DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer to this already, but I want to be sure. I'm looking at some headunits that have 4V-6V preouts. I was thinking of using this with some old-school mid 90's Zed Hifonics amps that I have stashed away. Sounds like a good idea, right? No sense in letting these nice old amps go to waste.

Then I had this thought that maybe those old amps can't handle a hotter preout signal like that. So, I scrounged and found one of the owners (see attachment)

So, from that, it looks like the input range is 100mv-2.4V. So with that info, should I be looking at preamps that only have 2V outputs or will I be OK as long as I don't crank it all the way? I don't want to be extremely limited on my volume control.

I am not familiar enough with modern head units to know if they have internal controls to lower the output (channel trims?) or what. My last new headunit was back around 1997!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I ran series viii with a 9V line driver and never had a problem, lol. as long as you watch your volume level, dont think it would be a problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran series viii with a 9V line driver and never had a problem, lol. as long as you watch your volume level, dont think it would be a problem.
Yeah, but Series VIII have an input sensitivity range switch that lets them handle up to 9V of input on the high range. That's why you didn't have a problem. The American Warrior Series doesn't have that.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
ahhh. well, nevermind then :p it was 15 years ago

·
Registered
56 Posts
it will not be a problem. due to dynamic nature of music and varying recording levels on media, its not uncommon to see 2 - 3 times gain overlap. do not worry about it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Your 4v headunit will not be 4v at the end of the RCA. The only HUs I've seen give some older amps fits would be the higher end 8v Eclipse units. And even then, the amp only clipped slightly at full volume. One tick down and it was OK.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the insight. It sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think I've ever had any stereo (home or car) at full volume with music playing. Maybe just to hear the noise floor. I'm happy keeping things in the lower 2/3 of the range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts