DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got this super installer who's gotta know his stuff recommending this guy on the titan forum that sealed up under his front seat boxes are gonna be sweet coupled with his ported boxes under the rear seats. I think it's gonna be stupid really personally and gave them my take and he still wants to argue his point on how it'll bring the bass up front and how he's trained sq judges and whatnot, kinda funny really... from what I've seen he is an ok installer but it does bother me that he seems to think it's a GREAT idea to mix 4 or 6 10"s but not ok to mix different sized subs LOL. I don't agree with mixing subs of any size or power in different boxes or common chamber sealed box. still gonna get cancellation as well as other problems... sounds straight up stupid. I recommended if he HAS to run 6 10"s to do it on a level field, same box or boxes and all in one location on the same plane is what sounds best to me. just asking for time alignment problems/phasing problems to me. I dunno, I'm no genius, but I was always taught not to do specifically what he's asking. I'd rather do a 6th or higher order bandpass if I wanted a wider bandwidth or higher end subs if I wanted more output.. a bunch of 10"s that'll see 250wrms each and seperately powered even with a stagger in power just plain sounds stupid to me.. here's the thread if anyone who's in the "know" wants to check it out. apparently he's a former judge and since everyone there thinks he's a god his word is absolute and un-objectable. I wasn't meaning just him or even him really much at all when I posted my reply, I just thought there was alot of stupidness in it generally.

six 10s - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum

he's also a supporting vendor/site sponsor on the titan forum which imo is kinda funny, I'm not sure if it's his regular practice but he did an install on a titan on that forum completely from his house which I thought was a little odd the guy even stayed with him at his house for the few days it took to complete. is that normal up there? I know guys down here live within a slight distance but I just thought that sounded a little unprofessional for a pre-madonna sounding guy. idunno, I'm not in the "know" apparently even tho I've been doing audio for years it makes no sense to me and I can't seem to wrap my head around. he's got me all confused I'm thinkin I may as well stop souping up my truck and just add a motorcycle motor by each tire to up the rwhp LOL

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
this rant is funny as ****....

on a serious note I have always heard that bass or low frequencies are omnidirectional so the actual location is really not important. Of everything you stated, this is the only item I am able to comment on....as i know nothing about 6th order bandpasses.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I'm just baffled by the installers recommendations.. he seems like a nice enough guy, but I just disagree STRONGLY about his advice on this...

·
Registered
997 Posts
got this super installer who's gotta know his stuff recommending this guy on the titan forum that sealed up under his front seat boxes are gonna be sweet coupled with his ported boxes under the rear seats. I think it's gonna be stupid really personally
I don't know if I'd use the term "stupid", but it's certainly something I wouldn't recommend.

Never understand the use of 10" drivers as subwoofers in cars anyway, except where it's simply not possible to use a 12" driver because of physical restrictions (e.g. box size, or mounting location will not accomodate a 12" driver). Usually the 12" version in the same model only costs slightly more, and will be capable of a lot more output, and likely less distortion as well. Yes, you can use the 10" driver in a vented box to increase output, but a sealed box for a 12" driver would likely take up a similar amount of space, will most likely sound better, and will have better power handling below Fb.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I don't know if I'd use the term "stupid", but it's certainly something I wouldn't recommend.

Never understand the use of 10" drivers as subwoofers in cars anyway, except where it's simply not possible to use a 12" driver because of physical restrictions (e.g. box size, or mounting location will not accomodate a 12" driver). Usually the 12" version in the same model only costs slightly more, and will be capable of a lot more output, and likely less distortion as well. Yes, you can use the 10" driver in a vented box to increase output, but a sealed box for a 12" driver would likely take up a similar amount of space, will most likely sound better, and will have better power handling below Fb.
I do not disagree with what you say, but I was more or less forced to a 10 in my truck. While I woudl probably like a 12 more...the 10 sounds awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts