DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Before I ask anything I would like to say that this site RULES!.

I just ordered one of those MB quart Amp/Sub combos from Crutchfield.

I am NOW in the market for some 6.5" seperates for my doors and I am meaning towards a CDTs,Image dynamics, or Elemental Designs.

However, I see that some guys are using a seas and an LG? tweeter....Can someone please explain to me the process in using raw drivers and mating them so they sound good?

I would love to put something together that is original and that sounds GREAT.

Any info on drivers and crossovers would help greatly.

Thanks
Perry

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same car I have, and I think imaging is harder to work with in these cars than most others.

So just from what I've played around with, I liked my tweets in the dash where the factory 3.5's are. Both CDT CL61 tweets and RE tweets were a little bright on the a-pillar, so in the dash worked better for me.

I liked a lower crossover point for the tweet (comparing 2khz to 4-5khz), but these were two different tweeters. The CDT mid playing up high (4-5khz) left a lot of music to be heard down by the shifter.....and it became hard to drive with my head down there :p

So just from my limited knowledge, I think I need a tweeter that will play fairly low (crossoed over say around 1-2khz), and a mid with good severe off axis response. You may have to cut some MDF spacers to get anything deeper than 2.5" in the door.

Maybe the best way would be to have glassed pods in the doors for both the mid and tweeter.

And after all that rambleing, I can say I liked the RE comps pretty good, but it does look like you can spend as much or maybe a little more and get much better performance with a DIY setup. Try reading through these threads and you'll learn a lot. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts