DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, could anyone recommend a pair of 6.5" for under $200?

Coaxial for the rear set, components for the front maybe?

I was thinking about getting an Alpine amp for the four speakers but don't know what model. Any suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
223 Posts
People have a hard time satisfying your needs with the budget and size being the only info. What's your sound goal, what mounting depth do you have to work with, and what type of music do you most frequently listen to?

All-around, I'd say your sub-200 best bets in comp sets are the Massive CK-6X, JBL P660c, and Image Dynamics CTX series comps. If you can go active, there are literally tons of raw drivers to choose between.

As for amplimification, we need details on your current electrical setup, but I feel comfortable recommending the PPI P900.4 or a used MB Quart DSC4125. If you can handle running just the front speakers, consider a Boston Acoustics GT2125 for 110 while SE still carries them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the help.

My info...

Car: '94 Integra hatchback (mounting depth is limited in rear). All four speaker wells fit 6.5" speakers.
H/U: Kenwood KDC-X395
Subs: Two 12" Alpine Type R subs
Sub Amp: Sony Explod 1200W

I chatted with a Crutchfield.com rep and he recommended the following:

Front: Component Infinity Reference 6032si
Rear: Shallow Depth Coaxial Infinity Reference 6030cs
4 Channel Amp: Alpine MRV-F300
Rockford Fosgate RFK4D 4-gauge Wiring Kit
Speaker Baffles

I found all this equipment on eBay for cheaper than Crutchfield and got it down to $500.

Questions:

• Several customers were complimenting these Infinity speakers for their Upper and Mid-range clarity, but complained about their lack of low bass output. Is this typical for all 6.5" speakers or just these? Should that be a concern even with subwoofers? Isn't it nice to have some bass come from the speakers right next to you, not just in the back?
  • Now that you have an idea of my price range, are there better speakers out there for about the same cost?
  • Isn't Alpine one of the best amp makers in terms of all-around performance, clarity and efficiency?

I listen to all kinds of music. Mostly soft rock, synthpop and electronic music like trance and house.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Skip the Infinity's - you won't be happy with the bass.

I think a component set up front would be good, but if you're on a budget maybe do just the front speakers now and spend the $$ on deadener for the doors instead of rear speakers. You can add the rear speakers later.

A good set of 6.5's with properly treated doors can have excellent midbass.

Alpine makes respectable amps at this point in time, although there are probably better amps available for the same or less $$. The guts of that MRP-F300 look alarmingly like a Sony.

I buy used amps - for me it's been the best way to get the most power/features/quality for the least $$.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dang that amp is beautiful. Small, powerful, efficient, and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Say no to speaker baffles, they wil kill the midbass response. Most midbass speakers are designed to use the whole door as the enclosure or free air. Just make sure the door is sealed in such a way that the rear wave from the speaker never meets the front

Skip the infinity reference series

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a set of infinity ref comps a few years back, even to my tin ear they were pretty bad. No low end, an unpleasant resonance in the midrange and the tweeters were just harsh. Did a straight swap to some JBL low end components, can't remember what model, noticeably better. Then dropped in a set of Boston SL60s and they were much better all around. All three sets were identical installs, no changes other than the component sets..

I'd get the JBL ms60 set for $180ish or if budget is tight go with pioneer tsd1720c, I just got that set for $98 shipped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the recommendations. I think I'm sold on the Precision Power P900.4.

However, not completely sold on a set of component 6.5s yet...

I like these but reviews note that fact that they are 2ohm. Will they run on my Kenwood H/U and P900.4 amp? JBL P660C

Why are these speakers better? For $40 more how much louder/better will the 4-ohm JBL MS-62C sound than the 2-ohm JBL P660C?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another set of components in the $200 or less range you may want to consider is the Helix B62c. They're one of our customer's favorites on our soundboard in their price range. Helix® - Product Details
Retail is listed as $219.95, but can be found for under $200 at most authorized dealers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So.. so far I've been recommended three different JBL model 6.5" speakers. I'm liking the overall vibe I'm getting from this brand after reading all the reviews.

First..

$200 JBL GTO608C, on sale at Amazon for $67 (why so cheap??)
- 4.4/5.0 out of 8 reviews on SE, 4.5/5.0 stars out of 18 reviews on Amazon
- 92 dB sensitivity
- 2 ohms
- 70W RMS per speaker
- 210W peak per speaker

$250 JBL P660C, on sale at SE for $150 (why so much cheaper than the list price?)
- 4.9/5.0 out of 18 reviews on SE
- 94 dB sensitivity
- 2 ohms
- 90W RMS per speaker
- 270W peak per speaker

$300 JBL MS 62C, on sale at SE for $300, or eBay for $200 (why the huge $100 discrepancy in prices between vendors?)
- 4.5/5.0 out of (only) 2 reviews on SE
- 89 dB (only!)
- 4 ohms
- 80W RMS per speaker
- 160W peak per speaker

Can someone please tell me scientific reasons what sets these speakers apart and why?

A higher sensitivity (94 db as opposed to 89 dB) is an indication of what exactly? Clarity or what...?

Does having a higher RMS rating per speaker mean a potentially louder speaker or....?

I've been reading that the traditional ohm rating is 4 ohms for car speakers. What does 2 ohms mean?

What do all these specs mean? :confused:

Out of all three of these, regardless of their listing price, which is the best quality speaker? I want clarity and loud bass in my 6.5s....

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Those are good questions, but in order for the answers to mean anything, you really need to learn more about the parameters and what they can tell you about the potential performance of any given speaker. If you are interested, there are many excellent threads covering those subjects here on this forum.

However, the most direct solution remains virtually the same as it has always been when shopping for audio gear - find a place locally to audition different options, and choose whatever you like best. Beyond that, relying on subjective opinions over the internet will only lead you in circles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are good questions, but in order for the answers to mean anything, you really need to learn more about the parameters and what they can tell you about the potential performance of any given speaker. If you are interested, there are many excellent threads covering those subjects here on this forum.

However, the most direct solution remains virtually the same as it has always been when shopping for audio gear - find a place locally to audition different options, and choose whatever you like best. Beyond that, relying on subjective opinions over the internet will only lead you in circles.
How am I supposed to test the equipment when my local audio shops have such a limited selection of speakers? They sell Boston, JL and Kenwood and Kicker, and that's about it...

Could you please attempt to answer my questions yourself?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You gotta start reading alot of threads on this forum, there are so many to to teach you the basics. Im 4-5 years in and I still have alot to learn. The P900.4 amp is a solid choice, especially because its tiny. Any of the component sets recommended will suffice. If I had to recommend one, it would be the Image Dynamics. You can find them on ebay for like $160~

btw, get a new subwoofer amp, the xplod amp is underpowering your subs. Are you running sealed or ported?

·
Registered
290 Posts
The crossover on the JBL MS-62C uses higher quality components than those in the P660C. You also get a cast basket on the 62C drivers, versus a stamped steel basket on the P660C, so there's a cost difference there as well.

Will you hear these things? I don't know...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's a ported enclosure...

These Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs?

Why don't they seem as popular as the JBLs? Not as many rave reviews for those as there were for the JBL P660C...
Yeah, those are nice speakers. I have no knowledge on JBL speakers. THe real question is.. will you tell a difference between $160 speakers, and $250-300 speakers? If its maybe a 10% difference, is it worth the cost? etc. Usually better to start lower cost vs higher cost, to get a better understanding of what you are looking for in equipment. I have heard $1500 systems blow mine out of the water, though im perfectly satisfied with the 700~ Im into mine for. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, what sony amp exactly do you have?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts