DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an to power my system, 2 x 100 for comps and 400 X 1 bridged for a subwoofers. I would like it to be under say $400, i was looking at the rockford fosgate's, mtx although i dont know about these, any other ideas or do you have anything for sale? thanks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you are willing to go used, the ppi pcx-4125 is very nice and way under your price cap. There have been a bunch on ebay for ~150 in the last few months.

Or you could look for one of the mb quart raa4200's, though not necessarily from that seller. Onlinecarstereo has them too... I've dealt with onlinecarstereo in the past, they were very good and gave me no hassles when returning an alpine amp that I destroyed with pure admitted user error (just made me pay shipping both ways to get a brand new amp).

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
There's also an mbquart 4x200 @ 4ohm on ebay... it's around $400 IIRC. That's a crazy price.

·
Registered
618 Posts
ikesound.com has the pcx-4125 refurbished for $239 btw. can't remember if they are good or bad sellers this week though...

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
gray bishop said:
could you let me know when (if you havent already gotten it) it arrives, I was looking to purchase it also
Gary, quite a few of us in SoCal already have them .. If you're around SoCal somewhere it shouldn't be too tough to find someone w/one :)

cam2Xrunner said:
Awesome, so it makes 500 watts @ 8 ohm too?
I think so, I read that somewhere .. would have to look it up to confirm.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
250 watts @4 ohm stereo ----> 500 watts @8 ohm bridged.

I'm really tempted to buy one... just afraid of it's massive size :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Heres a test on the RAA2400. Im thinking about getting 2 of the 4200's. I like the dual power supplies. And the price.

I haven't heard much, anything really about the MTX 7804. Jbl also makes one, PBX300.4?? ~125wattsx4 also has dual power supplies, haven't really found anything on it though.

Heres a pic of the 4250

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
just wondering if anyone has used the old M series amps, i know someone selling some for like $150 for an M44 and M100. they have a pretty rep reputation as old school amps, are they still good by todays standards ? M44 is 44/55w and M100 is 100/125w (12/14.4)

·
Registered
530 Posts
i loved my old pg ms 275 and m50,build q. was exc. never had a problem,to me one of the better sounding amps ive owned,better than most newer amps ive tried,the m series also uses the big toshiba bipolar transistors ,if they are working properly you should be happy with them provided you dont need many onboard amp features

·
Registered
655 Posts
there are some 4x100W headunits coming out based on the Tripath chip and they should be high-quality and cheap stuff. i think this is a sweet option for many people...

·
Registered
530 Posts
must say ,the brute power af the mb,s look tasty ,and with the praise might be the way to go if found within budget.

·
Registered
530 Posts
awsome, now other boards will have posts like --- i have a 400 watt deck, if i hook up 3-12in idmax subs in 2 ohm mono will it sound good!!! :eek:

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's quite a stretch .. HU's don't put out spec'd power .. and I have doubts as to it being 2ohm stable .. etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What's the point of having a 100 watt channel if your driving a single 6-8" driver which only can handle max 20-30 watts of power? I mean, sure for subs, fine... but if you're going active which most/many are, why waste so much energy? If one output transistor in the 247/246 sized case can put out 50watts or so, assuming the channel has 2 in parallel, so basically doubling the output transformers... what's the point? And don't say dynamic headroom, lol... Only thing I can think of is if you're doing passive and need to put that much power into the crossover to equalize...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts