DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,795 Posts
500 watts RMS to a mid will set it on fire.
Mids dont pump air around the VC to cool it off.Maybe a few milliseconds of burst power can be tolerated but the first time its driven hard to the point of clipping for more then a for a few seconds it's toast.
Something like a 10" JBL PA speaker might take it but the magnet weighs 10+ pounds and even then they will blow at a certain point.

· Registered
3,034 Posts
I have 650 watts on tap to each side of my comp sets. I've yet to see a fire in my car? I must be doing it wrong. Back to the drawing board

· Registered
5,562 Posts
You guys must like headroom even more than I do. :D You could have 10kw "on tap" to each side, Brian, but I highly doubt your drivers ever see close to that amount of power, or for any significant amount of time, so mentioning having 500w or 1kw or 5kw seems kind of irrelevant. Thus, why they have yet to burst into flames. ;)

· Registered
3,034 Posts
Mine is just because I have the amps anyway and I hate to have them set in the closet. But it is nice to have my gain insanely low.

And yes I realize I don't actually see that kind of power to my speakers. Doubt they've ever seen triple digits.

· Registered
3,034 Posts
I had to sell my horns :/ but lord I could only imagine horns in the double digits. Ouch!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.