DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a couple old threads but didn't want to dig them up, and figured there may be new options on the market.

I want to try something that may turn out to be a disaster, so I'm testing with a pair of Skar EVL 65's that are laying around, but if it works and sounds good I may upgrade the subs to something with a better response.

I'll have about .2 cubes sealed each to be safe, it might work out to be up to .25. 350 @ 4ohm, 550 @ 2 ohm Mono will be available

What are your recommendations, maybe a high and low price option.

The Massive HippoXL64 always looked good, anyone ever try them?

· Registered
2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
1,712 Posts
That 550w will power the skar 6.5's decently. They are inefficient though so the amp will be running pretty hard if you are pushing them to just below audible distortion. I had a pair of 6.5 in .22ft each and I wasn't really happy, they fell a bit short of the output I wanted as they run out of excursion pretty fast and don't play very low. They were snappy and accurate as long as you didn't push them. I have 6x9's for midbass in decently treated doors so I need a bit more sub than those could deliver.

I currently am running 2 of the 8" VD series though in a ported enclosure tuned at 36hz with ~560 available watts from my V9 sub channel. I like them, they play MUCH lower and sound quite good. They sound far better tuned as an sql sub than for pure output.

Reactions: Sounds_Insane

· Registered
3,056 Posts
I had good results with JL audio W3 v2 6,5 sub in approx 10 liter ported enclosure - performed surprisingly good for the size.

· Registered
2,636 Posts
Im still unsure about 6.5 inch subs. I have heard a few that sound very surprising but in each case, they were in much larger boxes or some different alignment (Tlline/6th order). In those cases, although they sounded good and I was impressed, I would look at the box size. In my head and looking at the box size, I would just step up to a larger sub. OP may certainly have a space requirement that only a 6.5 sub would work

· Registered
3,056 Posts
HAt and DLS had also 6,5 subs,...DLS suggestion was to run 2 pcs.

here is another example of dual 6,5" JL W0 in ported downfiring enclosure

· Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im still unsure about 6.5 inch subs. I have heard a few that sound very surprising but in each case, they were in much larger boxes or some different alignment (Tlline/6th order). In those cases, although they sounded good and I was impressed, I would look at the box size. In my head and looking at the box size, I would just step up to a larger sub. OP may certainly have a space requirement that only a 6.5 sub would work
I can only fit a 6.5" diameter sub, but yes, 8's would work better.

These are going to supplement the 18" IB I'm installing as well. They will fill hole in between the door midbass and the sub, and when I have back seat passengers on longer trips or listening to talk radio/pod casts, I can turn the 18 off and keep the 6.5s in for fill.
But who knows, maybe I don't need them after everything is installed and tuned.

I have some Kicker 6.5's, the old school one, in a bandpass design I got from Kicker in the 90's. I've rebuilt it a couple times when I was able to still find the subs. It's sounds great, and is now my office sub.
Brown Camera lens Gadget Rectangle Motor vehicle

Wood Packaging and labeling Carton Cardboard Hardwood

Output device Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gadget Personal computer

· Registered
735 Posts
I always think this when I see shallow subs, they may not be deep but they seem to need a big box

· Registered
889 Posts
I can only fit a 6.5" diameter sub, but yes, 8's would work better.

These are going to supplement the 18" IB I'm installing as well. They will fill hole in between the door midbass and the sub, and when I have back seat passengers on longer trips or listening to talk radio/pod casts, I can turn the 18 off and keep the 6.5s in for fill.
But who knows, maybe I don't need them after everything is installed and tuned.

I have some Kicker 6.5's, the old school one, in a bandpass design I got from Kicker in the 90's. I've rebuilt it a couple times when I was able to still find the subs. It's sounds great, and is now my office sub.
View attachment 334987
View attachment 334988
View attachment 334989
Man I miss the stillwater days. 🥲

· Registered
199 Posts
I’m running 4 sundown SA-6.5 in a convertible old school Cadillac. They are in pairs, one set in each quarter panel ported in about .75 cu ft per pair. They fire straight up into the top of the quarter panel and are block off from the rest of the trunk. This gives me a really good response consider how hard a convertible is to get bass out of. I’m running about 2200 watts to the 4. Very happy. Couldn’t imagine you wouldn’t be happy in a regular car once you factor in cabin gain

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.