DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of research but I feel like I'm trying to compare apples and oranges.

I need amps for my new 3 way active front sq based system.
Sound processing is taken care of by a 2X8 miniDSP.

My power requirements are only about 50-60W Rms to each channel.

Any ideas guys? I have PLENTY of room for amps, that is not the issue, but I am trying to come in under my budget. Ive got about $600 to spend on the amps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
PM sent.....M25 on tweets, M50 on mids and M100 on your woofers. All matching and you can place them side by side to make it look like one LONG amplifier. Since you don't need a ton of power, you'll have a TON of headroom with these amps.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
In most cases a 6 channel will work if it has enough power, but not the case for some that desire to run heavy duty midbass drivers including ones that are 8 ohms. Anything 50-100 watts x 6 should be enough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PM replied, some good stuff :D and I am really looking for amps without much distortion, I know a few of the 6 channel amps that meet my power requirive found had pretty high signal/noise ratios.

I have found a lot of good things said about older amps, even pioneers, Kenwoods and especialy Pheopnix Gold. but I don't know if the quality from their amps a few years ago translates to their current line ups.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
PM replied, some good stuff :D and I am really looking for amps without much distortion, I know a few of the 6 channel amps that meet my power requirive found had pretty high signal/noise ratios.

I have found a lot of good things said about older amps, even pioneers, Kenwoods and especialy Pheopnix Gold. but I don't know if the quality from their amps a few years ago translates to their current line ups.
The new PG's are built just like the old. They use LARGE Sanken outputs, wima caps, nice boards....the fact that their made in China shouldn't scare you away. Now the price that's a different story as they will be just as expensive as the old lines (M, MS, ZPA), but am sure you can find some good prices around.

I would love to hear on of the new PG's but way out of my price range. Anyone have one that's in the DFW area?:D

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
PM sent.....M25 on tweets, M50 on mids and M100 on your woofers. All matching and you can place them side by side to make it look like one LONG amplifier. Since you don't need a ton of power, you'll have a TON of headroom with these amps.
I would be all over this setup if you could find all three amps in good shape.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
If the sub section doesn't require much (and it really shouldn't for a SQ install) then two 4 channel amps is about the best & least expensive solutions. Can even use one smaller (50x4) and one larger (100x4) with the latter's rear bridged to run a sub. Other than that, JL's XD series seems to be about the best offering.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I'll just get a 6-channel amp over 3 2-channel amps at any 1 time...
This is for simplicity sake...
Sure but how big will the transformer (power supply) be? Would it be a better idea to have three large power supplies rather than one? I own several 4-5 ch amplifiers and while their power supply is pretty big, it doesn't compare to 3 separate power supplies.

Heck even some MONO amplifiers have DUAL power supplies, Kenwood kac-x401m for example.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Sure but how big will the transformer (power supply) be? Would it be a better idea to have three large power supplies rather than one? I own several 4-5 ch amplifiers and while their power supply is pretty big, it doesn't compare to 3 separate power supplies.

Heck even some MONO amplifiers have DUAL power supplies, Kenwood kac-x401m for example.
XD400/4 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - XD - JL Audio
XD200/2 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - XD - JL Audio
XD600/6 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - XD - JL Audio
I don't know what are you trying to prove(another typical screen dumb maybe?), but according to the above links, a XD 6-channel amp require only 50A while a XD 2-channel + 4-channel require 30A+50A...
If you were to compare a XD 6-channel vs a XD 2-channel and a XD 4-channel seperately, indeed your logic stands... Else, you are making fun of your self....

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Yep making fun of myself.

Some old school ADS amps had multiple PS, of course the bigger 4-8ch amps. I guess am just a sucker for transformers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright guys I'm narrowing in on 2 5 channel amps. I think these will do pretty much exactly what I need them to. They are JL 500/5 slash amps.

Specs

Front Channels: 100W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
Rear Channels: 25W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
Subwoofer Channel: 250W RMS @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
THD at Rated Power: <0.03% @ 4 ohm (F&R), <0.05% @ 4 ohm (Sub)
S/N Ratio* (F&R): >108.5 dB below rated power
S/N Ratio* (Sub): >95 dB below rated power
Frequency Response (front and rear): 5 Hz-30 KHz (+0, -1dB)
Frequency Response (sub channel): 5 Hz-500 Hz (+0, -1dB)
Damping Factor (front and rear): >200 @ 4 ohm/50 Hz
Damping Factor (sub channel): >500 @ 4 ohm/50 Hz
Input Range: switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS
Dimensions: 19.7"L x 9.25"W x 2.36"H

The front channels of one amp will power my driver side midbass and midrange. the front to the other amp will power my passanger side midbass and midrange.
I will bridge the rear outputs of each amp to powere my driver and passanger tweeters. and the sub channels will power whatever subs I end up with.

Any oppinions on this set up? I really like the low signal/noise ratio of these amps, and I hear they are somewhat under-rated. even if they aren't they are sufficient to drive my system.

And as a side effect my trunk can be semmetric. which will be kind of cool.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Personally, i would have went with 2 4 channels

One bridged to midbass

The other on midrange & tweets

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have any recommendations for some decent quality 4 channel's? and I am not opposed to a 4 and a 2 channel either as suggested above.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts