DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you have a four equal power per channel amp with two symmetrical power supplies, would you put the tweeters together on one power supply or would you stagger them one tweeter and one woofer per power supply? Logic would dictate that staggering them would possibly help channel separation, although it might not be enough to be audible. Wouldn't this also be better for the amp to have an equal load on both power supplies? Wouldn't it help with transient power spikes also? Hmm... :confused:

The effect would probably be minimal, but I'll still probably try it anyway. We'll see if I can notice any differences.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
When I ran a 4 channel amp in my last system, I ran both the tweeters on the front channels, and both mids on the rear channels. I never really gave it much thought, but honestly I can't see it making any audible difference.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The one area where I think it might be beneficial would be with transients. The tweeter channels would never come close to taxing the power supply, but if you had some beefy woofers, they could suck a lot of juice. I would think halving that load by pairing a tweeter and woofer on one supply would help. I think this would be even more pronounced if the tweeters were 8 ohm and the woofers 4 ohm for instance.

Anyway, discuss...

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I think your logic is correct.

Will it yield an audible difference? Meh, probably not. Channel separation issues are usually greatest at the source, although equalizing the load on each PS could be beneficial. At least for longevity purposes, if not sonically.

·
18,699 Posts
the one issue I see is when operating gains. Your mids may be able to handle more juice than your tweeters or you just may want to feed them more. If you're sharing a gain for this, then you'll have troubles unless you have some sort of DSP attenuation or throw an l-pad in.

I’ve done both. Luckily the DSP’s I’ve used have been able to attenuate the tweeters down enough to where it’s not an issue.

It is a novel idea to run separate amps for left/right, which is what I plan on doing, though I’m not sure it’s really going to matter at the end of the day.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
That's a good point about the gain, unless the amp has front/rear and right/left gain controls although I rarely see that.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
That's a good point about the gain, unless the amp has front/rear and right/left gain controls although I rarely see that.
Like Bikin said the gain issue. I had thought of using 2 Audison SRx3(3 channel) one per side, but came across the same issue with the gains. Can anyone name some amps that have independent gains? The ones that come up off the top of my head are Arc & Lunar.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
I've run sub and tweets off of a 4-channel with common ps. I'm sure that had something to do with the 200 watts rated out of the bridged rear channels of a 4-channel crossfire blowing away a bridged memphis mc300 rated for 460. Or maybe the Crossfire was just a more solid amp. Either way I'm never running Memphis amps again.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Either way I'm never running Memphis amps again.
You and me both! I had nothing but fits with Memphis in 2007.

As for Mooble's issue, I don't see any benefit to running one mid and one tweeter per power supply. Assuming he is talking about doing this with his TRU amplifier, I am almost certain that each input has its own gain control. Then again, I could be wrong about the gain control issue.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
What are you guys using for processors? Most processing will have its own level control.
Ahh, so true. My Coustic XM6 has individual level controls and I think the Alpine CDA-9887 that I just ordered should have individual level controls.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
What are you guys using for processors? Most processing will have its own level control.
I just got the DRZ9255 installed yesterday, but I don't think it has individual left/right gains.

But I guess that's where time alignment comes into play.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I just got the DRZ9255 installed yesterday, but I don't think it has individual left/right gains.

But I guess that's where time alignment comes into play.
Well, level adjustment and t/a are two different things. You can't make up for level issues with t/a.

·
Registered
364 Posts
unless your headunit has individual driver level adjustments, like mine does...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the Tru has 4 independent gain pots so that would not be an issue. I'll give it a whirl. I may not notice any sonic differences, but longevity should be improved. There's no real downside.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
The gains could be used for fine tuning the tweeters , if you believe in what some old people have said about amplitude being more important with certain frequencies [ most just use time alignment on their tweeters ].

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
The gains could be used for fine tuning the tweeters , if you believe in what some old people have said about amplitude being more important with certain frequencies [ most just use time alignment on their tweeters ].
I always thought time alignment on the tweeters netted the least benefit?

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
Hey, at the very least, evening out the load may keep heat production consistant across the heatsink.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
You and me both! I had nothing but fits with Memphis in 2007.

As for Mooble's issue, I don't see any benefit to running one mid and one tweeter per power supply. Assuming he is talking about doing this with his TRU amplifier, I am almost certain that each input has its own gain control. Then again, I could be wrong about the gain control issue.
I never had reliability issues. They were all extremely solid. My issue was they just didn't have any gonads.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.