DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking to piece together a setup for my Kia Rio and am looking at doing the front speakers for now So I want to get a 4 channel amp for future upgrades but I want a good set of component 6.5 speakers for the front. I listen to edm mainly, I was told to get focal but I've herd they are very "bright"? I don't want boomy speakers with no detail but i don't want speakers that have no mids or bass at all and are super bright ether. I have a budget of about $800 for the amp and speakers

·
Super Moderator
2,000 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L - Seeing how good I can make cheap components sound.
589 Posts
Hi I am looking to piece together a setup for my Kia Rio and am looking at doing the front speakers for now So I want to get a 4 channel amp for future upgrades but I want a good set of component 6.5 speakers for the front. I listen to edm mainly, I was told to get focal but I've herd they are very "bright"? I don't want boomy speakers with no detail but i don't want speakers that have no mids or bass at all and are super bright ether. I have a budget of about $800 for the amp and speakers
I am a huge fan of a few cheaper brands. If you ask me the new infinity and jbl component 6.5's sound great and do it for around $200 - $300. I agree that focals sound incredible and are a difinite cut above, but I think the law of diminishing returns comes into play. I think $200 - $300 is the point where you get a great sounding speaker and the improvements you get for the next $500 - $1000 are not worth the money. I don't claim to have the most discerning ear, but I can only notice the difference between a pair of Infinity's and a pair lower end Focals is only noticeable to me if I hear them side by side.

I also think that good sound deadening is absolutely necessecary. I don't care if you drop $3K on your front components. They absolutely will not sound good without sound deadening.

I am embarrassed to admit that for yours I just couldn't figure out why my expensive new components that were obviously superior to the factory loadout never had the bass response of the factory speakers I removed. The mids and highs were much better sounding, but the lows just never came out. I fought for years trying to fill the hole from about 65Hz to about 100Hz. My problem was sound deadening. In my defence, I'm 39 years old and when I was a teenager the only sound deadening available was Dynamat and it was absolutely obscenely expensive. Something like a few hundred dollars for just a couple square yards. Too expensive for a broke teenager to experiment with.

I love that today Noico is super cheap and effective. My point is that you absolutely have to properly dampen your doors or you're just wasting money. I covered the outer and inner door skin and used Stinger fast rings in my '06 Camry and the bass response from my 7" Kenwood components are so good that I sometimes forget that I still haven't installed my sub. The clarity and isolation of the mid range tones has improved also without all that sympathetic vibration. Now, I can comfortably set my sub crossover to 63 because my door speakers have no problem playing down to about 55 - 60Hz.

I've given this advice about a million times now because I don't want anyone else to overlook the importance of sound deadening. I always say sound deaden the crap out of it. Part of it may be that I live in Louisiana where there are almost no audio stores and even fewer people that have a basic understanding of car audio. True story - I worked at an audio shop near Fort Polk, Louisiana and I guy that had been installing there for about 4 or 5 years had no understanding of why crossovers were needed at all. He would install a pair of subs and an amp and set the crossover to between 150 and 200Hz. I questioned him about it and suggested maybe 80Hz. He got fuming mad and started yelling about how ported boxes were tuned and wouldn't play over 100 or so hertz and crossovers were pointless. That is but one of many stories I have and the others are just as sad/frustrating/painful. Yeah, that's the type of professional installers we have around here. I only lasted there for about 6 months because I was a "know it all." The incompetence was amazing.

In summation, Yay! for sound deadening. The state of the custom audio market here is even dumber and more backward than everything else. I honestly feel so bad for the customers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a set of focal flax 165 fxs and like them, having purchased a new ute I thought id want to buy a brand new set, and I was steering towards the focal KX2 , but aside hearing them next to the hertz range , focal was indeed too bright, hertz were nice and warm . I installed the hertz 3 way milli pro , have to say im starting to hear things iv never heard before in the songs id usually listen to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am kind of looking at these speakers,

I still have to get door treatment and an amp as well

prices are roughly what they are listed for in my country

audio frog G60S PERFORMANCE 6″ COMPONENT SYSTEM $399.00

Hertz MLK 1650.3 LEGEND165 $820

Memphis Audio VIV60CV2 6.5 $830

Morel Tempo Ultra 602 MKII C $649.00

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
I am embarrassed to admit that for yours I just couldn't figure out why my expensive new components that were obviously superior to the factory loadout never had the bass response of the factory speakers I removed. The mids and highs were much better sounding, but the lows just never came out. I fought for years trying to fill the hole from about 65Hz to about 100Hz. My problem was sound deadening. In my defence, I'm 39 years old and when I was a teenager the only sound deadening available was Dynamat and it was absolutely obscenely expensive. Something like a few hundred dollars for just a couple square yards. Too expensive for a broke teenager to experiment with.

I love that today Noico is super cheap and effective. My point is that you absolutely have to properly dampen your doors or you're just wasting money. I covered the outer and inner door skin and used Stinger fast rings in my '06 Camry and the bass response from my 7" Kenwood components are so good that I sometimes forget that I still haven't installed my sub. The clarity and isolation of the mid range tones has improved also without all that sympathetic vibration. Now, I can comfortably set my sub crossover to 63 because my door speakers have no problem playing down to about 55 - 60Hz.

In summation, Yay! for sound deadening. The state of the custom audio market here is even dumber and more backward than everything else. I honestly feel so bad for the customers.
Great post, this should be pinned!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Do you have room for 2.5" speakers above the dash? Sure is nice having "widebands" playing a majority of the musical content up above the dash and let the larger speakers pump out the midbass and lower midrange.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am a huge fan of a few cheaper brands. If you ask me the new infinity and jbl component 6.5's sound great and do it for around $200 - $300. I agree that focals sound incredible and are a difinite cut above, but I think the law of diminishing returns comes into play. I think $200 - $300 is the point where you get a great sounding speaker and the improvements you get for the next $500 - $1000 are not worth the money. I don't claim to have the most discerning ear, but I can only notice the difference between a pair of Infinity's and a pair lower end Focals is only noticeable to me if I hear them side by side.

I also think that good sound deadening is absolutely necessecary. I don't care if you drop $3K on your front components. They absolutely will not sound good without sound deadening.

I've given this advice about a million times now because I don't want anyone else to overlook the importance of sound deadening. I always say sound deaden the crap out of it. Part of it may be that I live in Louisiana where there are almost no audio stores and even fewer people that have a basic understanding of car audio. True story - I worked at an audio shop near Fort Polk, Louisiana and I guy that had been installing there for about 4 or 5 years had no understanding of why crossovers were needed at all. He would install a pair of subs and an amp and set the crossover to between 150 and 200Hz. I questioned him about it and suggested maybe 80Hz. He got fuming mad and started yelling about how ported boxes were tuned and wouldn't play over 100 or so hertz and crossovers were pointless. That is but one of many stories I have and the others are just as sad/frustrating/painful. Yeah, that's the type of professional installers we have around here. I only lasted there for about 6 months because I was a "know it all." The incompetence was amazing.

I had the JBL Club series component sets and didn’t like them too well. Imo the Morel Maximo series is better in quality and not far from the price of a JBL set.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Great post, this should be pinned!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Thank you very much. When it's so easy to be negative and blow holes in everything, I really appreciate what you said. I don't have the words to describe the difference sound treatment in my doors made.

Now that I think about it, I've made probably 20 or 30 posts like this. If it was pinned, it sure would save me time, LOL. In the meantime, I'll keep posting it. Every car audio enthusiast needs to know how important this unseen, boring, easy to overlook upgrade. If you ask me door speaker manufacturers should emphasize this point much more. As it is now they barely mention it. You would think they would have a huge warning on the speaker box because there are many people out there disappointed in speaker upgrades because no one mentioned sound deadening.

I'll shout it from the rooftops. I went twenty years without knowing how necessecary it is.

Reactions: The Dude

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had the JBL Club series component sets and didn’t like them too well. Imo the Morel Maximo series is better in quality and not far from the price of a JBL set.
That is good to know. I have only heard JBL club components once and it was in a very new Mercedes suv. Thinking back the solid build and wealth of sound deadening it was equipped with from the factory may have made them sound a good bit better.

As for the higher end brands, I don't know much about them. I will keep it in mind that Morel has some more budget minded setups. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Thank you very much. When it's so easy to be negative and blow holes in everything, I really appreciate what you said. I don't have the words to describe the difference sound treatment in my doors made.

I'll shout it from the rooftops. I went twenty years without knowing how necessecary it is.
100 percent. It's like night and day. You see all of these speaker reviews online, you can't put much stock in the negative ones when you know that no deadening/door treatment was done. All of that potential great sound, wasted and turned into buzzes, rattles, and hollow sound.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
666 Posts

Now that I think about it, I've made probably 20 or 30 posts like this. If it was pinned, it sure would save me time, LOL. In the meantime, I'll keep posting it. Every car audio enthusiast needs to know how important this unseen, boring, easy to overlook upgrade. If you ask me door speaker manufacturers should emphasize this point much more. As it is now they barely mention it. You would think they would have a huge warning on the speaker box because there are many people out there disappointed in speaker upgrades because no one mentioned sound deadening.

Sound treatments aren't anywhere near as glamorous as the gear, for sure. It's not as easy a sell to most people. Cool thing is treatments make the car a better environment even when the stereo is turned off. Any cars I get in the future will have sound treatments as the very first step. (And wiring, since all the necessary interior pieces will already be removed.) I now think of it as required infrastructure. After that's done, the vehicle is a proper clean slate for messing with the actual equipment. I would think that most stock stereos would sound better with proper treatment, so at least there would be some improvement to that - somewhat better sound before doing the new gear install. I've never tried this, though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sound treatments aren't anywhere near as glamorous as the gear, for sure. It's not as easy a sell to most people. Cool thing is treatments make the car a better environment even when the stereo is turned off. Any cars I get in the future will have sound treatments as the very first step. (And wiring, since all the necessary interior pieces will already be removed.) I now think of it as required infrastructure. After that's done, the vehicle is a proper clean slate for messing with the actual equipment. I would think that most stock stereos would sound better with proper treatment, so at least there would be some improvement to that - somewhat better sound before doing the new gear install. I've never tried this, though.
First off, manufacturers have to be very careful how much sound treatment they put into regular cars. The main reason that the premium brands like lexus infinity and cadillac, etc. seem so solid and are such a pleasure to ride in is because they are fully or almost fully covered in the full sound deadening treatment. We can't have Camrys feeling like ES300's. Toyotas are purposefully under deadened so Lexus vehicles feel more premium.

Speaking of Camrys, I drive a 5th gen and it's pathetic how little sound deadening there is. If it had a little more, it would be an Avalon. (not entirely, but you see). I've been putting off pulling my whole interior so I can lay the full treatment all around. I know I'll love it when I do it, but I work on other people's cars all week. Last thing I wanna do is work on mine now. My car audio sounds so much better sitting still. I remember loving to modify and improve my car...

Next car I buy is gonna be a Lexus. I'll pay a few thousand more (used) and get a Lexus just so I don't have to pull the whole interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a set of focal flax 165 fxs and like them, having purchased a new ute I thought id want to buy a brand new set, and I was steering towards the focal KX2 , but aside hearing them next to the hertz range , focal was indeed too bright, hertz were nice and warm . I installed the hertz 3 way milli pro , have to say im starting to hear things iv never heard before in the songs id usually listen to.
thanks i've been reading a lot about focals and it seems their entry level and flax are the only ones worth purchasing until you get to the higher end models as some of them get quite harsh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts