DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now im running a set of diamond audio d3 6.5's in my kick panels. They do not produce enough/accurate midbass due the enclosures being so small.
Basically, im looking for suggestions for 6.5's that do well in small sealed enclosures.
-2 way + sub system
-i run just this component set w/o rear fill
-Don't have a ton of money to spend
-drivers are run active and the midrange get ~65watts each
-eventually midrange drivers will recieve more power (~100watts a driver) when i have funds for a new amp

·
Registered
578 Posts
You're not going to get great midbass using a car spec'd driver in a sealed kick. Car spec'd drivers tend to have higher qts values and usually best used in car doors. If you have a car door, use that instead. If not, find something on the DIY side, model it, usually you're only going to have a few litters of airspace to work with anyway, and see what type of response you can get.

Again, if the door is not an option, look at all of your options, under seat, sub intergration to cover more midbass- if you have subs that will play higher, etc.....I've heard cars with 5 1/4" in the doors that had good upfront bass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys,
yea my door is really not an option.
im liking that exodus woofer, looks pretty beefy. But, im wondering how high ill be able to play those guys. hmm

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
thanks guys,
yea my door is really not an option.
im liking that exodus woofer, looks pretty beefy. But, im wondering how high ill be able to play those guys. hmm

Exodus EX-Anarchy Midwoofer Reviews

Product: Exodus EX-Anarchy Midwoofer

Date: Wednesday 09 June, 2010

Review:

Let me start this review with a list of drivers I am comparing the Anarchy to:

Usher 8945P
Dynaudio MW162
Seas P18RNX/P
Image Dynamics CX-62
Focal 165KF

The environment is in my car door heavily deadened with approximately 185 watts available from an Arc Audio Ks300.4 bridge to them.

Simply put....MONSTROUS. The Anarchy outperforms every midwoofer I have ever used PERIOD. There are times when you search and swap endlessly to achieve the sound you want and I get to stop here. I have the high passed at 50Hz 24sB/Octave and they play the low end effortlessly and cleanly with so much authority I demo them with my subwoofers turned off. As far as the high end goes...once again beautiful. I have them mated to a pair of Morel MDT-105S large format tweeters in the dash locations and they work perfectly. I currently have them low passed at 1.6kHz 24dB/Octave for staging purposes, but I did play with them up to 5kHz and they could do it cleanly as long as you have a steep crossover slope. the best description I have for these is: an aluminum cone subwoofer with paper cone smoothness that sounds like it has a co-axially mounted dedicated midrange. I didn't think it possible to get the best of all worlds in a single 7'' frame midwoofer, well it is! Thanks for making such a wonderful product!

Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]

I know this is a review of them IB in the doors, but this will hopefully give you an idea of their extended midrange ability. I just saw you have 65 watts for your mids, may be a little low for this driver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea the 65 watts might not do it, but it will only be temporary. I plan to do more power eventually. Thanks for that review though, very helpful. I guess this will be somewhat experimental for me but i am very interested in trying a pair of these exodus woofers. I guess ill have to scrape up some dough and get a pair. Thanks guys

·
Registered
50 Posts
My quest for the Jeep revolves around material which will be able to withstand a sometimes damp ( at least ) environment of being topless part of the year. I will probably avoid paper cones, but I am open to suggestions also...Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're not going to get great midbass using a car spec'd driver in a sealed kick. Car spec'd drivers tend to have higher qts values and usually best used in car doors. If you have a car door, use that instead. If not, find something on the DIY side, model it, usually you're only going to have a few litters of airspace to work with anyway, and see what type of response you can get.

Again, if the door is not an option, look at all of your options, under seat, sub intergration to cover more midbass- if you have subs that will play higher, etc.....I've heard cars with 5 1/4" in the doors that had good upfront bass.
+1 on this. Getting any kind of solid mid-bass response out of those small sealed kicks can be next to impossible. Do you have any airspace behind them that you can vent into? If you let those mids "breathe" they will preform a whole lot better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Question, audioanomoly, I'll be using fiberglass pods designed to go in the side by side ATVs like Rhinos, etc. Could I just cut an opening in the pods as a vent, and if I did would I still use polyfill....?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 on this. Getting any kind of solid mid-bass response out of those small sealed kicks can be next to impossible. Do you have any airspace behind them that you can vent into? If you let those mids "breathe" they will preform a whole lot better.
Im not sure what you mean by allow them to breath. There is space behind them and i guess i could make the enclosures slightly bigger but its not going to be that much

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My quest for the Jeep revolves around material which will be able to withstand a sometimes damp ( at least ) environment of being topless part of the year. I will probably avoid paper cones, but I am open to suggestions also...Thanks
Your welcome to make your own thread, but this is completely irrelevant to what I am asking, so please ask this elsewhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, bud....I guess I did kind of get in the middle of your thread. I will follow though, because your solution will be close to mine..Thanks..

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
You may look at something other than a 6.5 for your sealed kick. You will get more output out of something like a scan rev 5.5 or a seas mag 5 driver in that small enclosure. If price is an issue you may look at the SB A products.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts