DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a DSP and I have set my amp gains at -5db for midbass, mids and highs and -10db for sub bass. I have many many bands of EQ I can use (RF 3Sixty.3) and I am having a brain fart. Please someone clear this stinker of a fart up for me. I always "EQ" by reducing each band from 0db. If I am at -5db from the get go... does this mean I can safely boost to +5db (Technically 0db) on those bands of the EQ without distortion? Is this the "headroom" people are talking about? Up to +10db on the sub? Someone clear this up for me please. It seems like my system should be louder than it is... not that it is quiet.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, within the DSP's mixer if you bring it down you have that much boost before the DSP's signal clips. Any DSP designed by a sane engineer will have a signal path that makes my statement valid. Audison, Helix, JL, etc. all have this type of signal path.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, within the DSP's mixer if you bring it down you have that much boost before the DSP's signal clips. Any DSP designed by a sane engineer will have a signal path that makes my statement valid. Audison, Helix, JL, etc. all have this type of signal path.
Sweeeeeeet!!!!!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am using a DSP and I have set my amp gains at -5db for midbass, mids and highs and -10db for sub bass. I have many many bands of EQ I can use (RF 3Sixty.3) and I am having a brain fart. Please someone clear this stinker of a fart up for me. I always "EQ" by reducing each band from 0db. If I am at -5db from the get go... does this mean I can safely boost to +5db (Technically 0db) on those bands of the EQ without distortion? Is this the "headroom" people are talking about? Up to +10db on the sub? Someone clear this up for me please. It seems like my system should be louder than it is... not that it is quiet.
Also, there is nothing wrong with increasing an EQ band level as ling as it is in response to a valley or dip when you use pink noise and an RTA. The same as when there is a peak you would decrease a band or bands levels.

·
Registered
359 Posts
^^This... I may have some very low-Q reduction bands that allow me to boost another band by 6dB and still be significantly lower than the original signal. Basically, I just concern myself with the "net" boost - how much the signal is actually being boosted over it's original level. For example, I have a few EQ bands that have 6dB boosts - but none of the bands end up 6dB higher than the original signal - simply because the signal level was reduced because of other low-q band reductions.

At least that is how I understand it. :) I used 0dB tones for all of my gain settings, so that also gives me some headroom too, since very little music is actually recorded at 0dB levels (again, my understanding).

Parametric EQ is very powerful - take advantage of it! :)

Personally, I use a lot of parametric EQ bands and I find the results to be awesome. I know that some say that you should never need more than 10 bands per channel, but I use more than that just to match left and right more "perfectly". I mean isn't that the goal - to get left and right to match as closely as possible? Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't, but I like to get the left/right signals to be as close as possible - so if I have the bands available, I don't see why I shouldn't use them to accomplish that goal. :) It's not like it "costs" anything to use more bands. Like I said, my results have been wonderful, so I'm sticking with what works for me.

EDIT: Here are my "Before EQ" and "After EQ" charts for my Dash, Door and Rear Deck speakers (I prefer rear-fill, band-passed and lowered):

BEFORE EQ

AFTER EQ

Regardless of how many PEQ bands I used, the results are freaking awesome. System sounds so damn good - at least to me (not a "technical SQ" kind of guy)....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts