DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I only have .6 cu/ft what would be the best 10" or 12" to go with. This is for a stealth box which I made be able to get cheaply. Or should I just wait until I can find a 1.1 cu/ft box.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
mitchyz250f said:
If I only have .6 cu/ft what would be the best 10" or 12" to go with. This is for a stealth box which I made be able to get cheaply. Or should I just wait until I can find a 1.1 cu/ft box.

Dayton Reference HO 10".

On sale currently at partsexpress.com for 94+ shipping.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I just bought the 10"HO and have it in a box. No amp in the intended car but if weather permits I plan to put it in the "other" and take it for a spin this weekend. It's in a .673 CuFt box. Both vehicles have a small cabin and the "other" is not "quiet" inside :) I wrote something in the review section today, feel free to PM with questions. What are your listening preferences?

Chad

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
mitchyz250f said:
B5 Passat Sedan -I think that covers from 1998 - 2001

Ironic...what year exactly? My self, I drive a 98 1.8T 5M. :D
Oh, and it's 2001.5 ;).

I bought the 12" HO, and it's currently sitting next to me waiting patiently. The 12 is gonna need about .8 cubes sealed w/ around 700-800 watts rms @ 4ohms...which is exactly what I'll have for it.

I'd imagine the 10" would probably need around .5-.6 w/ about the same power.

·
Registered
524 Posts
mitchyz250f said:
I am sort of in the same boat. I will need a 10" only sub to fit in a .5-.6 cu/ft stealth enclosure. It will be receiving 500W from my new QAA4250. I was thinking about the Seas Lotus. Is the Dayton HO similar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in same position, looking for a compact (shallow) 10" sub with small sealed enclosure requirement (enclosure in passenger footwell)
I use a Phase LinearAliante myself which I am extremely pleased with - looking for alternatives for friends in same position.
I also looked at the Lotus SW250 but might need a little more cubes to do it justice (I run the Lotus Reference components - awesome!)

Any thoughts or experience on AVI, specifically the SLS-250?

AVI Subwoofers

·
Registered
578 Posts
d'ecosse said:
Any thoughts or experience on AVI, specifically the SLS-250?

AVI Subwoofers

Expensive when I looked into them a while back... And their products look to be the same I looked at about 2-3 years ago...

They do seem to have a good reputation with Mids\highs... but those are expensive as well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
racerraul said:
Expensive when I looked into them a while back...
Can you define "expensive"? That's not meant to sound snobby, just means different things to different folks.
More interested in the performance aspect for now, then we'll see if it is value for what it is. A guide on price would be helpful though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I hear ya...

To me it's expensive if I can find better for less... & that is often the case with RAW drivers if you DIY...

Any particular reason you are interested in the SLS-250? Quite frankly after looking at the specs, if it's more than $1 over the cost of a Dayton Referrence HO, it's expensive IMO.

The Dayton offer tons of bang for the money... low distortion, power handling & if I may say so looks great as well...

·
Registered
202 Posts
What about the Peerless Autosound XLS 10"? Should be good around .6 cubes and is 4.2" depth with no pole vent.

I'm curious about those AVIs' as well, though.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Try the seas lotus 10...I plotted it in winisd...for a qtc 0f .7, you'll need .68 cu ft. I think you can make it work fine in .6 cuft but stuff the inside with 50-70% fiberfill. The tc2+10 can work also in small sealed enclosures.

I have both subs but in 12". :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
invecs said:
Try the seas lotus 10...I plotted it in winisd...for a qtc 0f .7, you'll need .68 cu ft. I think you can make it work fine in .6 cuft but stuff the inside with 50-70% fiberfill. The tc2+10 can work also in small sealed enclosures.

I have both subs but in 12". :D
Actually the Dayton, Tc2+10, and the Seas Lotus are my tough choices. I love my Lotus mids and Dayton tweets in my other can and can only imagine what their subs sound like. :) I guess I am looking for a sub to sound like my original Koda 10 (which I love) but just a hair smoother and deeper.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Finleyville said:
Actually the Dayton, Tc2+10, and the Seas Lotus are my tough choices. I love my Lotus mids and Dayton tweets in my other can and can only imagine what their subs sound like. :) I guess I am looking for a sub to sound like my original Koda 10 (which I love) but just a hair smoother and deeper.
Haven't heard the Dayton. I like the upper bass and punchiness of the Lotus but does not extend as good as the tc2+. It just so happens that the Lotus matches the acoustics of my car, and the tc2+ matches the other system without any further tuning(just set the lowpass at 50Hz 12 db). It's hard to pick which one is the better driver. They both sound good just different. But if price is an issue and have some processing available, just get the tc2+. Oaudio has a sale on their drivers. I think you'll like the tc2+, it sounds deep plus the lowend is like crystal.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts