DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a pair of Hybrid audio 6.5 Clarus and have thought of buying a jl hd600/4 to power them. I was thinking of using 2 channels to power the components (150x2 @ 4 ohm) using a o silla scope on the amp once head unit is set at the volume before it clips, but would it be best to bridge the amp and set the power to 150x2 @ 4 ohm or would it be best to set the amp to send 175x2 @ 4 ohm? I'm not too sure on how much these components can take, but i was thinking of using like 70-80hz xover point since i do have a woofer in the trunk. Also after reading steve meads dd1 manual it states that -5db test tones is for sound quality and -10db is a comprimise of sq/loudness and -15db being loudness. What are your thoughts on what i should do? Thanks

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
the lower the signal you use to set the amps. the louder they will play with music (since music will be much more than -15dB level) but you will trade off distortion and clipping (sq)

pick the one you want

Reactions: bmiller1

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you think as far as the amp question?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
set the amp the way you are gonna use it. does no good to bridge the amp and set the gains, then unbridge it. all the settings will be wrong.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
set the amp the way you are gonna use it. does no good to bridge the amp and set the gains, then unbridge it. all the settings will be wrong.

I understand that, but will my music be more dynamic if i bridge the amp and set to do150 on each component oppose to having the amp on 2 ch mode and using the rated power (150 rms

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you have a comp set with a midbass and tweeter, then ya. the extra power will help with headroom and dynamics. a tweeter doesnt need a lot of power anyway. just realise that you will lose some control over tweeter level since it will be tied to the midbass. does the tweeter crossover have a level setting?

BTW, that amp will be 300W x 2 @ 4 ohm. make sure your comps can take that.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you have a comp set with a midbass and tweeter, then ya. the extra power will help with headroom and dynamics. a tweeter doesnt need a lot of power anyway. just realise that you will lose some control over tweeter level since it will be tied to the midbass. does the tweeter crossover have a level setting?

BTW, that amp will be 300W x 2 @ 4 ohm. make sure your comps can take that.

Yes, The components xover does have -3-0-+3db. I had planned to use the -3db level. I had planned to use the amp in bridge mode and setting about 175 rms per channel. The reason i'm thinking of getting a 4ch amp is because i might go 2 way/3 way active down the road .

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yes, The components xover does have -3-0-+3db. I had planned to use the -3db level. I had planned to use the amp in bridge mode and setting about 175 rms per channel. The reason i'm thinking of getting a 4ch amp is because i might go 2 way/3 way active down the road .
good, then you should have control over the tweeter level. that should work just fine.

on the wattage subject though. how do you know it will be set to 175w? just because you set the gains to ~175W with a test signal dosent mean that loud passage of music or a loudly recorded CD/mp3 will not exceed that. if you bridge it for 300W, then you should have speakers that can handle it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good, then you should have control over the tweeter level. that should work just fine.

on the wattage subject though. how do you know it will be set to 175w? just because you set the gains to ~175W with a test signal dosent mean that loud passage of music or a loudly recorded CD/mp3 will not exceed that. if you bridge it for 300W, then you should have speakers that can handle it.

Well, I was thinking of using the o silla scope just to make sure that the amp doesn't have a clipped signal than i was planning on using a dmm to have the amp do 175 rms. What method would you recommend?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
those methods work just fine. my point is that you will have a hard time guaranteeing that it will only put out 175W. if you bridge it, it will put out 300Watts if there is enough signal. unless you set gains with a 0dBf track with the volume on HU at 100%, you will never be able to limit wattage. I am certainly not saying you should set it this way, but if a louder track comes along than what you tested it at, it WILL play louder.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, hmm... What method do you use? If i may ask... :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would leave it at 150 x 4 honestly. that is ****on of power and you wont use it all anyway. ;)

if the clarus will take 300W go for it, but I suspect they wont. plus you will have more control over the tweeter this way.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would leave it at 150 x 4 honestly. that is ****on of power and you wont use it all anyway. ;)

if the clarus will take 300W go for it, but I suspect they wont. plus you will have more control over the tweeter this way.

How would the tweeter have more control if the amp was bridged and if i had the components Passive?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
How would the tweeter have more control if the amp was bridged and if i had the components Passive?
If you already have 4 channels of amplification dedicated to your mids & highs you might as well use all 4 & go active.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you already have 4 channels of amplification dedicated to your mids & highs you might as well use all 4 & go active.

Actually, i'm in that process. I bought a Eclipse CD7000 from a member on here. I already have an amp that i'll be using for the tweeters and i plan to purchase a jl audio HD600/4 for the mid drivers bridged to do about 175-200x2. I had forgotten about this thread and noticed that i hadn't replied to what Minbari had posted which got me a bit confused so that's what i brought this thread back up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts