DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Ram that I was trying to decide between building a set of pods for a Scanspeak 10F with Scan Beryllium tweeter, or installing the 10F in the factory corner dash location with the Scan tweeter in a aluminum pod mounted to the speaker grill above the midrange. The more I look at installs I would like to keep the speakers either hidden or looking as stock as possible.

I was also considering the 10f in the factory location and the Scan tweet in the sailpanel.

Aesthetically the sail panel would be ideal to keep things looking "stock". Does anyone see any blatant issues? Suggestions? How does the factory dash location work for a midrange location?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I'd look into the Audiofrog GS25, it will play up to 20k excellent for dash locations firing up to glass.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The dash locations in the 4th gen Ram work quite well for midrange duties when it comes to overall presentation. It's been confirmed that the 10f will drop into the dash location of the 4th gen Ram but make sure you have some kind of enclosure around the back of it so the sound coming from the back of the cone doesn't cause issues. I've heard neoprene works well. Will just have to experiment. For the tweets on axis in pods in dash corners over the grille works amazingly well. Ultimately you'd just have to try it both ways to see which you like best. I agree sails would look better and I'm also a big stickler for looking like nothing happened in the way of car audio. Tweets in dash corners are the one exception I'll make in that regard. For what it's worth I'm currently in my 3rd 4th gen Ram since it first came out in 09.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about the tweeter being on top of the grill potentially interfering with sound traveling from the 10F. Also, is there a tried and true method for doing time alignment when accounting for a speaker reflecting off the glass?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the 10F installed in factory dash location (2011 Ram 2500) and a Dyn t-380 in the sail panel on axis....I liked that set up a lot!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the 10F installed in factory dash location (2011 Ram 2500) and a Dyn t-380 in the sail panel on axis....I liked that set up a lot!
What kind of treatment did you do for the dash locations? I've read everything from "Pack it with foam" to "Make an Enclosure".

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about the tweeter being on top of the grill potentially interfering with sound traveling from the 10F. Also, is there a tried and true method for doing time alignment when accounting for a speaker reflecting off the glass?
TA the same way as you always would, measure from the center of the speaker (as close to the voicecoil as possible) to the listening positon. You can't do anything about the reflections, the reflected sound will arrive the same amount of time behind the direct signal regardless of your delay.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Just don't mount the tweeter directly over the hole in the grille and you should be fine. On the "enclosure" just make sure the sound coming from the back of the cone doesn't interfere with sound coming from the front of the cone. Packing with foam could work too. Don't see how packing an area with poly would do much good for rear wave separation but if it worked for them then good deal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just don't mount the tweeter directly over the hole in the grille and you should be fine. On the "enclosure" just make sure the sound coming from the back of the cone doesn't interfere with sound coming from the front of the cone. Packing with foam could work too. Don't see how packing an area with poly would do much good for rear wave separation but if it worked for them then good deal.
I'll try to mount the tweeter either as far back into the corner of the dash/windshield or I'll go to the sail panel.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have Esotar 430s in the dash with tweeters in the sails in my 2015 Ram and it sounds phenomenal. I still need to find someone to do some serious tuning because I keep thinking there is more I can get out of the system.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have Esotar 430s in the dash with tweeters in the sails in my 2015 Ram and it sounds phenomenal. I still need to find someone to do some serious tuning because I keep thinking there is more I can get out of the system.
Photos of install?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey guys, not a ram guy here but curious about this thread for my GMC... I mounted some GB15s in the dash locations and they sound good but am curious about the poly fill around the speakers... Is this the preferred technique? There is quite a bit of room back there would I just fill it all up? Sorry for the newbie question am still learning!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts