DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on piecing together a system for my '06 Pontiac GTO. I have it all figured out for mids and highs, but I need some bass. I'd like to stick with the stock speaker locations, hence the rear deck subs. I've done some searching but would love to hear some suggestions.

The setup:
Rear deck currently has 7" stockers.
Amp will be a Zapco Reference 500.1
I will be having a sealed fiberglass box built under the rear deck. Most GTO guys are running them free air, but I don't see that as ideal.
Space is definitely a limitation. Depth is limited by the stupid gas tank straps...

Here's the space I have to work with...

From this thread: 8' JL SUB's in the 6 1/2" hole with no cutting W/pics - LS1GTO.com Forums

Something like the Alpine SWR-823D might take cutting to fit:
Alpine SWR-823D Type-R 8" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

Also looking at the JL 6W3v3 with a great deal of curiosity:
JL Audio 6W3v3-8 W3v3 Series 6.5" 8-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated! I'm looking to have this done sometime next week, and I'll post up some pics of the install when I am done. :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
CDT Audio has dual 2 ohm 6.5" subwoofers that work in free air applications, the new HD-6MDVC. If you don't want 2 Ohm subs there are 4 Ohm 6.5" subs also from CDT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This isn't going to remain a free air application though. I will be having a sealed enclosure built for it.

Sorry, I kinda buried that statement in my wall of text in my first post.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will keep those in mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts