you recommended to me? Their payment system claims to be paypal but it is not secure. It also does not use the official paypal security certificate.
They are my official repair center and sell ALL refurbished Sundown amplifiers.

Looks to me like it is secure once you hit the Paypal site and my information shows that the security is 168-bit and has the Paypal certificate.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i ended up buying the refurbished 100.4 with the new heat sink last night. I read reviews on their customer service and decided to give it a shot. Should have it in a couple of days. Next Up, deadener

1 - 20 of 26 Posts