DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a Chrysler 300. Currently I have a JBL ms8, h-audio trinity 3.5" in dash left, center, and right. 7" Dayton rs180s in the doors, and a helix e300 12" in a sealed box in the trunk.

My goal is to beef up the center channel as my trinity in the dash goes down to 200hz. I want frontal impact from the midbass, and I don't want to tear apart my whole dash as this is my DD.

So, if you're not familiar with the 300 dash, the radio, clock, Hvac controls, and two vents are all clustered into a removable center bezel. The only thing not mounted to the bezel is te radio.

My plan is to rearrange that bezel, ditch the clock and vents, and fit a 6.5" peerless sls in their place. I'd be doing this in a manner that doesn't look cheesy, and would dampen the thing as much as possible.

My question is this: what are your thoughts on the effects on my soundstage with this setup? The woofer would basically be at arms distance and firing straight back with a slight upward angle (maybe 10-15 degrees). Keep in mind my dash speakers are firing right into the windshield which is quite deep and raked severely.

So is this a silly idea? Or will I get the frontal impact I'm looking for without sacrificing my soundstage quality?

The beauty of this project is I'll be doing this to a spare center bezel so I can always return to stock if I hate it. I just figured I'd tap my resources here and get some opinions...

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
It's worth a try. And since you have rs180's I'd keep things matched and do an rs180 in the dash bezzel even though it probably isn't near the midbass the sls is. I have a feeling it would sound better too because the timbre would be the same all the way across.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's worth a try. And since you have rs180's I'd keep things matched and do an rs180 in the dash bezzel even though it probably isn't near the midbass the sls is. I have a feeling it would sound better too because the timbre would be the same all the way across.
I hear ya, but space is an issue. The sls is great because it has a squared shape that allows for a tighter spot. It's like 6.5" actual OD versus over 7" on the daytons. Besides, nothing says I couldn't replace the Daytons with sls. I think one is bad anyway lol

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
IMHO...Give it a try
I was able to fit a morel elate 6, IB, in my center console. That is the biggest driver i could fit in there w/o going to a fully customized console.

And had a tang-band w4-1757sb full-range firing straight up into the glass

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ that's pretty cool!

Mine would be up higher in the dash where the radio would normally sit, and I'd move the radio up to make room.

I'm thinking I'd make the box and mount it to the dash frame and make the bezel just a cover as opposed to mounting the speaker in that bezel.

Keep em coming guys, I need ideas!

·
Registered
192 Posts
X2, timbre matching will very helpful IMO as well. Instead of going with the 7" if you can't fit it, come down one size to the 6" if possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts