DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a 4" coax such as the a/d/s/ 334im, Morel, Macrom/Xtant or possibly a widebander in the sub-$200 range

I am interested in using a 4" coax in a 3-way setup or possibly trying a wideband driver (Vifa/Fountek/Tang Band - never tried wideband before). I have always been a fan of large format tweeters or horns and would like to get a larger driver on the dash in custom pods on-axis but am cosmetically/creatively limited to about a 4" driver in my 2011 Honda Fit. They will be paired with 6-7" door mounted midbasses and I am using an Imprint for tuning. Open to suggestions so show me what you've got.

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: WTB: 4" Coax or possibly wide band

Nobody?

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts

What frequency range do you expect them to play and what drivers are you matching them with?

·
Banned
2,535 Posts

INTEGRA OVATION XO

are freakin' sweet sounding....

here is a link Morel Loudspeakers - Mobile Audio - Point Source Speakers - Integra Ovation XO

Once again, Morel introduces a new concept in car audio with the new point source Integra Ovation XO. Integra integrates tweeter and woofer into one compact and powerful point source speaker - expertly engineered for car installations that cannot accommodate component systems. The Integra Ovation XO is the audiophile's ultimate solution, offering superb soundstage, image and musicality. The Integra Ovation XO offers hours of listening pleasure for ardent music lovers.

The Integra Ovation XO is designed to provide installers with optimal flexibility using separate input tags for the woofer and tweeter, together with an external crossover network. By allowing installers to attenuate tweeter levels by ±3db, the new external crossover improves the speaker's performance in off-axis installations and solves some of the reflective surface problems.

Integra Ovation XO utilizes the neodymium magnet motor drive system to achieve reduced mounting depth and increased loudspeaker sensitivity. The large-diameter 54mm (2.1") EVC aluminum Hexatech voice coil increases power handling and transient response.

The Acuflex-coated soft dome tweeter delivers the warm, crystal-clear sound Morel is known for. The tweeter is acoustically integrated with the woofer motor drive system, constructed to allow perfect integration and phase linearity with the woofer. This construction ensures a smooth and linear frequency response resulting in a unique point-source speaker.

The aerodynamic design of the Uniflow aluminum die-cast chassis minimizes sound reflection distortion and increases overall speaker performance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What frequency range do you expect them to play and what drivers are you matching them with?
Good question that I probably should have answered. Anyways, I actually have several different driver choices in the closet, but probably leaning towards a pair of a/d/s/ 336's or some of the various Vifa 6-7" drivers that I have and looking to cross the 4's around 1-2k or lower depending. It's kind of too early in the project to have any constraints other than diameter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

DAT, those Morels are intriguing, but a little spendy at this time unless someone wants to sacrifice a lightly used pair for a decent price :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I will be using the Imprint PXE-H660 assuming it works as well as I am hoping. Alpine isn't real open about it's capabilities so I am taking a gamble and giving it a try. I also have a Rockford 360.2 in the closet. I also have 6 channels, so I can run 3-way active.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
One of those should work, I have no experience to help, but I'm sure there are reviews and build logs with the info.

While I have read about people building active setups in cars using midbass crossover points over 300Hz, I don't see many people doing it and have heard that it can be a difficult task for tuning. Especially since you are limited to the dash (which fires straight at the windshield, correct?).

Have you considered a more standard 3-way; like 300Hz-4000Hz-up?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of those should work, I have no experience to help, but I'm sure there are reviews and build logs with the info.

While I have read about people building active setups in cars using crossover points over 300Hz, I don't see many people doing it and have heard that it can be a difficult task for tuning. Especially since you are limited to the dash (which fires straight at the windshield, correct?).

Have you considered a more standard 3-way; like 300Hz-4000Hz-up?
I am actually making pods so that the dash mounted drivers will be on axis in my Honda Fit. And as far a x-over points, I was just guessing based on the possibility of using a wideband driver. I would prefer to have them crossed as low as possible.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel like I have been reading for 24 hours straight and am really interested in the fullrange idea. Specifically the TB W3-1364SA and the Fountek FR89EX. I realize these have both been discussed to death, but any input or other suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Given the fact that you are coming from large format tweets and horns.....I say buy a used set or borrow a set of the TB or Fountek drivers and see how you like it. I would say only your ears can offer anyting of substance to you at this point in regards to going fullrange....that is the best input that anyone can give you given your background.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Like these guys r saying, give it a try. I would recommend if you try a wideband eq'ing the top and going tweeterless to start. Keeping it as simple as possible is usually better. As far as low end x/o, ive crossed my fr88's at as low as 200 and high as 400 and midbass blends best around 300. Crossing your midbass higher will ruin your image as you will be getting vocals playing through the doors. The point of the widebanders is to keep most of the locateable information in front of you on the dash. I found deep surplus has some m&k/vifa 3.5" midranges that plays real well up high too. They are like 9 bucks each and are a cheap way to give it a shot. I used them before my fr88's crossed 250 and up and they were real smooth for the $.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have narrowed down my choices (in order of preference - I think) to Fountek FR89, H-Audio AP3/Trinity or possibly the XR3M or BeM3. Too many great possibilities too little cash and no way to hear any of them. I guess it's as good a time as any to start gambling... too bad I can't find anything but Founteks for sale.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a spare fr88 I could send you for shipping cost. It has a slight tear in the cone, honestly I can't hear the difference. But at least that could give you an idea about the fr89's. They r quite similar.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might have to take that FR88 off your hands. Expect a PM sir.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
I wouldn't do the XR's in axis, but 30deg off would be great. The FR/Trinity will work without a tweeter as will a TB Bamboo. The Trinity will give you a better midrange response while the Bamboo will give you a lower xover point, like the 280hz range. They are both very good speakers, but the best bang for your buck that is easily and readily available at a low cost is the Fountek FR88 or FR89, they are both on eBay for $75 pair and will give you a great start.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a pair of german made mb quart 4 coaxs if youre interested.
Really leaning towards the H-Audio stuff at this point, but the wait is gonna be painful. PM me with pics/specs and prices. Options FTW.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts